eBay and alcohol

Buz

Good evening . Almost to the minute , 14 days ago , I was in a similar position to this very evening , tired and feeling the effects of gin . It was during this point that I decided to place a bid on an orange Manta b , only one bid which I assured myself would be outbid by the morning .... apparently not as I woke up to a " congratulations you have won " notification 😂.  Anyway. , I collected the car yesterday after a 400 mile round trip and although it's rusty/ rotten in most places I love it . I'm in two minds whether to restore it or do a 400 replica , with the latter being the favourite as I grew up with group b rallying and live on the doorstep of Shelsley Walsh and fancy a bit of light competition . Nice to meet you all and I can't wait to get stuck into it but have a couple of other projects that I have promised to finish first . 

• Like 1

Hello and welcome, best place for manta help right here! Seems your not pushed what direction this goes, any car ive done to date was kinda planned, not set in stone, but i did know from the offset.

Its all depends what you want out of it, use, ownership length etc. Is a modified 400r worth more than a original b,? Will it cost more to restore, buying parts for original or modified bits. 

What about a poll ! Get some pics up! 

• Like 1

I'm definitely leaning towards a 400 replica , it just seems a shame to not restore it but at least it's another one saved 👍

IMG_0084.JPG

I will post some more photos when I get back. The cars on a ' p ' plate , registered 7th November 1975 so it's quite an early B 

I most certainly is. I'm now 99 percent sure that I'm going to restore the car rather than do a 400 replica. I think it deserves it. A few engine mods are allowed though surely 

IMG_0581.JPG

IMG_0582.JPG

And the tow bar can definitely go 😜

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Buz said:

I most certainly is. I'm now 99 percent sure that I'm going to restore the car rather than do a 400 replica. I think it deserves it.

Indeed it does. Very definitely the best decision!  :thumbup  More so given it's a 75 model, and complete with the headlamp surrounds. 

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with doing a few mods in the engine dept, 5 speed box, lowered (a bit) & banded Rostyles but keep the car looking largely as it came out the showroom including the satin black rear panel which was a feature on the early Manta B SR's.

Why not do similar to this 1976 Manta SR that i owned a few years ago (mods not done by me)

4.thumb.jpg.c2ba8739fee0262f90a5d7dc378362d0.jpg

• Like 1

So I'm now fully committed to restoring the car to original with a few engine mods . Could somebody enlighten me on the headlamp surrounds as I have noticed some cars do and some don't  also I just wondered what everyone thinks of the colour ? 

I'm still trying to convince my wife that this is the best £400 I have ever spent and how easy I have made it for her to buy me presents now ............

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rapierdave said:

Nothing wrong with doing a few mods in the engine dept, 5 speed box, lowered (a bit) & banded Rostyles.......4.thumb.jpg.c2ba8739fee0262f90a5d7dc378362d0.jpg

Yep, agree, it has to be one of the earliest, only sold from 1975 onwards.

Need to find you a photo for some inspiration! 

manta-19-e-gte-signalocker-2-21-300x178.jpg

manta-b-19-gte-werkstatt-26-300x199.jpg

5 minutes ago, Buz said:

So I'm now fully committed to restoring the car to original with a few engine mods . Could somebody enlighten me on the headlamp surrounds as I have noticed some cars do and some don't  also I just wondered what everyone thinks of the colour ? 

Yep keep the colour! Suits early b's and gte's 

Headlamp surrounds where an optional extra, not all had them, think they where an after thought to direct light forward, and to keep it off the edge of the light

I'm still trying to convince my wife that this is the best £400 I have ever spent and how easy I have made it for her to buy me presents now ............

Yeh just tell her when was the last time you bought a dress or shoes and for them to be worth tens times that and upwards, when done. 

• Like 1

Great you are restoring the car to original, hope we can meet you at "your project" . 

@Rapierdave: Your pic was like a time-lap back to 30 years ago, was my first Manta, original 1.6S B1 but soon a 2 liter with 5 speed and some upgrades:

IWLTJAY.jpg

Edited by H-400
  • Like 3

Spent all weekend last weekend clearing out a shed to store the manta in , threw away loads of stuff that I had previously said was important to keep . Once it's in , I'm going to start a project post and decide on its gender , I understand that gender isn't " pc " , but I don't want to keep calling it " it " I'm leaning towards feminine ... thoughts ? 

your project 

• Haha 1

Would be lovely to see it restored to original. Very early car (first six weeks of deliveries) and I could only find one VIN number lower when I researched it in my ownership.

Has some very unusual early features that were deleted after the first year.

Good luck with it whatever you decide.

• Like 3

I'm now totally committed to restoring the car . The plan is to restore the body back to original condition , fit some bbs rs wheels , tune the engine and fit some twin webers, and recon the interior ( houndstooth and black leather ) , something like this ...... 

IMG_0584.PNG

But with the steering wheel on the other side 😂

Edited by Buz
Altered photo
  • Like 2

At the risk of sounding lazy , where do you research vin numbers , and which features does  it have that were deleted . Someone has already mentioned headlamp surrounds . Small things have massive impact, when I collected the car and noticed the mantaray badge behind the wheel on the front wing , this was when i first thought that it might be best to restore it rather than do a 400 replica 

• Like 1

Here goes:-

The front scuttle has drain holes in the wiper recesses

the wiper arms have external bolts for the arms, not caps.

the manual console has a cutout panel around the handbrake (deleted for reasons of cost and they never fitted well but retained on the automatic)

Different gearstick gaiter 

the spare wheel well has a bracket welded beside the rear wing to store the jack and tools (replaced by a vinyl bag)

flat glove box release button 

front panel has a bracket and pipe running to the air cleaner (again, simplified and cheaper on later cars)

MPH only speedo with numbers at 10, 30, 50 etc which was replaced by mph/kph and numbers at 20, 40, 60- easier to read at a glance

Thats all I can remember off the top of my head.!!

• Thanks 1

i was very close to buying that car myself from James.  i viewed the car and thought it was great. but the timming was wrong. also i was paying around £1000 for it so you have got a real bargain .

great you are keeping it mostly orginal. as its one cool manta . the colour also i think is great.

would love to see a fresh painted panel. im sure it would look great. in the original colour

cant wait to see more photos as the resto takes shape. best of luck any help i can give will do.

also james is the wizz on the manta so any help or advice from james is top 

Edited by droop snoot hp firenza
  • Like 1