E45 SFK i240 restoration after all these years

3 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

Has facebook a history, an archive that you can look back on, or does it disappear? 

Threads on here are a great reference, as was the magazine, some really good documents have been lost here too, yeh it takes time, effort and sometimes no reply, but you gotta ask yourself why are you doing it, for yourself, instant likes, or a documented history, you can be sure you are addressing kindred spirits on here. 

I don’t know if Facebook has an archive. You can scroll back through the timeline but if you look for something 12 months old you’ll be scrolling for a long time. It’s a pain in the arse. 

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finally after all these years almost 20 years sat on a drive way. it will now live on. One of my all time favourite cars that I've chased for years is finally coming home with me. I'm made up.  Pr

Lots of stuff has gone on the car since my last update. Doesn't seem much point in doing a detailed write up on here anymore as the site is dead and only the odd couple of people seem to follow the bu

E45 SFK in primer. Bit of fine fettleing to do then reflat, reprime then get it ready for top coat 🙂 Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member. Project im

Posted Images

8 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

Has facebook a history, an archive that you can look back on, or does it disappear? 

Threads on here are a great reference, as was the magazine, some really good documents have been lost here too, yeh it takes time, effort and sometimes no reply, but you gotta ask yourself why are you doing it, for yourself, instant likes, or a documented history, you can be sure you are addressing kindred spirits on here. 

I was doing it for my own reference as well as helping out others with tech info and fabrication stuff. However I have all the projects saved on my own devices now so not as much for myself. Just seems a pointless task as no one seems to bother om here anymore and don't get any interest in the build so doesn't seem like anyone is benefitting from it and feels a waste of time. There is search bars on Facebook pages including my page where info can be found. Im not doing it for likes but seems there's no one here anymore so why bother was my opinion. 

6 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

Forums probably have a lot more lurkers than you think Andy, just going off the random messages I get from ppl that seem to be never active here

Never get any of that mate I just post my stuff and see no interest so assumed everyone bar a few had left the site 

Noticed that with alot of forums, or if your searching for something, you can see it died off by the post dates, weirdly there is another car forum, non opel, in OZ, its going really well, helpful blokes, really into their cars, which honestly is weird for a forum that its still alive, there is a uk based bike forum, which has been flushed, talk about tumble weed, thing is, you will get an answer if your stuck with something, better than asking some randomer! As with all forums, we are all here for a reason....whatever it might be. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

Noticed that with alot of forums, or if your searching for something, you can see it died off by the post dates, weirdly there is another car forum, non opel, in OZ, its going really well, helpful blokes, really into their cars, which honestly is weird for a forum that its still alive, there is a uk based bike forum, which has been flushed, talk about tumble weed, thing is, you will get an answer if your stuck with something, better than asking some randomer! As with all forums, we are all here for a reason....whatever it might be. 

There’s one like that in the UK, it’s called Autoshite and it’s very busy! There’s loads of forum users and there’s always loads of folk on at any given moment. 99% of folk on there are genuine decent people too, unlike places like retrorides etc. 

Ive read through this thread for the first time, start to finish, first time seeing pics, what an effort, unreal, bar has been raised,  bigtime, dedication, speed, skill, not to say the effort that has gone into creating the thread, top thread, brilliant car, what a story! 

The club should really get more involved and involve members, eg, an award for best thread, best reunited car, best photography, most helpful member, that kinda thing, it cost nothing, just a bit of thinking! Something facebook couldnt offer. 

The effort and dedication Andy has put into his build threads has basically made some of us look like lazy good for nothing.........

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, ®evo03 said:

The club should really get more involved and involve members, eg, an award for best thread, best reunited car, best photography, most helpful member, that kinda thing, it cost nothing, just a bit of thinking! Something facebook couldnt offer. 

Well volunteered that man! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

They certainly do! Very smart indeed! 

As a matter of interest, what wheels did the i200/i240 have fitted when new? Ronals as per the GTE? 

Another vote here for keeping posting the updates. Facebook has it's place but build threads aren't one of them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This car is truly stunning!

The dedication to everything just right is very motivating for us lesser mortals. I tip my hat to you Andy - fantastic work!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Monaco Blue said:

They certainly do! Very smart indeed! 

As a matter of interest, what wheels did the i200/i240 have fitted when new? Ronals as per the GTE? 

Another vote here for keeping posting the updates. Facebook has it's place but build threads aren't one of them.

Yes the standard Ronals is what they came with 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

Brilliant job on the wheels. Any issues getting them to seal ?

I've not had tyres fitted yet mate. Sealed them up today so waiting for it to fully set now 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, ANDY ABBOTT said:

I've not had tyres fitted yet mate. Sealed them up today so waiting for it to fully set now 

Do they have gaskets or just sealant? Will be using bbs tubs on sone spinners so let me know how it goes please mate

2 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

Do they have gaskets or just sealant? Will be using bbs tubs on sone spinners so let me know how it goes please mate

Just sealent 

• Thanks 1
26 minutes ago, 1200bandit said:

Just don’t hit any potholes.Have had a wheel rim split after hitting a pothole.( it was a Renault rim)

That’s because it’s a Renault lol 

• Haha 4

Great job on the BBS, i240 could be ordered 5 stud too, i think! From memory, seen one before on monza type ronals, a bit too narrow maybe, the bbs really suit the period of car, nice job! 

Rear axle was still standard. But then we go to the Manta i300:

In those years Irmscher needed a lot of engines for their bussines so they bought some original Manta-400's. They had those cars without engine/gearbox in their firm and decided to fit the 6 in line in those rolling shells. And the Manta i300 was born. They builded 27 of those cars so this i300 has got the 4 link rear axle and disc brakes cause it was original a "400"...

• Like 4

Tyres fitted and wheels fitted back on the car 😎 waiting for the stickers to come then I can give it a few coats of wax. Few issues still to work through. Battery light not going out, reverse lights not working and a few other bits but I'm on the home straight with it 🙌 camera is knackered on my phone so keeps making the car look pink. 

All oils replaced again. Used a cheap one as flush. 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 6