Manta Advert from the 1980s

PaulXLE

Hi, I'm Paul, apologies in advance if I'm posting in the wrong place, but there doesn't appear to be a suitable section. Back in 1984 I bought a beautiful white Manta GTE coupe brand new. (if of interest there's a bit of info on it here). It was a wonderful car, sadly after about 6 months of ownership I crashed it and it was never quite the same after being repaired. Anyway, I pretty much bought the car because of a particular advert I saw in the motoring press. For years I had this ad pinned up on the garage wall, but now it's gone, and surprisingly I cannot find it on t'internet. I wonder if anyone out there has this advert? It was a white GTE coupe in front of some trees, I think a dark forest. It was in portrait format, lots of trees, car at the bottom. No words that I recall. I'd just like to see the pictures again, the car pictured was identical to mine, and I have fond memories of it. TIA - Paul - info@drivearchive.co.uk

That's it! Oh great, thanks so much. So that looks like it wasn't an advert but in a brochure maybe. You've made my day, really. I fell in love with that picture to the extent that the dealer offered me a red hatchback (which I think cost more) for £500 less than what I paid for my white coupe, and I refused - it just had to be the car in that picture! Here's a snap of the car after I drove it home on day one, maybe 30 minutes old. 

spacer.png

6 months later it was pulled out of a ditch. My then partner had wanted to build a rockery in our garden, so on a holiday to Scotland she collected rocks and they were in the boot on the return trip to the midlands on a wet morning and I was late for work. 20 miles from home after a 400 mile journey - well, you can guess. I was heartbroken. The local dealer fixed it, but it wasn't that straight afterwards. I then went to live about 20 yards from the sea on Anglesey, result : Salt 1 Manta nil.

The only thing I always think about that picture, and my picture, is that the wheels look a poor fit in the wheel arches, it looks almost jacked up. It went beautifully, but I traded in a Mk1 XR2 to get it, and I have to admit that I missed the handling of the Fiesta, which was like a go-kart. I think the accident was partly caused by my inexperience of rear wheel drive, when the rear started to go, I couldn't catch it. I can still hear the thud... ugh.

Anyway, thank you SO much for finding that for me. Cheers. Paul

• Like 4

I guess I too may have that brochure somewhere in the loft. Maybe. Now I know it's a brochure and not just a magazine advert, I might stand a chance of finding it. Ah, no, if I had the picture up in my garage, I must have ripped it out mustn't I? Hmmm.

As for thoughts of buying another, well I did see the car below at a car show in Amlwch on Anglesey during the summer, and the thought did cross my mind!

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1