E45 SFK i240 restoration after all these years

ANDY ABBOTT

Today's dose of manta work. I got the lower rear quarter cut to suit the repair section I had. Repaired the inner boot strengthener, and added a return flange to plug into the boot floor section I was replacing. Rear arch repair panel cut to the required size. Rear arch cut out to suit arch repair. Rear arch welded in. I opted to go single skin and cut the rotten lip off the inner arch, and weld the inner around the new arch repair panel, to prevent future rust setting in inbetween the 2 skins. All welds dressed back and as per everything I could get at once I'd cut out the rot was treated with built hamber hydrate 80, and zink primer. 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Edited by ANDY ABBOTT
  • Like 7

29 minutes ago, bris jas said:

Andy thats looking great, clean fabrication work there. Nice pic's of the arch repair stage by stage. Sure the panel kept pretty straight!

Thanks mate. Yes the panel didn't wrap, I was stiching it little by little, whist keep stopping and plenishing the welds, to stretch it a little before they cooled and shank which is what causes the warpage. It's not perfect however as there is obvious dips in the welds from the grinding stages. I'm not perfect 😉 lol

• Like 1

Today I finished off the passenger side rear quarter repairs, just needs a last bit of fettleing and a drain hole drilling. Then moved over to the drivers rear arch and lower rear quarter and got the rot cut out, ready for some repair section to be fitted on the next session. I like to get the zink primer on while the panel is still hot from welding and grinding so that it get baked on. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

Cracking job on roof, going for a different sunroof type ?.  
Looks like that arch was really just the lip gone?

Coming along nicely mate 👍

Yeah arch wasnt to bad, just didn't want to go to far into the quarter to prevent warpage. I'm putting a new sunroof skin on, just removed the tray to make it easier to remove the skin. Didn't want the added weight and be fighting againt the tray when removing the skin. 

• Like 1

Roof is a tedious job I cut the sunroof out then I cut about 3mm up from the roof side lips and removed all spot welds in front and rear window frames and slowly ground the lips away down the sides till I was back at the internal skin but I did have my father cast his eye other the job and he’s done a few first one he did was for Charlie from leek many moons ago I believe it just takes time cracking job so far 👍

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Manta hatch said:

Roof is a tedious job I cut the sunroof out then I cut about 3mm up from the roof side lips and removed all spot welds in front and rear window frames and slowly ground the lips away down the sides till I was back at the internal skin but I did have my father cast his eye other the job and he’s done a few first one he did was for Charlie from leek many moons ago I believe it just takes time cracking job so far 👍

Yes it's going to be a fair bit of work, but my brother has done these before so I'll call him in to help 🙂

• 3 months later...

Today I got on with the roof repair, and managed to remove the skin from the car, using my brothers techniques as seen on hes cossie build. Tomorrow should see the replacement skin unpicked from the replacement roof and get it all prepped and ready to fit the replacment to the car. 🙂

• Like 9

Thanks jess, I was beginning to think everyone had left lol. These projects threads are dead at the min, seems everyone's lost interest. 

Another day on E45 SFK roof repairs. Replacment skin removed from old frame, frame on the car cleaned, treated and painted before the roof goes on. A&C Posts trimmed back to reveal the joggled edge for the replacement skin to sit flush onto. Sunroof tray pulled back and all foam crap removed to prevent future moisture trap. Skin placed on car and ready for welding up tomorrow.  🙂

• Like 5

Top work,  can't get time to work on mine at the minute 😥 lots of homeworking due to Covid and I'm in telecoms so we are more busy than usual as everyone needs more bandwidth etc . Now the weekend is here I have my 93 year old Grandads hedges and garden to sort and then my own before it becomes unmowable- tip run to clear the spare room and all the crap people are dumping in the garage ! desk to build for the youngest now he has moved to big school.

I'll be retired at this rate before I get near it!! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheRealExile said:

Top work,  can't get time to work on mine at the minute 😥 lots of homeworking due to Covid and I'm in telecoms so we are more busy than usual as everyone needs more bandwidth etc . Now the weekend is here I have my 93 year old Grandads hedges and garden to sort and then my own before it becomes unmowable- tip run to clear the spare room and all the crap people are dumping in the garage ! desk to build for the youngest now he has moved to big school.

I'll be retired at this rate before I get near it!! 

I feel your pain mate 

6 hours ago, ANDY ABBOTT said:

was beginning to think everyone had left lol. These projects threads are dead at the min, seems everyone's lost interest. 

More likely over on Facebook. Has its place but you could never have a coherent build thread on it. 

Great work and skills above re the roof replacement. The question is, where did you find a rust free roof with a sunroof? No mean feat these days! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Monaco Blue said:

More likely over on Facebook. Has its place but you could never have a coherent build thread on it. 

Great work and skills above re the roof replacement. The question is, where did you find a rust free roof with a sunroof? No mean feat these days! 

The roof was from a friend/fellow manta owner/restorer. Was very happy to find it, as you say they are hens teeth to get hold of. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ANDY ABBOTT said:

Thanks jess, I was beginning to think everyone had left lol. These projects threads are dead at the min, seems everyone's lost interest. 

Still plenty of us here Andy (nearly 4000 views so far) The project threads are a great read and a great inspiration to many of us to keep going. 
Keep up the great work looks like another amazing build and another manta saved. 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, H-400 said:

Nice work 👍, you must  have big plans when I see that mudwing in the back of the car 😁

Not going on the car herman dont worry. 🤣

1 hour ago, Mickfrad said:

Still plenty of us here Andy (nearly 4000 views so far) The project threads are a great read and a great inspiration to many of us to keep going. 
Keep up the great work looks like another amazing build and another manta saved. 👍

Thanks mate. Yep going really well this one, not much welding left to do now its nearing the end of the welding stage 

• Like 1