Hello from the West Coast of Ireland

Just wanted to say a quick hello to all the members of this amazing forum and i'm delighted to find such a massive treasure trove of knowledge all in one place. I became the proud owner of a Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6L yesterday after a long exhaustive look. These cars are so rare over here compared to Mantas and i still can't believe i found one. They're such a pretty car and this one is not to bad for her years. The previous owner was an enthusiast and had her stored in a shed for a good few years so the rot never really set in. It has a few of the usual issues with seized front calipers and shes running a bit rough but the coil, leads and distributor just look done so that should be an easy fix (fingers crossed). 

I have spent the last two days here reading all the guides and following the build guides so not too many stupid questions from me :) 

I'll be going with the Audi discs and will try to find the fabled calipers in the local scrapyards if possible. 

I do have one question though if anyone would be so kind to tell me: is there a 'one solution fits all' for my distributor cap, points, coil, ht leads upgrade for the 1.6 and should i replace the actual distributor aswell?

A few pictures of the old girl

IMG_20200202_100956.jpg

IMG_20200202_101008.jpg

IMG_20200202_101017.jpg

IMG_20200202_101026.jpg

IMG_20200202_101038.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hi Micheal, welcome to this forum. Great looking Cav you'v got, looks like the previous owners did a nice job keeping the car tidy.

About the ignition: I am 56 so the old contact ignition was in the old days normal. Just make sure you'v got a spare set of contacts and a condensor in your glove-box. I can advise you to buy a aftermarket set to change your ignition to electronical. Just make sure you order the right parts: The distributor cap with clips is a Bosch one and the distributor cap with screws is a Delco-Remy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 1200bandit said:

Got your email address will sort photos, information in the week 

Cheers mate

1 hour ago, H-400 said:

Hi Micheal, welcome to this forum. Great looking Cav you'v got, looks like the previous owners did a nice job keeping the car tidy.

About the ignition: I am 56 so the old contact ignition was in the old days normal. Just make sure you'v got a spare set of contacts and a condensor in your glove-box. I can advise you to buy a aftermarket set to change your ignition to electronical. Just make sure you order the right parts: The distributor cap with clips is a Bosch one and the distributor cap with screws is a Delco-Remy.

Thanks for the advice bud. It's a screw in cap alright. I'll get it replaced for peace of mind. 

IMG_20200202_105850.jpg

IMG_20200202_105857.jpg

Welcome to the forums 👍

Only trouble you might get with aged Dizzy is wear of the lobes. Easy to check and if you have a swell meter, you can set points to be solid performer.

There used to be an optical kit that had a fan type blade that would fit over the square Dizzy and the points just changed for the pickup. Too like 5mins to do and was a great upgrade for worn shafts. I am sure my kit was by by Luminition but I am going back some 20years!

Alternative again is get hold of GTE distributor & amp and that is a direct drop in I think.

Edited by Jessopia74
  • Like 1

hi and welcome. 

yes the gte distributor and associated gubbins will fit and work. the advance curves are realy designed for a 2 litre with injection but with modern unleaded fuel the standard original settings are wrong now anyway so a bit of trial and error timing wise is always needed.

but it will work ,and run,and be reliable .

then again a properly set up points system will work too just not as reliable .

i suppose this depends  on you and also wether insurance allows any mods. 

• Like 1

Had a look for the photos,wife has wiped them off.But have some of sticky (look on projects)

The way l carried out the mods on the Audi discs ,Astra callipers 

Removed the hubs, remove the wheels studs.

Got the hubs tuned down to fit the discs, Which made the hubs fresh and clean where the discs mount, and was perfectly central 

Got a bolt which fitted which attaching the discs to the hub, remove the bolt head drilled out the centre of the bolt.Harden the bolt to use as a guide, ( May have the guide kicking about in the garage somewhere)place the discs onto the hub with the guide fitted on one of the hub bolt hole drill a small hole in the discs,

Then get the correct size drill bit and drill to the correct size 

Secured the discs to the hub with the one bolt , drilled the the three remaining holds 

The discs fitted perfect no run out on the discs at all. 
The Astra callipers where a straight fit , brained hose .The brake paddle was excellent 

Cannot load photos on the email thing

If need more information let me know , Hope this makes sense 

F21F974F-39EC-4D51-B14D-CA6FC1B49BBE.jpeg

EC9F4825-8F71-4E32-A40B-F1274780D6F4.jpeg

20033510-A86F-4A80-81F1-C4C9D426B4B4.jpeg

• Like 1

Welcome Michael,

Agree, a nice Cavalier.  The dizzy cap and leads do look rather tired.. Replace them, along with a good set of points and a new condemsor and all should be well.. I have an Intemotor cap on my Delco-Remy dizzy, and Bosch Points and Condensor.. Perfectly reliable, but keep a new spare set just in case.. If they are gapped correctly, the only reason for burning is a duff condensor.. Check the gap after a few hundred miles as the rubbing block on new points can bed in and close the gap slightly.  Properly set up points are totally reliable - and electronic dizziies are know to fail occassionally too: much more expensive and one doesn't usually carry a spare one!

Happy motoring!

• Like 1

Love the cav it is identical to mine even has the double strips down the sides which I thought were not original now looking at yours they could be original body looks very good the only difference is mine has 1600 on the boot lid and between my rear lights is yellow now instead of black and the 1600 is long gone for me 

11 hours ago, Manta hatch said:

Love the cav it is identical to mine even has the double strips down the sides which I thought were not original now looking at yours they could be original body looks very good the only difference is mine has 1600 on the boot lid and between my rear lights is yellow now instead of black and the 1600 is long gone for me 

If it’s any help, the first 78 srb auto I had in Mustard has them too.

On 05/02/2020 at 21:46, 1200bandit said:

Had a look for the photos,wife has wiped them off.But have some of sticky (look on projects)

The way l carried out the mods on the Audi discs ,Astra callipers 

Removed the hubs, remove the wheels studs.

Got the hubs tuned down to fit the discs, Which made the hubs fresh and clean where the discs mount, and was perfectly central 

Got a bolt which fitted which attaching the discs to the hub, remove the bolt head drilled out the centre of the bolt.Harden the bolt to use as a guide, ( May have the guide kicking about in the garage somewhere)place the discs onto the hub with the guide fitted on one of the hub bolt hole drill a small hole in the discs,

Then get the correct size drill bit and drill to the correct size 

Secured the discs to the hub with the one bolt , drilled the the three remaining holds 

The discs fitted perfect no run out on the discs at all. 
The Astra callipers where a straight fit , brained hose .The brake paddle was excellent 

Cannot load photos on the email thing

If need more information let me know , Hope this makes sense 

F21F974F-39EC-4D51-B14D-CA6FC1B49BBE.jpeg

EC9F4825-8F71-4E32-A40B-F1274780D6F4.jpeg

20033510-A86F-4A80-81F1-C4C9D426B4B4.jpeg

I can't thank you enough for this info. This place really is a gold mine of information. If only the parts were as easy to come by as the knowledge haha! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello from a fellow Irish (Manta) owner. Welcome to the forum!

Nice Cavalier...not many of those left in Ireland (though I do know of another in the same colour - a relation of mine has it squirrelled away in his garage)

You're right that this place is a mine of information and helpful posters - long may in continue that way! :)

Edited by Berlinetta
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello from leitrim, that cavalier reminds me of my uncles.  He had a beautiful 1600 too only it was blue.  Just brought back some lovely memories looking at it.  Oh that info on the brakes is invaluable too btw, thanks to that man my wanderly wagon might actually stop soon 👍👍👍👍

Cheers Dave 

• Like 1