400r rally prepared by Tim Ashton

ANDY ABBOTT

Engine stripped, pulled the heads and sent them off to be tested, and rebuilt. Got the call to say they are good so that was a releif. Can start to build it back up now and use the full gasket kit I bought for it. I was going to details the engine, but in all honesty I can't be bothered. It's just a rally car that I'm going to drive hard. So I'll just paint the rocker covers and inlet  and put it all back together. 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

Interesting to see progress. Are you going to change carbs ?

Not at this stage mate. It runs and pulls well, bare minimum on this at the moment, got to many other project zapping up funds. As long as it's running and driving they can stay as is lol 

Engine 90% built back up. Just a few bits left to put back on but ran out of time tonight. Rockers still need painting and fitting. Whilst engine was out I repainted engine bay in stone chip. Not something I'd normally do or something I'm proud of 😂 but it had already been stone chipped and I just don't have the time or funds to start pulling the engine and box and strip/blasting the bay. So it was a quick sand and 're stone chip. Not pretty, but again it's being built to be driven so it will do. 

• Like 5

Engine all built back up after doing the heads, I had a little dilemma. Couldn't get the dam thing to start once it was all built back up. I was testing the live to coil, and I had 12v there but soon as I plugged wires back onto coil it's dropped to 7v, which really confused me for a couple of hours lol. It turned out as I was building it back up I noticed a grub screw missing from cover on the dizzy so I fitted one. Problem was it was too long and had caused a short inside the dizzy. Anyway figured it out in the end, and now runs sweet and much cooler too.  Looks are not something I'm after right now so don't pay too much attention to the colour scheme lol. I'm aiming to get this on the track at sywell this year. 

Edited by ANDY ABBOTT
  • Like 9

55 minutes ago, ANDY ABBOTT said:

As far as I'm aware mate 

You ever hear about grinding the SU needles to help under accelerating ? An old boy some years ago was telling me about it as the needles are compromised a little and go a bit lean . I will see if I can find anything on it on the old world of info.

2 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

You ever hear about grinding the SU needles to help under accelerating ? An old boy some years ago was telling me about it as the needles are compromised a little and go a bit lean . I will see if I can find anything on it on the old world of info.

No never heard about that to be honest, but this is a first for me on the 3.5 v8. I'm not massive v8 fan in all honesty but I've enjoyed working on this old lump it's been fun. I'd be intrigued to learn more about that if you can find any info . Cheers 

Needle grinding is to fettle afr a little on pick up just the same as you can lift the needle clip up and down on old motorbikes but also the shape of needle has a big effect on pulse pressure sucking the juice threw the jets ( I fettle carbs most days at work ) will soon have my rolling road in and working for some proper manta fettling 🙂  and Rover v8 good lumps just have to watch the cam don’t snap and smash the block well none error on these happened to friends fitted in a Capri smashed the block above push rod holes   My father has rover v8 in manta he brought last year that had been rear ended its close to completion now he’s repaired all damage then will tune it has 38dgas ford v6 carb fitted and running rich but runs ok when warm 

car coming along nicely there Andy you must have 4 sets of hands the speed you get them done 🙂 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Manta hatch said:

Needle grinding is to fettle afr a little on pick up just the same as you can lift the needle clip up and down on old motorbikes but also the shape of needle has a big effect on pulse pressure sucking the juice threw the jets ( I fettle carbs most days at work ) will soon have my rolling road in and working for some proper manta fettling 🙂  and Rover v8 good lumps just have to watch the cam don’t snap and smash the block well none error on these happened to friends fitted in a Capri smashed the block above push rod holes   My father has rover v8 in manta he brought last year that had been rear ended its close to completion now he’s repaired all damage then will tune it has 38dgas ford v6 carb fitted and running rich but runs ok when warm 

car coming along nicely there Andy you must have 4 sets of hands the speed you get them done 🙂 

Thanks for the info mate, and there's only me on the welding and mechanical side, but I employ a body man/painter "tom" who paints and preps all our trucks and trailers customer work for my business. He enjoys doing my cars inbetween as it's different for him. He's propper old School and a great chap. In all honesty if I don't blow this thing up I will be very very surprised 😀 I'm building this car to give it some real pain, I'm going to literally drive it's nackers off 🤣🤣

Edited by ANDY ABBOTT
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/02/2020 at 13:23, Jessopia74 said:

Yes definitely get some richer needles, it will run way to weak on standard ones at the top end. Also run more advance , by memory for track use I was at 36 degrees advance at 3500rpm. That’s a lot more than standard Range Rover that it’s probably out of. Was no pinking at that. 
I’m getting stuck in with mine again now, will have to meet up on track, would be good with 2 v8 Manta’s 👍

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jamie077366 said:

Yes definitely get some richer needles, it will run way to weak on standard ones at the top end. Also run more advance , by memory for track use I was at 36 degrees advance at 3500rpm. That’s a lot more than standard Range Rover that it’s probably out of. Was no pinking at that. 
I’m getting stuck in with mine again now, will have to meet up on track, would be good with 2 v8 Manta’s 👍

Thanks for the info mate, I wouldn't be surmised if it's already been done, considering the other work it's had, abmnd where it's been for preparation, but I'll have check. Track day meet up sounds good. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Pretty much all the welding done on this now, minus the small triangle section in the rear quarter window. Got both doors built back up after replacing them. All fuel pipes replaced, carbs stripped, cleaned and put back together. Tom's done some panel beating on the roof to get the dents out. And fired a first coat of filler primer on. Next he will guide coat the roof then re prime it. Once we are happy with the roof we will move on to the rest of the car, as the roof was the worst of it really. Again not going mad. It's only going to be a track car. 

Another day on this today. Tom is removing ancient body filler, we will beat the panels s straight as poss then re skim and re shape best as we can. The car has most definitely had an interesting life, and lots of bumps and bashes along the way. 🙂

Another day on this today. Tom is removing ancient body filler, we will beat the panels s straight as poss then re skim and re shape best as we can. The car has most definitely had an interesting life, and lots of bumps and bashes along the way. 🙂

• Like 3

All welding done and majority of body work done. It's in primer for the most part. Again only a quick job for some track fun, not going mental on this one, just makes it presentable 

Edited by ANDY ABBOTT
  • Like 5