Jump to content

Project 3 😮 400


Recommended Posts

Just now, Trooker said:

Bummer that the block is cracked, why does it need to be an early one?

Nostalgia really, but the earlier blocks are thicker castings too. Otherwise I could use the 2.4 block I guess, but only want to build this engine once. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Started today. Good little engine I have ended up with. Original mains and big ends show hardly any wear and oil drained out of it was clean like new. No lip other than carbon on block cylinder wall,

Dropped onto its wheels and panels getting fitted. Starting to take shape now and looking forwards to getting back on to this. Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an

Been a while! C19 is slowing progress down in some ways, I am still out in Taiwan with work as the requirements for Quarantine here mean we have to do longer stints for work to make feasible, the of

Posted Images

Sorry to read about your cracked block. But looks like you found out the solution for the headbolts. About the 2.4: The older CIH blocks are a better quality of cast iron. But I bought in 1993 a brand new original naked 2.4 (with crankshaft, rods & pistons) and made the block complete with 2.0 CIH parts. Had to rebuild the engine last year cause my cilinders were 0,25mm oval. I bored & honed the engine to the next size cause it took me more than 28 years to wear it out, think I wont do that much km's the next years. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, H-400 said:

Sorry to read about your cracked block. But looks like you found out the solution for the headbolts. About the 2.4: The older CIH blocks are a better quality of cast iron. But I bought in 1993 a brand new original naked 2.4 (with crankshaft, rods & pistons) and made the block complete with 2.0 CIH parts. Had to rebuild the engine last year cause my cilinders were 0,25mm oval. I bored & honed the engine to the next size cause it took me more than 28 years to wear it out, think I wont do that much km's the next years. 

Thanks Herman. The bores in this 2.4 are excellent. We are going to pull the pistons tomorrow to check the full wear, but initial checks are positive. So plan B is an option, but would prefer to put the 2.4 into an early 1.9 block with a fresh std bore.

Also hope to visit the machine shop too, see how much of a crackpot they think I am when I explain the plan 😂

Edited by Jessopia74
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I knew I had read somewhere about the early 1.9s being thicker castings, or is it just the quality of the material?

Early ones also definitely did have forged rods, I have a set. There’s a couple of good pics on opelgt to show the differences.

Good luck at the machine shop!

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, moodoo said:

I knew I had read somewhere about the early 1.9s being thicker castings, or is it just the quality of the material?

Early ones also definitely did have forged rods, I have a set. There’s a couple of good pics on opelgt to show the differences.

Good luck at the machine shop!

Yes, pre 74 I think had forged internals, but obviously I am not after the rods etc, although I have a set now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good day today, sun shining and things going to plan.

Took head down this morning along with my iPad to see the Engineering shop, and they said yes, no problem 🎂 They specialise in cast Alu and SS welding pipwork and have a bit if a hobby sideline with stuff they are interested in. So they used to doing cast Alu welding that us none porous for industrial chem sites, so good enough for a car head ! They can Cut, build up welds and machine down in thier shop; best of-all they are within a few of miles of my house - happy days 🥳

So back to workshop and spent rest of today completely stripping the head bare. 
Also extracted the snapped studs in the 2.4 head, both came out easy as hot knife through butter. My luck is in today! Maybe I should have out some cash on lotto 🤑

Pics attached with a few markings. Pretty much nailed the procedure now and it's all starting to make a bit more sense too. Dropping head off tomorrow, first thing they will do is get it chopped to see what's what.

 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe you should give the CIH block with the head into the shop. 

Do those metal guiding pins fit in the 24V head?

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, H-400 said:

Maybe you should give the CIH block with the head into the shop. 

Do those metal guiding pins fit in the 24V head?

Not at the moment. The block does work anyway, as it needs a new bolt hole drilling for front left stud. I was thinking about the location pins, but they are different size depending what block I use. 
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Head gasket with correct bolt hole for the 16v head.
Fair play for BurtonPower, they sent it between to planks of woood wrapped in bloody thick card. No way this was getting bent in transit 💪😁 

You can see in pic1 the slotted 1st bolt hole.

