Silver Dream Machine

Jessopia74

2 hours ago, IanMc said:

How many do you need Jess?

I might have a couple of spare ones in the garage.

Think I need about 4 mate, last one I bought in pack of 10s, but a couple broke when fitting as they seem a bit more fragile than originals.

OEM was transulecenet milky colour, replacements solid white.

So I bought the small originally that was wrong from eBay in Germany, then I found (somehow, sure someone told me where to get right ones) direct from one if the more obscure EU sellers a year ago. But can't find the invoice 🤦🏻‍♂️
So ordered what I thought was right ones, but they are the same small ones I already incorrectly ordered.🥳

On 28/07/2020 at 22:46, Jessopia74 said:

Been to pick up from paint shop, but still not 100% happy with a couple of small areas in gully and underside of bonnet. There us a lot if interest in coupes at the moment  So;

The big question is, now I have seen it just about finished I am thinking it should stay relatively standard. 

What you think this is worth guys as thinking I might sell it. I have a tad over 8K in it now without my time. Do I push on and fit a Redtop then sell?

Its just taken a lot longer to get the paint done properly. It’s 90% on its way to be a really great car, but is now going to run into my other projects (that are starting to stack up ).

Fit the redtop, you wont sell it! Its the car opel should have made!

I have a total of four like the ones in your image Jess. I am happy to send you two, but would like to keep hold of the others myself - you know, just in case...

Does just two help you though?

DM me your address if it goes help and I will post them to you mate.

Sorry Jess, missed your post saying you need four, I will stretch to three for you lol 

2 minutes ago, ®evo03 said:

3d printers could replicate these, but of course, they need a sample! Ive another plastic item in mind to get replicated.

That’s a really good shout mate. I would be very happy to provide the sample, for a couple of spares in return.

Edited by IanMc

• 2 months later...

Picked up some of the window runner/guide repair bits last Friday from Reprotec inn Germany - 2 day delivery, thank you very much 😎 Drivers glass is a little wobbly, the passenger side is solid though, but will look at doing both anyway. However it's at the paint shop as getting the trims colour coded.

What you think, yes or no? Too much from OEM?

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

What you think, yes or no? Too much from OEM?

That's what Opel should have done in the first place. Bloody hideous things and short of removing them, anything that makes them less obvious the better imho. 

• Thanks 1

I used to hate the chunky black, when I was younger I had a b with the smaller ones, I went to look at a facelift Berlinetta and couldn’t believe Opel had put chunky lumps of plastic on a coupe. But, when I look at standard cars now on fb I don’t mind, I’d say black as it’s original, but only for originality, for looks i agree with Monaco, what were Opel thinking 😂

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

This time off work rotation going to get a bit of time on the Silver Dream Machine. Going to knock a few tasks off the Nice to have list. My Son is helping and learning a bit more.

GLASS: I managed to get a new screen to replace mine with the cellular Aerial fitted, so that annoyance will be gone. Rear glass is removed too as the rubber was looking a bit rubbish. Whilst they are out will get valet team in so the pay can get good access to those difficult spots too. Got a new pair of door glass guides and one of the top kits to take a little wobble out of the drivers door glass.

ENGINE: Doing a few minor jobs on the engine whilst it's in the Garage, had a couple of minor oil leaks. Camshaft oil seal and the cam cover. So whilst at it, it can have a new timing belt, crank & Cam oil seals and water pump. 

WHEELS: New ones will be here Wednesday. Nothing much different to what's fitted, but these are old and funnily enough have a buyer that has been asking for them for his Rover.  Once taken a good refurb on each into consideration , new was the way to go.

FUTURE PREP: running an additional wire to rear, swapping fuel tank to GTE one and putting in new fuel feed/return pipes in. Started rebuild on the c20xe 

Edited by Jessopia74
Missing parts of sentence
  • Like 3

Driver Door glass guides replaced today. Usual cruddy experience, in/out in/out, feck about.

all done though and it shuts and seals lovely now. As it's a relatively low mileage car, the seals still have the mechanical movement of the lip as expected to fold in over the glass. 

