Silver Dream Machine

Jessopia74

On 23/09/2021 at 20:20, Jessopia74 said:I need new washer jets - can't seem to find them now, any pointers?

I’ve ordered these, they look to be pretty close

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OPEL-KADETT-FRONT-WINDSCREEN-WASHER-JETS-NOZZLE-WATER-SPRAY-JET-X2-VAUXHALL-/221919049574?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

• Thanks 1

Glass in. He did a good job and used the right semi setting black Arbo.

Just need to get a valet booked now.

spline gone in one of the headlamp wiper arms 🤦🏻‍♂️ Have a couple of spares luckily.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Edited by Jessopia74
Forgot pics
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

Glass in. He did a good job and used the right semi setting black Arbo.

Just need to get a valet booked now.

spline gone in one of the headlamp wiper arms 🤦🏻‍♂️ Have a couple of spares luckily.

Looking very nice. You got a link to the window sealant as i need to fit my windows in a week or so and wasn't too sure what was the best stuff to use as it was a while ago i last fitted them!!

21 hours ago, 611 said:

Looking very nice. You got a link to the window sealant as i need to fit my windows in a week or so and wasn't too sure what was the best stuff to use as it was a while ago i last fitted them!!

I'll text and ask him for it as he brought it. Had to wait till it was delivered as 'not very common now'. LoL I bet! Did make me chuckle.

3 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

I'll text and ask him for it as he brought it. Had to wait till it was delivered as 'not very common now'. LoL I bet! Did make me chuckle.

Thanks, mate, i really appreciate it.

I would like to use the proper stuff if i could. 

Not fussed if i have to order it as i have a bit to keep my busy before i get onto the windows 🙂

Andy

23 hours ago, 611 said:

Thanks, mate, i really appreciate it.

I would like to use the proper stuff if i could. 

Not fussed if i have to order it as i have a bit to keep my busy before i get onto the windows 🙂

Andy

Here you go andy

https://www.dortechdirect.co.uk/arbomast-autograde-sealant-for-windscreens.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw2bmLBhBREiwAZ6ugoxqTZIEbqVfnJ2NOeDoiaz6vA7JAPqiPFo0oG_sL7y2ejwz5abVfLBoCFwEQAvD_BwE

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul Barrett said:

Thanks, mate. Thanks for that.

That is nice and cheap as well 🙂 i will get a couple of tubes ordered.

Let me know when your free to help fit the screens 🙂

Andy

Just now, Paul Barrett said:

I haven’t even bonded mine in! Never got round it. 
dead easy though with some cord. Then after apply a small bead under the rubber lip all the way round by lifting it, then wipe up to stop leaks etc 

Did them years ago and remember the back being easy but the front a bit trickier on my own! I always wondered if they sealed them from the factory or just left the rubber to do its job?

• 3 months later...

Been a while, but wanted to do a bit on a chasis rail that had a bit of a crack in I noticed when we was refitting the front axle, way back. So, It has been more than a 'while' then 😂

I only thought to do the history pics after I had started, so a couple of early investigation steps missing, but keeps the cars history thread complete.

Anyway, usual stuff here;  once I started to investigate with flap wheel, it needed some crud metal chopping out and a new patch putting in. The inner rail metal was not bad, it's the outer skin where one of the 'fuel pipe tabs' was spot welded on that it's started at. Not a usual place to go from outside in my experience, so only thing I can think of is that it had picked up something in the past that got stuck on the tab and held water in this spot . Just the usual process of cut crap & grind out rusted steel etc, rust treated, zinc primer (using new to me, Upol as in pic, excellent weld through and very Zinc rich) and weld in new steel. Anyway, on to the pics......

Edited by Jessopia74
  • Like 7

• 1 month later...

After doing the work on the rail repai,I did remove the fuel pipe and had that down for replacement with Ethanol safe pipe. The tank needs to come out to have the pipes changes, so have started that. Did find a little corrosion behind the tank on the bungs, mostly surface but will follow the standard practice of wire wheel it back to steel, treat with Bilt Hamber, and then couple of good coats of paint.

