Silver Dream Machine

Jessopia74

Here's an earlier post mentions 4 pieces at 1.40m each 

Would you be interested in doing a group buy Jess ?

Only asking as you have already dealt with him, plus if would reduce the postage cost.

I don't do Facebook so have been a bit wary about contacting him, Would be a few interested parties.

cheers 

mick 

10 minutes ago, Mickfrad said:

Here's an earlier post mentions 4 pieces at 1.40m each 

Would you be interested in doing a group buy Jess ?

Only asking as you have already dealt with him, plus if would reduce the postage cost.

I don't do Facebook so have been a bit wary about contacting him, Would be a few interested parties.

cheers 

mick 

Yeah, I would be fine with that Mick. He was in contact via WhatsApp though too and kept me updated alll the way through with tracking info etc. 

although I have found this, so he might have his chap in Germany doing the eBay thing now.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bezugsstoff-Stoff-Opel-Manta-Ascona-Kadett-400-Sportsitz-seat-fabric-cloth/324018505454

Car not back yet, was not likely to get painted over the Holiday period, so no drama there. Would rather them do it right then rush it.

I somehow have ended up with 5 SAAB engines lol, so I have been sorting through these last couple of days. Stripped a T7 B235 2.3L for the crank and head - scrapped the block. Crank & T7 head will be for the black coupe, to go with the T5 B234 2.3L engine

Managed to get a couple of B204 (2L early T5 variants) at a great price, one with very low miles. So I have started to rebuild one ready for Silver Dream Machine Today. Will not be as straightforward a fit as the C20XE I have (will save this for something in future),  but it will be a nice easy 200bhp and a great SAAB T5 engine management for drivability. Yes these engines can easily hit 350+Bhp on the std internals, but rest of drive train will not 🙈 gearbox 🥊

The more I learn about this Trionic ECU, the more impressed with it I become. Fully sequential inj and spark. Firing order and knock sensing via the coil pack using some clever ionisation circuitry 🤯  would be great to run the Redtop on this if I can figure a way to use the DI 🤔

Anyway... Lots of new parts arrived, mostly for the injection conversion. Already got the Inj tank from a nice chap in Ireland last year, so should be ready to start it once I get car back with fresh paint.

Whist this is more a restromod at the moment, I won’t be chopping anything anywhere, so it can all be put back to its std GT/J trim. I refrained from having all the trim pins removed already 👍

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Edited by Jessopia74
  • Like 3

Little update on progress with engine. Car still at paint shop.

Back to working on engine today. Mostly sorting through my ever growing acquired parts in the shed (down at Garage), omg It soon becomes a monster! 
Anyway dig out some of my oem manta bits and done some measurements off the C20xe block with 1.8 engine mounts. Since I will be doing same type of engine, but bigger bhp in the black coupe, it feels like the time I spend doing planning is definitely worth while.

Had a good chat on Saturday over FB with a chap that has done this conversion into Ascona. Seems getting it low is the key, but there was some good news too. It seems there is clearance at the rear of the cylinder head for a hose connection, so my idea of conversion to a Banjo fitting will work even better, but not absolutely necessary.

next question was about the sump. The Chap had used a std SAAB sump, cut and then welded up his own baffled sump, that sits forward of the steering rack. I am not overly keen on this idea myself. I have already ordered a laser cut steel sump flange, So got a manta 1.8 sump out to make some measurements to see about fabrication. However it’s not that far off as is. It will require an alloy flange machined and then welding to the manta 1.8sump but it would be the least amount of welding required, aesthetically pleasant and no welds in the bowl that would be submerged in oil. I have heard some stories of cast going a little porous at welds.

Roughing up the position of the engine mountings central line from the bell housing flange. Again the 1.8 engine mounts come to some use here to help identify where my mountings need to roughly be. Obviously final fettling would be done in the car, but wow the right side (left in picture as edging is sump up) is very close. So RH side will be really easy to fabricate, although the dipstick tube needs to go through it. I am going to build a jig to help with these 👍

LH side engine mounting is going to be a bit tricky. In the pictures you can see it sits close to oil filter housing (solution found below) and turbo oil drain return at the other side. Bracket will sit higher, might need to create some soarer on subframe or a way to create a column to sit on top of the mounting, like a tube with section cut out for access to the mounting nut. The jig will help solve this one. But turbo is going up higher, so will be well out if the way.