Edited by Jessopia74
Pic
  • Like 3

Had a couple if days away and come back home to a nice delivery of bits😎 Things might go slow again though as should get keys to my new property today, so got a lot to sort there with tradesmen ( if they show up ofc!) before I head back away with work 😞

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Monaco Blue said:

That's looking very nice with the colour coded bump strips! Much more discreet, and the way they should have looked fresh from the factory.

Thanks Mate, was not 100% sure how it would look, but after it was done it was the right choice. I know not everyone will approve, but they way I look at it they needed to be painted anyway as the rubber was looking tired, so in the future they can always be re-done black. 

Trying to keep to things that can be undone if taste or owner changes in the future 

• Like 2

Today got the 1.8 back up and running. Was sent 2 crank oil seals rather than a camshaft, so been waiting for replacement to arrive and trying to fit in with tearing the new property to bits 😞

Replaced Crank oil seal, Cam oil seal, water pump,  timing belt and thermostat. Seemed a bit of a shame to remove the OE parts tbh, but although they visually looked good, you never know when they are old.

Was bit of a pig to bleed coolant system, as usual 🤬

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Tyres had arrived whilst I been away with work, so today took the rears to get set. 235/40R17 if anyone was wondering and as measured previously fit lovely on the rear axle 😎 it's like the Manta was way ahead of its time with arch size. But remember the overall diameter of these wheels is still only ~30mm larger than 195/60R14 STD GTE rim size (speedo will read 4.8% high) . That's 15mm from hub centre. Still plenty of room IMHO. 

Current pic shows the 235 fitted to front too, but will fit the 215s as my arms are not quite the size of Dwayne Johnson's 😂 plus we know they would fowl at lock, but just on for effect 😎😎

Did speak to a chap that can high resolution 3D print and might make some covers with blitz logo like the GTE rims to cover the bolts (new skinny bolts are awesome btw), will see how I feel.

Semi Forged rims and new modern tyres, so a weight saving too. Looks like it should be lowered  1" now, but it will stay as is as all the springs are new from a matched kit. Still a few bits to do, but now wondering if I should even put the Berlinetta decals on🤔

Underside as said has all been steam cleaned a couple of times now so it's really honest with what can be seen. I do not like under body Shultz black 'hide the poor repairs', but I may invest in having it done in U-Pol Raptor, as my 400 shell floors (inside &out) was done in it and it's excellent stuff. Something is needed now for sure as it's down to bare metal in places as the steam cleaning pressures from these big industrial machines is crazy, strips everything. I dare say with enough time you could virtually strip a whole shell. 

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

Still a few bits to do, but now wondering if I should even put the Berlinetta decals on🤔

It's looking spot-on! Very nice indeed. 👍

As for your question, I would put the Berlinetta decals (and the others) back on. I tend to think it looks a bit bare without them. And it stops folk asking you continuously, what it is! 🙂 

• Thanks 1

Thanks chaps.

Finished off the wheels today. Now sat on 235/40R17 rears, 215/40R17 fronts. thought I would get it outside 😎

Hope to try and get the replacement screen and rear fitted (I need to solder the heated screen tabs back on first 😬) . 
Started to replace the brake pipes today, but that's about all.

I need new washer jets - can't seem to find them now, any pointers?

Edited by Jessopia74

good luck soldering the tabs back on. i never managed it but what i did was bought some self adhesive copper sheet.this has to be the type with conductive glue. i beleive its used for guitar sheilding and other uses.

i fitted a long strip on each side .

i then soldered the tabs to that. no problems so far. 

also regarding the washer jets.if they are working ok and not damaged they will t cut up well .( or even repaint !)

• Like 1

Sadly need new ones as they have gone walkabouts 🤦🏻‍♂️

Used the conductive glue in the past, but as the glass is out, good chance I can solder it. Takes a bit of faffing about with hot air gun and high watt soldering gun. Chance of failure is high 😂