Manta A - RHD Conversion

Mark Roe

Hi Mark

Im not sure if anyone has every posted a thread on doing a conversion from left to right hand drive? I might be wrong and im sure someone will be able to let you know if there is one.

I would say the main things you will need for the conversion would be:

Dash, steering rack, maybe steering column, pedal box, maybe wiring loom, lights and a bit of working out re positioning of the brake servo, pedal box, clutch cable etc.. and i think that should be about it. i cant think what else you would need to do. should be a relativity easy conversion. The hard bit will be finding all the parts in good condition. 

Something i always wondered about doing if you could get a good left hand shell.

Be interesting to see if i have missed anything 🙂

Andy

Never really thought about loom, if it enters the bulk head on the left, it would be longer in the bay to reach everything, wonder does it run down the left side of car also to rear?

The skuttle panel, are LHD funky wipers? 

Headlights? Beams on glass? 

Pedal box? Clutch cable is shorter, so is speedo.

Seen one converted, but it was only panel work completed at the time. Hardest thing was finding a mint RHD bulk head to graft into a mink left hooker.

25 minutes ago, ®evo03 said:

Never really thought about loom, if it enters the bulk head on the left, it would be longer in the bay to reach everything, wonder does it run down the left side of car also to rear?

The skuttle panel, are LHD funky wipers? 

Headlights? Beams on glass? 

Pedal box? Clutch cable is shorter, so is speedo.

Seen one converted, but it was only panel work completed at the time. Hardest thing was finding a mint RHD bulk head to graft into a mink left hooker.

I wondered if the loom was shorter inside on the LHD as the dials would all be that side? and on the RHD its all a bit further over. The loom to the back runs down the left side with a connector in the boot so a RHD loom should fit the LHD. Not sure if the changed the wipers over? looks the same setup with motor etc..

I think the main things would be the pedal box and steering column mounts and then sorting the servo and clutch location. I dont think you would need to modify the bulk head? not seen them side buy side to compare.

Screen-Shot-2013-05-20-at-9.51.09-PM.png

2 minutes ago, Shug said:

Maybe Exhaust downpipe. LHD didn't need to get past steering column so is different than rhd ones. (I think)

How much easier life would have been if the head didn't have inlet and exhaust on the same side :)

2 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

Sorry its a A, then i know nothing, never had one, my bad!  Regarding rhe loom, yeh if everything is same length, its a mirror jobbie! Just switch it over.

An A bulk head! Sorry thinking about a B! 

Its ok, your forgiven for not ever having an A 🙂 mind you i have never had a B 🙂

Thinking back on when i had mine all stripped out for the engine bay respray (a good few years ago now) i think its mostly going to be setting up all the mounting points for the steering, brakes and clutch cable. not sure if they would have any reference points in the panel from the original stamping? if you look at the bulk head both sides are very similar.

spacer.png

54 minutes ago, ®evo03 said:

Yeh scuttle panel should be opposite wipers on LHD, also area fox pedal box would be reversed, ie on other side. Yellow one above has all you need! 

Wipers look the same setup and the motor is on the same side!

2020-02-12 (3).png

7 minutes ago, TaytoKing said:

I was thinking of converting my Manta A from lhd to rhd, but it's part of the cars history so I'll leave it alone for now.

Might be worth getting a few bits off the yellow one if its being cut up? I think the steering column mount, pedal box mount and the clutch cable mount are the bits you would want if you did think of doing it later.

Bulk head is marked up already. You need to swop peddle box over holes are marked for servo to bolt throughalso.  Cut off top steering bracket move that over column same. Steering rack obviously,dash obviously, wiring from fuse box required or make your wires longer to new location of dash and switches. Strip out all your dash fit rhd one for centralizing top steering mount.  I would if doing it buy the parts off Carl easier to have at hand.