Oil filter will need to be replaced, however again the chap with the Ascona put me onto a couple of adapter plates on eBay for remote filter mounting. Oem fitting will be in the way of mounting.

Any pictures I have shared that are from Dutch Ascona are clearly marked ‘ Ascona’ to save confusion, but I wanted to share so that it might help others, and may help you understand what the feck I am rambling on about 🤪🤪

Also check out that Dutch Ascona double ARB 🤔

• Like 4

So progress has been a little slow as had a bit of paid work on the go, and now getting ready to get back at it properly (Holland).

Been working on the B205 Lump. New shells installed, although this is a very well looked after engine and has had regular oil changes. Very little carbon build up. And delete the balance shafts. They are left in, but locked up against the gear drive bearing block (shim washer does the trick here), with a blanking plate fitted in place of the chain tensioner.

Then have been looking at the ecu. I have purchased a used ‘combi adapter’ so that I can change the map within the SAAB ECU. Takes a little getting used to and a fan setting up the USB due to driver restrictions in win10, but it’s connecting to a spare T5.5 ecu now and allowing me to dump the Map, read settings etc. 
This is will allow me to pretty much manipulate the T5 to run as a stand alone management on the SAAB lump.

Or another lump if the DIS is used with HT leads, found this whilst I was looking about at other figments, that is interesting for sure.

Time has come (well space has come). Final prep, primer and then will be going into paint. Feels like end is in sight now.

Turns out after it’s been triple checked the silver that was on the car from previous, was not as per original code. A fair few shades lighter 🤔

• Like 4

Indeed, just a shame I cant see it in the flesh.  

They think they will get it all finished, including the shuts etc and back together for when I get back home end of themonth, coincidentally its my birthday so it would great to be able yo take it for a spin, even with its measly 90bhp 💪

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Well it’s been a looooooong time, but not far from getting car back from body shop.

They have some snagging points to fix, a bit of the black trim that needs to be painted. 
Thinking the alloys now need to Dark anthracite with polished rim?

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

Thinking something along the lines of the attached picture. Sticking to 17” 👍 even though my gut is telling me could carry 18” off on our arches.

Spot-on! They would look very smart! 

I'm sure I've read before about some fitting 17 or 18 inch wheels to Manta's and reverting back down to 15 inch as they ruined the ride etc. 

What width do you plan on getting?  .... and tyre size/profile? 

• Like 1

Nankang NS20 215/40/17 front

not sure on rears, need to figure out offset and rim width. 
Hope to squeeze 235 on rear.

Tyre shop opposite garage so I can mess about a little with tyres, but been using the following tool.

https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?wheel1=195-60-14X6.5ET39&wheel2=235-30-17X8ET25&fcl=50mm&wcl=30mm&scl=50mm&sr=0mm

Edited by Jessopia74
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Very minor update; some  would say it’s virtually not even worth a post, me included 😂

After the big clean up ( see my black Coupe thread), I wanted to quickly test a few components I had purchased for the Megasquirt2 setup, but never got around to checking,
only a couple if basic bits, coolant sensor, air temp sensor, Bosch TPS and wide band lambda sensor (Spartan2).

was supposed to be a quick test, but After 2hours messing, turns out I have somehow managed to order the wrong TPS I needed (with micro switch wide open). I knew I did not want this type, 🤯

So things are coming together nicely for the Injection setup for the XE engine at least.

Only thing I need now is the bloody car back from paint shop. They have been closed due to lockdown, so I can’t be (too) angry I guess. Problem is time I have available to tinker us also running out quickly. Just a coincidence that lockdown weeks gave been my break time between contracts; so lost nothing as such, but not got much done I wanted to either.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Been to pick up from paint shop, but still not 100% happy with a couple of small areas in gully and underside of bonnet. There us a lot if interest in coupes at the moment  So;

The big question is, now I have seen it just about finished I am thinking it should stay relatively standard. 

What you think this is worth guys as thinking I might sell it. I have a tad over 8K in it now without my time. Do I push on and fit a Redtop then sell?

Its just taken a lot longer to get the paint done properly. It’s 90% on its way to be a really great car, but is now going to run into my other projects (that are starting to stack up ).

🤔

• 5 months later...

Does anyone know the part number for the larger side trim clips?

I have had thus before and due get the right ones in the end, but for the life of me can't find who gave me the part number or where had them.🤦🏻‍♂️

ones we got are again too small, these must be for the earlier thinner chrome trim, not the larger rubber as in the picture fitted to this car.