E45 SFK i240 restoration after all these years

ANDY ABBOTT

The first generation 2.4s (Irmscher) were based on 2.0 blocks...assume at the time (1988) Manta 400 blocks were rare and expensive.. both 2.4 and 2.0 had 95mm bores but different crankshafts...as discussed, the 2.4 Frontera engine did not come out until 91/92... 

• Like 2

The i240 was presented to the press in spring '84, I'v got a catalogue of Irmscher with the pricelist of the engine and parts. Remember it was 360.000 Belgian franks, the same as 9000€ but that was in the late '80's. 

• Like 1

Lots more done today. All glass out so it dont get ruined with welding spatter. Passenger swan neck and chassis rail removed, rotten section of inner removed, new section fabricated and fitted, lots of built hamber hydrate 80 used, then zink rich primer then satin black over that. Rotten section of floor removed, jacking point removed, sill removed, wheel arches stripped of the under seal, so I can see what's under it. Big welding session tomorrow 🙂 even found an old 10mm snapon socket in the sill, bonus. 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Edited by ANDY ABBOTT
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I remember checking the underside of the front  foot wheels, A panels  door posts when my car was about 3 years old. I found surface rust under thin flaking underseal. More worringly the panels were bare metal where they had been welding. Remember being pissed off as this was my first nearly new car (bought in 1990)! All the dealer could offer was that I had a 5 year body penetration warranty which was useless. So spent a week or so cleaning all the bare areas and repaint in smoothrite primer/paint. Still looks good today.....maybe the last Mantas were not so well treated in the factory as they were end of line models...????

9 hours ago, GTEPETE said:

I remember checking the underside of the front  foot wheels, A panels  door posts when my car was about 3 years old. I found surface rust under thin flaking underseal. More worringly the panels were bare metal where they had been welding. Remember being pissed off as this was my first nearly new car (bought in 1990)! All the dealer could offer was that I had a 5 year body penetration warranty which was useless. So spent a week or so cleaning all the bare areas and repaint in smoothrite primer/paint. Still looks good today.....maybe the last Mantas were not so well treated in the factory as they were end of line models...????

That's crazy that they rusted when still almost new. I remember my brother telling me, he was welding one up when it was only around 6 years old. I know the early cars was made of better and slightly thicker steel. 

Edited by ANDY ABBOTT

1 hour ago, ANDY ABBOTT said:

That's crazy that they rusted when still almost new. I remember my brother telling me, he was welding one up when it was only around 6 years old. I know the early cars was made of better and slightly thicker steel. 

I had the front grill panel on my 87 GTE replaced free gratis just before the 5 year perforation warranty expired. It had almost rusted through above the lights on both sides. It may have helped that I was on very good terms with my local Vauxhall dealer. Interestingly, I later noticed that they had also resprayed along the top of the door sills local to the door seals as that had started to rust as well. Was well pleased. 

As an aside, never seen it mentioned before, but my GTE had clear vinyl strips on top of the rear wings to stop the standard rear spoiler end pieces marking the paint when closing the boot lid. By the time it was scrapped in 1999 they had worn through which shows they did the trick. 

• Like 1