Starmist black exclusive coupe

ANDY ABBOTT

9 minutes ago, Monaco Blue said:

Well, that all fits in nicely! and still a bit of room to spare. Not sure painting the walls white was the best idea though! :)

White walls to make it brighter 😀 I'll have to keep on top of it. I wasn't really ment to be doing this kind of job in here lol. But just thought screw it, I'm sick of spending so much time at my work unit. I needed to seperate myself from the place a bit.

• Like 2

Looks about the same condition underneath as Silver gDream machine, so not bad mate at all!

yeah space wise it’s a bit of a tardis now you got the cars in 🍻

As for blankets, cheap and cheerful old fire blankets work well for curtains, unless you mean to cover completely, then you would need a fair few stitched together.

• Like 1

Got a couple hours in garage last night. Spent more time putting car covers on mancona and Commodore and setting up my mig welder, than I actually spent on the car lol. Did manage to get some rot cut out, and a little welding done. Hoping I'll get a few more hours in later this afternoon. Was out early doors this morning to a local ish auto jumble. Found a cam follower press tool, so had to have it for £20. Probley never use it, but it will look good on the shelf of manta tools 😂 also found some new Hella spots that look a good size to go in bottom of A manta bumper so grabbed those too.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Edited by ANDY ABBOTT
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

Was there ever an oem fitment of front fogs to the exclusive mate?

Not in the UK as far as I know. They might have been on mainland Europe, as I've sen lots with them fitted. There is a cut-out marked on the inside of the front apron for them.

They look spot-on IMHO.

Edited by Monaco Blue
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jessopia74 said:

Ah, did not that mate, that helps!

yeah I have seen loads of pictures with them fitted, so it was always a question I did mean to ask. As you say it might be a continental thing, but I do like the look of them.

As above not sure if they was a factory fit but there's markings to cut out inside bumper.

Slow progress today really. Struggling to get the hang of this new welder, spending more time faffing with it than working. Managed to complete the inner section and get a sill plate welded in. Still some flatting to do and the bottom edge to finish, but I'm getting to grips with it now. Bit more time with it and I'll have it figured out. 

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

Yeah a new welder takes time to get used to, but still very tidy work mate.

Thanks mate, just getting to know the settings along with wire speed and gas flow. The welder I normally use at work is a nice big 3 phase cebora one. I've had it that long and got so comfortable with it, I can stuck it straight on the settings for welding thin manta steel without even having to think about it or practice. As you at just takes time. 

Even changing the mig wire thickness messes mine,  its a sealey, built for welding mantas. I practice using scrap pieces to get the settings.

Andy have you even polished metal with a wire wheel and a sanding block, then try welding it, its amazing the difference.

Garage looks great, mine could do with a big log burner shoved in the corner! Its not good when you can see your own breathe inside

44 minutes ago, ®evo03 said:

Even changing the mig wire thickness messes mine,  its a sealey, built for welding mantas. I practice using scrap pieces to get the settings.

Andy have you even polished metal with a wire wheel and a sanding block, then try welding it, its amazing the difference.

Garage looks great, mine could do with a big log burner shoved in the corner! Its not good when you can see your own breathe inside

It's a pain mate, I did set it up on some new steel sheet before hand. And it all good till you try and weld that new steel against manta steel, they must be made out of real crap metal. I've welded  a lot of cars and mantas always seem to be the worst. I must admit I've never tried to polish it. 

Finished off the rear sill section today and cut out the rotten swan neck and section of chassis rail. New inner made and welded in place. New section of chassis rail cut yo size. Tomorrow I'll install that section along with the swan neck cover. Still struggling with this mig lol

• Like 4

Got central heating in the garage ,it’s not that big but 15 degrees inside -3 degrees out side 

Very snug to work in , no manta yet but got a plan

1 minute ago, ANDY ABBOTT said:

This is by far not the neatest job I've ever done, and I'm going to blame this mig 😂 but it'll be strong and gets it done. 

Looking ok to me ,

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

Looking good mate. Great guides for me to follow chopping rather crud ones out of my black coupe once I get started.

Quick question, do you need to brace anywhere when you cut the swan neck out! 

I'm only doing one side at a time, done it this way many times never an issue. I cut one side of the crossmember hole, add some inner section and weld it in. Then cut other side of hole and work back, so not to loose its position. I have a jig that I'll fit tomorrow just to double check it's still in correct location, but do it this way all the time and not had one not fit yet 🤞

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, ANDY ABBOTT said:

I'm only doing one side at a time, done it this way many times never an issue. I cut one side of the crossmember hole, add some inner section and weld it in. Then cut other side of hole and work back, so not to loose its position. I have a jig that I'll fit tomorrow just to double check it's still in correct location, but do it this way all the time and not had one not fit yet 🤞

Ok thanks mate, worth asking as I was not sure if it would flex. Happy to not gave to mess about with braces if not required 👍

15 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

Ok thanks mate, worth asking as I was not sure if it would flex. Happy to not gave to mess about with braces if not required 👍

If the shell was real bad, and lots of steel had been cut out I'd be wurried. But all ones I've done have been ok. Most of them I do on the ground. I do prefer to do them on the floor if I'm being honest lol

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 1200bandit said:

Got central heating in the garage ,it’s not that big but 15 degrees inside -3 degrees out side 

Very snug to work in , no manta yet but got a plan

Looking ok to me ,

Nice looking bike mate. I hope your plan comes together, and you manage to get hold another manta in the near future 👍

• 2 months later...

Bored today, so beginning the passenger side swan neck removal on this one. Chassis rail looked ok, but as I have a pair here thought I may as well just take the lot out. Got rail off and some of the swan neck. Started to fabricate the new inner and I'll work my way forward, further up the swan neck. 

• Like 1