Correct Part # (also in pics)

Cometic  C4512-051 (https://www.cometic.com/products/C4512-056)

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

One of , as I see it , the many positives of this route is the crossflow element which means no hassle with the brake servo. What plans have you got for the manifolds. I’m hoping to have a bash at fabricating some to try and keep costs down which is one of , as i see it , the many negatives of this route 😀

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Buz said:

One of , as I see it , the many positives of this route is the crossflow element which means no hassle with the brake servo. What plans have you got for the manifolds. I’m hoping to have a bash at fabricating some to try and keep costs down which is one of , as i see it , the many negatives of this route 😀

Not really thought to much about exhaust yet, but they use the injector holder a separate part, or go for some Twin DCOE manifolds that seem to be available and then use Jenvey throttle bodies. 
Exhaust wise, I suspect bespoke manifold woukd be cheaper than the €1200 for the ones I have seen available. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a look at the engine yesterday and hadn’t noticed the short injector manifolds/ housing. I guess it’s an option.  I wonder how the distance from the injection point to inlet would affect performance. I guess with injection it’s less fussy than carbs . Still plan to go throttle bodies though as this opens up possibilities.  Also hoping to make a jig from the 3 litre for drilling the chain guide. 

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.mantawelt.de/cih16v-projectone-08.htm
 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Buz said:

Had a look at the engine yesterday and hadn’t noticed the short injector manifolds/ housing. I guess it’s an option.  I wonder how the distance from the injection point to inlet would affect performance. I guess with injection it’s less fussy than carbs . Still plan to go throttle bodies though as this opens up possibilities.  Also hoping to make a jig from the 3 litre for drilling the chain guide. 

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.mantawelt.de/cih16v-projectone-08.htm
 

 

There was a drawing kicking about on the FB group. I asked if anyone had received it and coukd they share - nada 🤦🏻‍♂️
the injectors are positioned so they hit the back of the valves. Not sure if it's less efficient, however the A400 engine injectors are a little further back but still aim at same point from what I can see.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I happened upon something last week, was delivered back yesterday - managed to pop down to the garage to see it running extremely sweet. Sounds lovely, 70k auto engine grandad been pottering about in it, then was parked up. Obviously I only want certain bits off the engine 😬😂

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Edited by Jessopia74
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Trooker said:

Starting a new collection? 

Only for the 16v head conversion mate, although maybe park it in the corner of the yard and hope no one hassles me about it for a few years 😂

Edited by Jessopia74
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jessopia74 said:

Only for the 16v head conversion mate, although maybe park it in the corner of the yard and hope no one hassles me about it for a few years 😂

😂 

For some reason I thought you already had the head etc was wondering if you are going into production. 😆

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Trooker said:

😂

For some reason I thought you already had the head etc was wondering if you are going into production. 😆

No your right I do have the head, but I was missing a few other bits and happened on the who,e thing - stupid car attached 🤦🏻‍♂️

Although doing 2 at the same time is an option now 🤔🙈  was thinking more of a spare. You started something now mate......🤓

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife thanks you and has added you to the Christmas card list 😂

Same as you Jess , just the engine really, I want to do two heads at the same time. I think you ought to do the right thing by the car and repair it , it only looks a weekend job 🤔🤪

Could I be cheeky and ask a ball park figure on how much they charged for getting it back to you .  It was a long way south 😱

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Buz said:

My wife thanks you and has added you to the Christmas card list 😂

Same as you Jess , just the engine really, I want to do two heads at the same time. I think you ought to do the right thing by the car and repair it , it only looks a weekend job 🤔🤪

Might take a look when I have time off to get it up on the ramp, but probably better examples out there to save from the external bits I have seen

Link to post
Share on other sites

It looked rough. To be far if I had won the car I would have sorted you out with the guides and the cam sprockets as I know you were looking for them . Then I would have broke the car and sold parts on the senator group. I’m wondering about the pistons in the C30se as I’m sure they are 95mm, but no idea on heights and skirt lengths and even whether it’s worth reusing them even if they are in good condition. Probably best to go down the omega route. Have you seen there is a 1.9 block on eBay at the moment , if you are still looking for one ? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Buz said:

It looked rough. To be far if I had won the car I would have sorted you out with the guides and the cam sprockets as I know you were looking for them . Then I would have broke the car and sold parts on the senator group. I’m wondering about the pistons in the C30se as I’m sure they are 95mm, but no idea on heights and skirt lengths and even whether it’s worth reusing them even if they are in good condition. Probably best to go down the omega route. Have you seen there is a 1.9 block on eBay at the moment , if you are still looking for one ? 

Doh if only you had of said 🤔 Pistons are No good for a 2,4 crank, nothing really from bottom end of any use apart from sprocket. I just had a message about sone other bits, so might not need to break this at all. I know gearbox is fubar and it has no brakes either, but engine is sweet. Nothing will be decided anyway for a week or two due to work.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...