Opel Manta 6 cylinder

davuiris009

Hi, I start my theme for my Opel Manta project.

I begin to disassemble the car and the new engine to restore it. I bought Martin's body kit (it will arrive on Friday). The project is slow because I don't have time to do it, but I will report the progress.

The car is in good condition, I only find a little corrosion inside the car (driver's side, I upload a photo) but it is not important.

I want to put five screws (5x120), I read a lot of information and I have clear the update for the front wheels with the TJM hub kit, but for the rear axle I am a little confused, I read about the 4HA rear axle, the Volvo axle .. I don't know, maybe someone with more experience in that , maybe someone can help me to  understand the best way to do it.

Thanks

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

This is the part with corrossion, i cut it and i will solder new metal.

Edited by davuiris009
  • Like 5

A little help from Google translate....

Hi, I start my theme for my Opel Manta project.

I begin to disassemble the car and the new engine to restore it. I bought Martin's body kit (it will arrive on Friday). The project is slow because I don't have time to do it, but I will report the progress.

The car is in good condition, I only find a little corrosion inside the car (driver's side, I upload a photo) but it is not important.

I want to put fire screws (5x120), I read a lot of information and I have clear the update for the front wheels with the TJM hub kit, but for the rear axle I am a little confused, I read about the 4HA rear axle, the Volvo axle .. I don't know, maybe someone with more experience in that can help you understand the best way to do it.

To be continue...

Rear axle should be ok with the power from that engine. 
The weak link in the axle is the. Torque tube, and that can be upgraded with a special part from German dude.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OPEL-CIH-verstärkte-Deichselwelle-Hinterachse-Ascona-Manta-A-B-Kadett-C-GT-1000/283463128403?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

El eje trasero debería estar bien con la potencia de ese motor. 
El eslabón débil en el eje es el. Tubo de par, y eso se puede actualizar con una parte especial del tipo alemán.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OPEL-CIH-verstärkte-Deichselwelle-Hinterachse-Ascona-Manta-AB-Kadett-C-GT-1000/283463128403?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353. m1438.l2649

Thanks for your help, but my doubt is for 4x100 to 5x120 conversion but your link is interessant. Thanks

11 minutes ago, Danny D114BCW said:

Looks like a nice car. Nice to see the mirrors in the correct place. Are you planning on moving the engine back?

Hello Danny, i want to move the engine in the back, but i want to homologate the modification for street use, and in Spain they don't help with this projects, so i will study the best option to do it, because one condition to homologate is that you have to use original engine mounts of the car.

Edited by davuiris009
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, davuiris009 said:

Thanks for your help, but my doubt is for 4x100 to 5x120 conversion but your link is interessant. Thanks

Think a bit of confusion what that part is for. 
swapping rear axle to Volvo or 4Ha is a lot of work and requires chassis modifications for extra suspension link points. Maybe this will not pass in Spain?

anyway, you can 5stud a Nanta rear axle if you have the hubs 

added a few pictures ( stolen from google 😁)to help show what we are talking about.

Pic1 upgraded torque shaft is red arrow and runs through the tube to connect with diff .

Edited by Jessopia74
  • Like 1

Hello David, your Manta looks stil in good condition! About the rear axle rebuild to 5-stud this is what I'm going to do:

I'm going to use half-shafts of an Opel Commodore. The strange thing about the Commo shafts: They are thinner than the Manta shafts!  So I let someone make tubes on a lathe machine that fit on the Commo-shafts and outside diameter that fits on the Manta bearings. The Commo-shafts are longer than the Manta ones so I'm going to use a thikker plate to close the axle tube. Maybe this plate can be used to install brake discs/ calipers but in Belgium we are not allowed to upgrade our brake system.  If you want to keep the rear drums no problem cause Commodore used the same diameter of brake drums with 5-stud. 

This is an example of a reinforced torque shaft:

Succes, Herman

• Like 1

On 1/17/2020 at 9:29 PM, GTEPETE said:

have a look for the rear spacers to fit manta axle....easy to make up....

Thanks, i will take a look. 

Yesterday i received my Martin´s 400 KIT, i'm impatient and i wanted to see what it looks in the car.

• Like 4

IMG_3087.thumb.JPG.43faa09d1bd313a9fc643cfe7ce51a78.JPG

I really like your seat, maybe european spec, i am trying to recreate something similar with early b seat material.

Regarding fitting kit, i presume there is an inner edge on rear arch. These can be drilled, mark quarter panel holes. Bolt them, i have used approx 4 per edge, 12 per arch, to get a clean line, use clear parcel tape on quarter panel, bolt arch. Use filler to perfect edge, shape. Dry, remove arch. Parcel tape allows you to remove arch without sticking.

Final fit, use bodyshop tiger seal, thin smear on complete edge that meets car. Of course you need to cut arch to accept 15inch wheel! 

This is super strong, you can lift shell by arch, or remove arch with sledge hammer! 

Hope this helps and you fully understand! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/1/2020 at 18:51, ®evo03 said:

Realmente me gusta su asiento, tal vez especificaciones europeas, estoy tratando de recrear algo similar con el material del asiento b temprano.

Con respecto al kit de ajuste, supongo que hay un borde interior en el arco trasero. Estos se pueden perforar, marque los agujeros del cuarto de panel. Atorníllelos, he usado aproximadamente 4 por borde, 12 por arco, para obtener una línea limpia, use cinta adhesiva transparente en el cuarto de panel, arco de pernos. Use relleno para perfeccionar el borde y la forma. Secar, quitar el arco. La cinta de paquete le permite quitar el arco sin pegarse.

Ajuste final, use sello de tigre de taller, mancha delgada en el borde completo que se encuentra con el automóvil. ¡Por supuesto que necesita cortar el arco para aceptar una rueda de 15 pulgadas! 

¡Esto es súper fuerte, puedes levantar la concha por arco o quitar el arco con un martillo! 

Espero que esto ayude y entiendas completamente! 

Very thanks for information, when i start to adapt the kit i answer some doubts.

Some photos for the engine, i use glass projection to clean and i will paint in next days.

• Like 8

• 2 months later...

Hello, i do some things in quarentine. 

Engine off

The rear axle

I don't find corrosion, i clean very well with radial and wire brush

I have some questions:

What shock absorbers do you reccommend? And the springs i don't have any idea, i want to install the 400 kit, i hace to change the height? How much?

Thanks

Edited by davuiris009
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

Nice progress 👍

For shocks, I have always been a fan of Bilstein, so that us what I would fit.

Are you fitting 400 body kit?

Not yet, but I want the suspension new and for springs I have doubts because I don't know what height is good with the Kit 400