1 owner black GTE coupe

ANDY ABBOTT

So another car popped up on face ache, that I couldn't couldn't turn my nose up at. 1 owner 58.000 miles GTE coupe. First impressions are not to bad. It needs welding above jacking points, A posts, inner sills, battery tray, under washer bottle, some bubbling to rear arches, and swan necks have just started to swell and splitt. I'm sure I'll find more as I go along. The plan for this is to go back to standard and put it right. There's no previous repairs to reverse, which is always a bonus. It's been sat in a council garage since 2004. The previous owner passed away, and kids managed to get in and use it as a stoner den. They have caused some damage, slashed seats, roof lining  battered it around the body work and smashed the front screen. I'll get the welding done in this while my i240r project is in body shop so nothing I can do on that at the moment. I like to get all the welding out the way on all my projects first so at least the worst bit is out the way, and the shell is solid. I swapped out the fuel pump, drained and replaced the fuel and oil, put a bettery on it and it fired right up. I'll get it all stripped and welding done over the coming weeks and update this thread. 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Edited by ANDY ABBOTT
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, Julian said:

That looks good Andy, they still appear now and then. I hope you gave those kids a good kicking!!!! What a way to treat Religion!!  Don't parents teach kids anything these days?  

Not from neck of the woods unfortunately Julian. The car has come from Essex way. I'm up in Manchester. Lol 

5 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

Nice 1 Andy 👍

what group was this advertised in mate?

Think it came up on UK garage finds,then some one shared to the omoc fan page. The guy was asking for offers. I pm him my best offer he messaged back day after said I'd made the best offer, so he accepted 

21 hours ago, ANDY ABBOTT said:

So another car popped up on face ache, that I couldn't couldn't turn my nose up at. 1 owner 58.000 miles GTE coupe. First impressions are not to bad. It needs welding above jacking points, A posts, inner sills, battery tray, under washer bottle, some bubbling to rear arches, and swan necks have just started to swell and splitt. I'm sure I'll find more as I go along. The plan for this is to go back to standard and put it right. There's no previous repairs to reverse, which is always a bonus. It's been sat in a council garage since 2004. The previous owner passed away, and kids managed to get in and use it as a stoner den. They have caused some damage, slashed seats, roof lining  battered it around the body work and smashed the front screen. I'll get the welding done in this while my i240r project is in body shop so nothing I can do on that at the moment. I like to get all the welding out the way on all my projects first so at least the worst bit is out the way, and the shell is solid. I swapped out the fuel pump, drained and replaced the fuel and oil, put a bettery on it and it fired right up. I'll get it all stripped and welding done over the coming weeks and update this thread. 

That's 3 one owner Manta's that have appeared this week! Looks good! What a pity about the interior. I'd imagine it was in pretty good shape given the lowish mileage.

1 hour ago, Monaco Blue said:

That's 3 one owner Manta's that have appeared this week! Looks good! What a pity about the interior. I'd imagine it was in pretty good shape given the lowish mileage.

It was minus some ware on drivers bolster. They have also cut a chunk out of the steering wheel 🙄

8 minutes ago, ®evo03 said:

Fair play, looks in decent shape, are you going to replace rusty arches?

Would be worth alot more than a standard restored manta, given its three owner, low mileage. Is that write graffiti spraypaint on bonnet? 

Im Concentrsting on the ftont first, stsrted some cut and welding on the drivers side A post to inner wing today. I'll move over to passenger side then work my way backwards and asses the arches at that point. Yep bonett was also graffiti on but I'm replacing that anyway as it's full of dents. You can probley guess how they got there 🤬 I also found a hole in bottom of the rear quarter when I removed the side skirt 😶

Managed to squeeze in a couple of hours tonight. Got floor cut out above drivers side jacking point. Cleaned out inside of jacking point, treated with built hamber hydrate 80, painted with zink rich primer and got a plate welded back over it and up into inner sill. Just put some zink rich primer over it tempory to prevent flash rust for now. Once I've got all the welding out the way I'll then go on a flatting session with the grinder and retreat and paint. 

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, ®evo03 said:

Thats a decent tidy trick, ecu even has waterproof cover intact! 

It even still have the foam backings behind the kick panels 😮 looks like I'm the first to ever strip it. I'm also going to drill a few holes and plug weld to tie in the plate to jacking point 👍 it always amuses me that they put a waterproof cover over ECU. They anticipated it getting wet 😂

Edited by ANDY ABBOTT
  • Haha 1

Bit more done today, rot cut out of A post, inner wing and under washer bottle, treated with hydrate 80, tabbed up some plates and welded in. Decided to flat the welds down. And I always just run a thin bead of seam sealer over the welds to make sure it's 100% water tight 👍

Edited by ANDY ABBOTT
  • Like 6

Only managed a couple of hours tonight as it was the missus birthday this weekend, and had some stuff to sort at home aswell. Cut out the floor above passenger side jacking point, cleaned it out, treated with hydrate 80 and zink rich primer, removed passenger side wing to assess A post and inner wing. Started cutting the rot out which escalated quickly as per 😳😀 cut out rot from inner sill, cut out rot from battery tray made a small repair panel for battery tray and got that welded in, top edge of inner wing will need some repairs too, where the wing bolts on to. That's as far as I got. I'll start the welding on this side hopefully tomorrow 😊👍

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

Little bit worse on this side mate, but it’s still pretty good eh 🥰

Yeah bit more work on this side. I opened up a section of inner sill too bid enough to get the Hoover in, suck out all the crud, shuv some hydrate 80 down and some primer in. As we know there's all ways 2/3 times more work than expected once the poker and grinds comes out. But compared to some of the others I've done it should be pretty straight forward 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

Yeah, it’s nearly worth pulling sills off everything just to check!

After all the threads I have been looking at, Black coupes are coming off completely when I get it back.🙈

To be fair I was surprised how clean the inside of the sills was, but this is a class roof car so no drain tubes from sunroof filling the sills up. I also gained access to the inner chassis rails while I'd cut a hole in the floor, was also surprisingly clean in there too. They also got hydrate 80 and primered 👍

Bit more done Last night, finished off passenger side A post and inner wing, cut out the rot, treated with hydrate 80, made up a few plates, got them welding in, flatted back the weld, painted in zink rich primer and a smear of seam sealer. Just got the battery tray and patch on floor and inner sill, then that's the front end done, I'll then move my way backwards 😀

Edited by ANDY ABBOTT
  • Like 6