E45 SFK i240 restoration after all these years

ANDY ABBOTT

42 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

You fab that with an English Wheel Andy?

No hole saw, ballpein hammer and coupe of old sockets in the vice lol 

2 hours ago, TheRealExile said:

Very nice work 👍

Thanks mate 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

Really romping home with this one Andy, very quick going but with excellent quality of repair. 🍻
With the kit did they modify the standard arches underneath ?

The kit just bolts straight on with no modifications to front or rear arches 

• Thanks 1

I'v got a lot of respect for the work, but most respect for your motivation! Since I am a month retired looks my motivation is also... Scanned some pages of an original Irmscher catalogue that a dealer gave me in Germany in the eighties. Remember it as it was yesterday, they were always happy to see us, we in the military could buy new cars without taxes:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

It is in German but you can see the kit of Dave is the "Manta Road" kit, enjoy the pics. 

Have a nice weekend! 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, H-400 said:

I'v got a lot of respect for the work, but most respect for your motivation! Since I am a month retired looks my motivation is also... Scanned some pages of an original Irmscher catalogue that a dealer gave me in Germany in the eighties. Remember it as it was yesterday, they were always happy to see us, we in the military could buy new cars without taxes:

It is in German but you can see the kit of Dave is the "Manta Road" kit, enjoy the pics. 

Have a nice weekend! 

Great info herman, and thanks for sharing. I must admit, my motivation has taken a hit the past couple of weeks. I've just had to give my head a wobble and make myself push on with it. I really dont think all this doom and gloom with the virus thing has helped mentally. And my business has taken a hit because of it also. But we will get through it, and come out the other side swinging 🙂

So today's job was to get the sill fitted. So sill placed on and self tappers used to hold it in place while we offered up the door and wing and the i240 sill cover/side skirt. I had also taken some measurements from the old sill to door aperture, but offered up the panels to make sure it was 100% correct. It all lined up well and clearance for the sill cover was spot on with no fouling. I marked up around the sill with the scribe and then removed the replacement sill which is a genuine Vauxhall nos part,I also notched the sill into the A post cover. I then trimmed up around the sill and cleaned up ready to weld in place. Inside of sill was keyed with scotch brite oad then treated in zink rich primer. Holes punched in to spot the sill on as my spot welder has gone missing 🙄 all welded in and dressed back. Worked out well, just still s little fettleing to do, but happy with the result. 

• Like 7

21 hours ago, chrisb said:

cant wait to see this finished, this is probably my most favourite Manta of all in the club. Always loved it when Sean and Mark owned it, so glad you managed to save it.

Thanks mate, I feel the same way about it too 🙂

So with the passenger side A post, floor, chassis, inner and outer sills done, it's time to jump back over the the drivers side. Got A post cover on drivers side after a little reshaping and re slotting of the door hinge holes. Removed old sill and started the repairs to inner sill. Having to jump on and off this inbetween paid truck work, so it's a bit of a juggling act at the moment. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, ANDY ABBOTT said:

Thanks mate, I feel the same way about it too 🙂

So with the passenger side A post, floor, chassis, inner and outer sills done, it's time to jump back over the the drivers side. Got A post cover on drivers side after a little reshaping and re slotting of the door hinge holes. Removed old sill and started the repairs to inner sill. Having to jump on and off this inbetween paid truck work, so it's a bit of a juggling act at the moment. 

The repairs look superb, you definately cought it just in time to save.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Got the inner sill repairs finished today, and also repaired the inner section of the lower rear quarter  which was pretty bad. Progress is a little slow today, as I wasnt really in the mood, but had a quiet couple of hours while awaiting parts for a truck to arrive, do thought I'd do a little on it. No more pics too add but I'll update again tomorrow. 

Got the A post sorted and a little filler piece welded in to bridge the gap between A post and sill. Inner sill repairs finished and inner sill top flange repaired. All inner sill treated with built hamber hydrate 80, zink rich primer and satin black.  Outer sill fitted and welded in place. Welds dressed back, but want a final fettleing. Got drivers side swan neck cover removed, and chassis rail removed. The drivers side inner is completely solid so that's a bonus. Inner and floor above chassis rail treated with built hamber. That's it for today, but it's all ready to get the chassis in tomorrow, then its onto the drivers side floor repairs. After that I'll work my way into the rear arches and rear quarter repairs. Slowly getting there. 

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

That has needed so much work, and you are blasting through this mate. Hope you still love her at the end 👍

I'm sure I will mate, I've done worse lol. Gutted VBOA is cancelled but I should have a few cars to take next year lol. 

• Like 1