400 rep turbo wreck

Mickfrad

I’m sure one weekend with a welder would see it ready for an MOT 😂😜

I hate seeing manta’s in that state, looks like only plastics and glass salvageable but I’m sure there will be more, rust has just ravaged this one. Two spoilers on the boot? Strange.

• Haha 1

Well im the fool thats buying it !!

I reckon i can save it with some hard work and the benefit of experience and stocks of parts

Its an iconic car for me, was magazine featured when i was a kid and was the start of my manta obsession

Deposit paid and collecting on tuesday

Positively beside myself excited at getting my hands on that car

How it was in the day

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 7

Cant beat a black manta, looks well, back in the day, would have bern the car to have, chrome window trims makes it, not sure on the additional rear spoiler, before its time! Car seems to have been a trend setter, and has to be the first 400r kitted manta, circa 1984 or before.

Even the quads wouldnt have been commercially available, or even fitted to a production manta, 

Everything about this car rocks, maybe not the back spoiler, dont even mind the red interior which is weird. Light pod looks so nice

Interesting to see just how bad it is! But...... welldone, congrats on the buy, good luck.........bring it back to it full glory

Those scoups on the doors to arches would have been a trend setter, nice touch. 

Edited by ®evo03
  • Like 1

The big wing on the back is the only thing i dont like and i may not be keeping it on, but it is part of the cars history so maybe it will stay.

But ill be going with different wheels while they are missing so it wont be a slavish original restoration

It is a custom car after all so ill be wanting to put my own mark on it

Im just really interested to see how far the rot goes exactly

Front chassis and floors likely fubar but it dont look too bad at all under the back end....

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MrCarlos said:

Well im the fool thats buying it !!

I reckon i can save it with some hard work and the benefit of experience and stocks of parts

Its an iconic car for me, was magazine featured when i was a kid and was the start of my manta obsession

Deposit paid and collecting on tuesday

Positively beside myself excited at getting my hands on that car

How it was in the day

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Good luck Carl, I really hope you can save this one. Be great to see it back as in the pic above. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, ANDY ABBOTT said:

Good luck Carl, I really hope you can save this one. Be great to see it back as in the pic above. 

Im painfully aware of the potentially ruinous build ahead of me

But that feeling of being a kid and drooling over one particular car...and then there it is for sale...and im me with facilities,  skills,  parts, contacts....and then the guy selling is a decent sort who understands classics and takes my offer...well i was powerless to resist

Just anxious now to get it collected and assess matters at hand !

• Like 7

Nice car, this is the first time I have seen it....a lot of work ahead......as its already been modified I would rebuild the front chassis rails in steel box sections, you'll need a jig to locate existing datum points, but would be cheaper than fitting nos chassis rails, .......unless you have a pair in the attic.... see my Viva below.....similar suspension to Manta, also removed inner wings....

ps thats an interesting Turbo set up, like to see more pics....also like the rusty holed rocker cover!!!

ArchivePictures1003.jpg

as anyone who works on cars 'properly 'will know?anything is fixable within reason (like being driven over by a tank,realy bad fire or accident etc) .we have all brought things back to life that many would not have attempted so good luck and you never know the rot may be only in the usual spots which you would expect albeit larger areas ?.

looks like you have the  benefit of no roof issues or anything major at the rear but you will no doubt find out soon enough. 

good luck and all the best to you

And i have it home at the unit 🙂

First impressions are that its do-able

Topside has quite a few bubbles in the paint and is going to need localised repair and it does have a factory roof dammit which is rusty down the back edge.

It must have realiy hurt when it hit the tree because the whole front subframe is twisted and moved

Basically everything forward of the bulkhead is bent, rusty or both

I have most of the parts to deal with that though 🙂

Floors are rotten and the usual swan neck stuff

Due to the hole in the rocker cover i dread to think what the engine is like internally so that will need a full stripdown

Turbo setup is janspeed and seems really well engineered 🙂🙂

Massive roto master turbo

Im also told by a friend of the original builder that the engine is ported / polished / cam and bvh

And that there is an lsd fitted whoo hoo

If thats correct im a super happy man

Interior is in good condition apart from the nearside door card because that window has been broken a long long time

Immediate plan is make it roll, make it weather tight and get a log book applied for. Then collect some parts up while i finish off other projects.  Then strip it down and crack on.

Im very pleased overall

The car is cooler than penguin piss 🙂

• Like 8

Great find and even better to get a "childhood dream" car in the flesh as your own property. It is so unique and off the beaten track of similar body kitted Manta's, and that turbo system looks very interesting. 😎

Just curious on the venting "NACA" ducts etc. is it plumbed to actually cool the braking or show pieces, and what is your long-term choice going to be for them (show or practical)?

Great to see another car saved from the scrapyard and being brought back to life and the roads of the UK.

• Like 1

Looks better out of its natural previous, decaying surrounding and on a trailer. Yeh fair play on owning a piece of manta history, very rare to own a time piece, with period modifications. 

Good luck with the restoration, watching with interest.

Currently restoring a 81 manta b, wasnt too bad! But bad in its own unique ways, ie one chassis leg didnt exist, rear spring chassis seats where gone, very little remained, then the usual manta areas! 

Worst thing ever was the bottom suspension arms crumbling like weetabix, surprisingly up to 50% of the underneath still had original body colour paint, which was good, you may be surprised, unfortunately both ways! 

• Like 1

Spent all day today cleaning 35 years worth of crap and debris off and out of the car

Looks much better for a wash !

It now rolls and steers 🙂

Logbook applied for

Some tricky bits to repair topside but doable

Osr quarter around the fuel cap is particularly rough

Nearside floor , chassis, sill, both a posts and entire boot floor/ spare wheel well totally solid

Drivers side inner / outer sill wants looking at plus the front end stuff

Overall im really pleased with it, so much better than it could have been

Sadly just a standard diff though

Shopping list for parts made, get on with it once other stuff is boxed off

• Like 3

5 hours ago, robah said:

Great find and even better to get a "childhood dream" car in the flesh as your own property. It is so unique and off the beaten track of similar body kitted Manta's, and that turbo system looks very interesting. 😎

Just curious on the venting "NACA" ducts etc. is it plumbed to actually cool the braking or show pieces, and what is your long-term choice going to be for them (show or practical)?

Great to see another car saved from the scrapyard and being brought back to life and the roads of the UK.

The naca ducts are fully functional feeding the turbo air intake !!

Lovely job in its day

• Like 2

It's gonna be a though job to restore this car, wish you succes! I remember the first time I saw a "400", begin eighties. Wanted that car so much.

So I understand you bought this one, make your dream alive.

• Like 3

So todays big news is i was contacted by the original owner / builder of the car today

As you can imagine i had 1000 questions !

We had a long enthusiastic chat about the car, including him telling me all about the cars genesis,  build and untimely demise after only 4 years / 26000 miles on the road 

He told me he has all the original paperwork, keys,  stereo  system which hes happy to pass onto me while im restoring the car

But most importantly he has the original compomotive split rim wheels which he wants to gift to me so long as i pay the pallet carriage cost- well yes go on then !!

The project just gets better 🙂

13 hours ago, Manta hatch said:

Carlos my father has a black coupe for cutting up it has a good roof and the area around fill cap is good if any thing of any use let me no and il speak to my father cheers young John 

Hiya john - im ok for the quarter panel but the roof could be really handy, will pm you now 🙂

• Like 8