MS2 build project (megasquirt) from extra efi

Jessopia74

I think this deserved its own project thread. Plenty of chat about Megasquirt in various threads, but nothing conclusive is ever posted, so thought it would be good to post it as it’s own project. The addition reason for this is I have not yet decided what power plant or which of my cars will actually run the system as yet. The more I have read, the more I am impressed by its capabilities.

My intention: I won’t be writing a dummies guide, but will take the thread through my journey front start to finish listing everything I purchased, what reference material I used, specifications and so on. I will at time link to other guides written by others if I found them of help on my journey.

Anyway, let me introduce you to my choice. I have opted to buy a ready built unit and arguably from one of the best suppliers. The chaps over at ExtraEFI are pretty helpful too. Let’s be honest, with a project like this, support is everything! 

My choice has been MS2 with extra code. As it will do everything I want it to do. Controlling fuel and ignition with a built in manifold pressure sensor.

PHIL @ ExtraEFI helped write the ‘extra code’ and the site is often referenced for the help sections. Before purchase we had exchanged a number of emails, with my plans of engine (Xe at the time) and ignition coil to use. A later VAG 2coil (oem part number 032905106B) is what Phil recommended as it has built in drivers putting less extra circuits into the MS2.

So this is what I have so far;

Megasquirt2 with extra code, for VR crank sensor and tacho output. Comes with short loom, Rs232 cable and disc of guides etc.  http://www.extraefi.co.uk

V-Top USB to serial adapter. Purchased from Amazon. My laptop with Win10 recognised it right away and auto configured. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01LVYR1AB/

I already had the following items, that would be required for bench running.

12v switching PSU , MULTIMETER, basic electricians tools.

A MUST READ TO START 

http://www.extraefi.co.uk/support/Confused.html

https://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/engines-transmission/383877-how-megasquirt-vauxhall-engine-ms2-v3.html helpful guide a user on MIG wrote, based on MS2 v3 👍

Next immediate steps:

install the Tuner Studio software on laptop. ( http://www.msextra.com/downloads/) or (http://tunerstudio.com/index.php/downloads)

Bench power up the MS2 and make connection.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Edited by Jessopia74
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Shug said:

I have a megasquirt from extraefi running the 2.2 in my A series. Running injection only as using the stamdard ignition module with cih dist.

Clearly idiotproof as I got it up and running myself 🤣

That is great to hear mate. I know we have people out there with it 👍Did you have rolling road tuned? If so it might be really useful to others if you can share your map file into the thread.

2 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

That is great to hear mate. I know we have people out there with it 👍Did you have rolling road tuned? If so it might be really useful to others if you can share your map file into the thread.

Not yet. I put in the engine data and generated a map in tunerstudio. Have a lambda sensor attached so ran auto tune then fiddled a little with it myself. Needs proper tuner to have a go as its great up to about 3.5-4k rpm then drops off. Not many about up here, much less ones with megasquirt experience. 

Just now, Shug said:

Not yet. I put in the engine data and generated a map in tunerstudio. Have a lambda sensor attached so ran auto tune then fiddled a little with it myself. Needs proper tuner to have a go as its great up to about 3.5-4k rpm then drops off. Not many about up here, much less ones with megasquirt experience. 

Did you use wideband?

1 hour ago, Shug said:

Yup. Think it was innovate lc2 with Bosch sensor. 

Thanks, every little bit of info helps keep the thread complete mate 👍

3 hours ago, 611 said:

Looking good and as you say good to have some info for others who are thinking of running it.

Got my Omex and will be writing that up on my blog in case anyone is interested in that system.

Andy

I am for sure, had I stumbled on that earlier I may have chosen it over the MS. Thanks fir the input mate

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Greetings from the Netherlands.

In the first half of 2019 I installed a Megasquirt clone in my Manta A 2.2E.

Did everything myself including the tuning.

https://opel-forum.nl/forums/topic/2-2e-cih-met-efi/

In the above link you can see some pictures, sorry for the Dutch but google translate is your friend.

Jan

Edited by Jan
type error
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Jan said:

Greetings from the Netherlands.

In the first half of 2019 I installed a Megasquirt clone in my Manta A 2.2E.

Did everything myself including the tuning.

https://opel-forum.nl/forums/topic/2-2e-cih-met-efi/

In the above link you can see some pictures, sorry for the Dutch but google translate is your friend.

Jan

Thanks for the link, as far as I can make out you have improved the fuel economy which is great, have you also noticed any improvement in performance?

I'd share mine, but its pretty much the autogenerated one which you'd get running the generator in tunerstudio. 

I'd be interested in seeing other 2.2 maps to see how they compare with a default one.

Just clocked the laptop. Had similar when I put megasquirt in. It died on me so couldn't get map until I get new laptop up to where I left the car. (Getting resprayed) 

The car that is, not the laptop....

Edited by Shug

On 04/12/2019 at 23:12, Trooker said:

Thanks for the link, as far as I can make out you have improved the fuel economy which is great, have you also noticed any improvement in performance?

