Project 3 😮 400

Jessopia74

• 2 months later...

Ok, update is nothing and something really.

Car still at bodyshop. Been slow progress on the shell there due to them keep having to hut with COVID issues etc and then they have moved premises. So although they have moved the shell to new premises, don't exoect them to get on with finishing the paint on it until Feb. C19 has delayed me thus year as it's messed with my off time due to requirements of traveling back&forth between U.K. and Taiwan. So it's not all bad since I am not really ready for it anyway.

So really only small plans to change the car due to an opertunity a couple of weeks ago happened that I was lucky to bag.

Managed to do a deal for a Commodore rear axle with LSD and a Getrag 265 box (from Monza), so the 4HA currently fitted will be changed to the Commodore one, and now have a box that is strong enough whatever power option i choose to use.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

P.s nearly forgot, have a pair of front hubs and stub axles (with removable steering arms) for front axle too

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Jonathan Pounsett said:

Good - that’s what I hoped you would say.

Mine pulls up fine but I thought that may be the bigger brakes up front. I’m not sure about the front to rear balance though. 🤷‍♂️

No decided on front yet, have some Brembo 4pot off a 911 turbo that be something like the AP setup. Can either use a bias proportioning valve ot pedal box to get the correct balance 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A little more progress on the shell at owing shop. Stripped all running gear and painted underside.

still got the 400 original pickups to weld in for rear axle change, forgot to tell him 😬

Oh well only paint 🤣

• Like 6

2 hours ago, IanMc said:

It’s coming along very nicely Jess :thumbup

Slower than I had originally planned Ian, but progress is progress mate.

not like we have had anything to do with our cars last year anyway 😬

Just hoping COVID issues end before I get this one finished 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

Just hoping COVID issues end before I get this one finished 🤦🏻‍♂️

Nice work Jess, think Covid has got some influence on my work. The new pistons are waiting in Germany but think this travel is not essential😢

• Like 1

2 hours ago, H-400 said:

Nice work Jess, think Covid has got some influence on my work. The new pistons are waiting in Germany but think this travel is not essential😢

Indeed mate, I have not been able to pop down to see progress and it has caused the paint shop some disruption too that gas impacted getting my Silver coupe finished too. 
at least if I can get alll the paint mostly finished will be happy.

• 4 weeks later...

Gaining some traction with the 400r going to colour. I called down to bodyshop to drop some hinge pins off on Monday and they was prepping the doors, putting the lines back in as over the years of storage and moving about they had taken a fair few minor knocks. 
And received a few pics today, fairly pleased. I have told them not to 'finish' the paint with flatting and polishing as still loads of work to do and I think it will be best to to get thus done further down the line.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, stumpy said:

love the colour mate

I can't lie I wanted a similar blue back in the 90s but bottled it on my coupe in favour of the dark blue metallic the early Calibre came in. Choice came about with a discussion with my no2 son, who showed me a pic of a Porsche and said maybe this colour would look good, what a coincidence 😎

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jonathan Pounsett said:

I’m repainting mine in the original bronze metallic - my son is putting significant pressure on me to paint it yellow!!!!!

I have seen a couple of Mantas in Yellow and if I am honest, it is a colour that suits either a SRB or CC,  a lot 😎

First one I noticed was the one of the Flux site.

https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/blog/2019/09/opel-manta-gt-j-3-0-transformed-from-rust-bucket-to-dream-machine.html

• Like 2

Not sure what to do about the black accents on the body kit as per original 400. Thinking to have them done in vinyl, but my friend is saying smaller patches tend to peel off and discolour easier.🤔 My thoughts are that bumper stickers don't seem to come off, see loads that seem to have been on years, but yes they usually have been bleached a little.

Anyone got any experience or advice on this? Paint it vinyl ?

• 2 weeks later...