Rear brake pipe was looking a little poor in some spots around the rubbers on the fixing tabs, so have replaced that from front -rear too. Axles ones had already been done. 
A little knocked off the to do list. 

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Part of the process when repairing the rail last time, I needed to remove the fuel line and it was knackered, so it would need to be replaced.  
I opted to replace the fuel pipe with nickel/copper, and ethanol stable braided rubber from tank to carb, not a fan of nylon. Thought I would tackle some surface rust on the underside whilst under there, pretty large area behind the rear axle and as the grommets for fuel lines sit here, good chance to remove them and get it all treated inside/outside and primed. Usual process wire wheel/brush then Bilt-Hamber, finish with some primer.

The whole underside could do with Soda blasting and painting tbh, but as I am supposed to be thinking about selling this( perhaps , possibly not 😂), I like to keep it honest as it is. Then again I do want to sort rear axle 🤔

Anyway will tackle the exhaust next as its needs a new one. Have ordered a Sportex from eBay for the 1.8. Not much choice these days,  😔

• Like 3

My Barn Find 😂

It is unbelievably dusty after been in the garage for the last year, but still somewhat is shining in the Sun. Still needs detailing and it’s machine polish before I can put the decals on.

Edited by Jessopia74
  • Like 2

New exhaust arrived. Sportex for 1.8 coupe @£200 delivered.

Slight problems with it. Can’t say I have ever had a Manta sports exhaust that fits without a bit of a fight and adjustment, but this has some issues.

1) the over axle bend is at the wrong angle and hits the cross member. 
2 Backbox when inlet is rotated to the usual angle has the bracket out by 90deg. So will need to rotate it.

To rectify Problem 1, it’s looking.like a combination of the mid pipe not been bent quite right, making middle box nose down a little and to the o/s.  However, even with the box exactly squared with middle pipe not fitted, the over axle pipe is just not angled down enough after the top radius. 

So it’s a bit of cutting and welding to rectify the issues. I am lucky that I have decent equipment on hand in the Garage. If this was on a pair of ramps on driveway it would be an issue. I am going to moan at the seller on eBay before I cut it though. And I will give Sportex a call to double check.

The original down pipe/mid section is 1 piece on the 1.8 , so it needs to be measured and cut to slip the new mid pipe over. Simple enough this part and the new mid pipe is shrunk a little so it’s a nice fit at this point.

Edited by Jessopia74
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Jonathan Pounsett said:

That’s a pain. It looks like it’s good quality in all other respects. It was probably the last one they made one Friday afternoon.

Hopefully they’ll send you another one.

Exactly what I said to my son 😆

‘It is pretty well made, looking on the Sportex site they don’t seem to list the 1.8 now and prices are like £90 more than I paid.

Just looking at pics of mid boxes and other exhuast parts on a few sites that sell original fit, the picture attached shows really clearly the angled inlet to backbox and where the bracket is oriented in relation. So the Sportex back-box I have it definitely wrong 

3 hours ago, Mike. said:

I asked Sportex if they did the Oval chrome tail pipe but they said no, that would have been a nice option to have. 
The Sportex exhaust sounds good when fitted.

It does nicely fit together, joints are snug but not too tight that they can’t be moved. I did start it already without clamps and it does sound better than the old system, so pleased with its note, just a couple of snags on fitment 

• Like 1

Not going well with these ‘off the shelf’ parts. Radiator arrived today and it’s got issues.

1) it’s been packed when paint(that I paid extra for) hadn’t dried, so some has come off on the cardboard packing on sides.

2) Mounting tabs are too long for std. fitment 🤦‍♂️

So it will need cutting and painting after all . 
THANKS COOLEX 🙈 Won’t be buying from you again !

Edited by Jessopia74
  • Sad 1

Where is the quality control in these companies? Are people accepting these products without giving any feedback on the issues?

The rad I bought recently was damaged so I complained. Within 5 minutes I got an apology and told a replacement had been dispatched. I was able to use the damaged one for all my trial fitting when I was fabricating the cradle and fixing brackets. 

• Like 1