I have a standard camshaft and standard injectors.  

The standard 2.2E cam is the mildest there is for Opel CIH. It gives low rev torque and doesn't like RPM's over 5000

So if you like increase in power on your 2.2E first put another camshaft before buying an expensive EFI.

Mu car is abit more powerfull with the EFI, probably because the Le2-jetronic airsensor is gone, this a big restriction.  

The intake manifold is also small for good airflow on a 2.2E .   

So the car is good for touring and nice driving.

• Like 2

On 05/12/2019 at 16:12, Shug said:

I'd share mine, but its pretty much the autogenerated one which you'd get running the generator in tunerstudio. 

I'd be interested in seeing other 2.2 maps to see how they compare with a default one.

Just clocked the laptop. Had similar when I put megasquirt in. It died on me so couldn't get map until I get new laptop up to where I left the car. (Getting resprayed) 

The car that is, not the laptop....

Yeah, thanks I was talking more in general rather than individuals. But it’s a good point, I do wonder how many users actually have a fully tuned map in their MS.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jan said:

I have a standard camshaft and standard injectors.  

The standard 2.2E cam is the mildest there is for Opel CIH. It gives low rev torque and doesn't like RPM's over 5000

So if you like increase in power on your 2.2E first put another camshaft before buying an expensive EFI.

Mu car is abit more powerfull with the EFI, probably because the Le2-jetronic airsensor is gone, this a big restriction.  

The intake manifold is also small for good airflow on a 2.2E .   

So the car is good for touring and nice driving.

I’d be apt to go for more torque too  

I have a standard GSi with the 2.0 CIH & Le2 jetronic which runs ok but would benefit from a rebuild. Having previously read through many posts on this site realise that the 2.0 head, inlet valves & manifold are even poorer than the 2.2 but I’ve been quite interested in what the effects of a modern EFI would be on a standard engine hence the questions  

The air sensor issue is an interesting insight thank you

I suspect it will release a decent amount of horses, but the main benefit will be the correct ignition and fuel through the whole rev range. So it’s likely to increase delivery more that top end BHP.

On std Redtop engines that swap over, it usually results in a 20/25BHP increase, so it could potentially be around 20BHP over the Ljettronic setup is not out of the guesstimate realms.

If you could throw some money at throttle bodies, it would out perform a twin Webber setup and we know what those can get Circa 140/150.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

Yes, sort of. 

I have it set up on my bench, and managed to get a correct TPS, and calibrated . Temp bracket fabricated, and ordered some Alu stock that is correct thickness to make a nice conversion plate for TPS.  Also a wideband Lambda and started playing with a timing wheel, slight wrong teeth for XE but it got pickup tested and me into startup map.  (check out my pillar drill test rig lol)

I snagged my Silver coupe  on some paintwork  bits I was not happy with at body shop so not had a base car to install, tbh they probably sick of it been there now as I was away with work etc. However, been collecting loads of other bits, sensors etc so I might be able to get on with the XE install and the injection conversion next week when I will have 4weeks off work 😁

So bench running was positive and think I am ready to go 🙈

Plan is to set it all up on std XE inlet manifold for now to get it running and then swap to ‘direct to head’ ITB’s after I gave it running. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jessopia74 said:

Yes, sort of. 

I have it set up on my bench, and managed to get a correct TPS, and calibrated . Temp bracket fabricated, and ordered some Alu stock that is correct thickness to make a nice conversion plate for TPS.  Also a wideband Lambda and started playing with a timing wheel, slight wrong teeth for XE but it got pickup tested and me into startup map.  (check out my pillar drill test rig lol)

I snagged my Silver coupe  on some paintwork  bits I was not happy with at body shop so not had a base car to install, tbh they probably sick of it been there now as I was away with work etc. However, been collecting loads of other bits, sensors etc so I might be able to get on with the XE install and the injection conversion next week when I will have 4weeks off work 😁

So bench running was positive and think I am ready to go 🙈

Plan is to set it all up on std XE inlet manifold for now to get it running and then swap to ‘direct to head’ ITB’s after I gave it running. 

You've got far more patience then me 🙂 It was enough work for me to swap over and wrap up the loom on mine for the Omex!

Be good to see it when you have it all up and running.

Andy

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 611 said:

You've got far more patience then me 🙂 It was enough work for me to swap over and wrap up the loom on mine for the Omex!

Be good to see it when you have it all up and running.

Andy

👍 going to use a modded XE loom as starting point for startup, but when swap over will build one from scratch, just need a huge white board to pin and lay out all the wires 🤯

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

👍 going to use a modded XE loom as starting point for startup, but when swap over will build one from scratch, just need a huge white board to pin and lay out all the wires 🤯

I know what you mean. I had a bare loom for my Omex and although they give you a diagram they are never totally helpful and im sure they like to leave it so there is a little bit of guess work needed 🙂

• Like 1