Axle pinion height setting tool

Manta hatch

• 4 weeks later...

Update time 

new crown and pinion fitted and working smooth and silent at over 130mph 🙂 

so I striped 3 axles a 3.44 ,3.67. And a 3.89 from danny sohns

all 3 axles had different control numbers on pinion and gear flank numbers .

to my surprise all 3 axles had 0.55 mm shims fitted under rear pinion bearing cups

i emailed Danny sohns they wouldn’t sell me the dimensions of tools (I offered 100 euros !) but he told me to use the shims the rekord pigs head came with and It would be fine 

I then found my genuine mk1 cavalier workshop manuals out and the pinion setting is done different to that in the manta book but the nominal figure in the genuine cavalier workshop manual is 0.55mm 

I will upload pages from workshop manual 

also have bearing part numbers in fag Timken and skf which I will upload later  

so for any one swapping crown and pinion etc use 0.55 my shims land check mesh with engineers blue I put money on its spot on 

I do have some figures to measure from diff case flange to pinion head also which can be used 

Ps shims can be had from tractor supplies Massey Ferguson gearbox shims are the right size and can be had in all sizes 56id 72od 

hope this helps others pictures to follow 

Impression carnt be seen the best in picture but was spot on centre of tooth nice and even 

tip have some one put a bit of pressure on diff while you turn pinion to get a better impression 

rebuilding these axles really ain’t as hard as it seems all tho I do rebuild hydro gearbox’s most days at work 

just remember to set diff carrier preload and pinion preload which I set then have made a solid spacer instead of the crappy crush tubes I set it then measured crush tube and machined up a solid spacer etc 

4D6E9738-26F3-4A6B-8041-25F93BA0EC23.jpeg

• Like 2

Ps I will be offering axle rebuild services once I finally get my projects out of the way also restoration services and my fathers has been at these things for 30 years having owned over 100 cavalier and manta his quality of work is outstanding he has a a workshop manual in his head 🙂 once we are set I will advertise properly and supply pictures of some of the mantas he has restored 

• Like 2