E45 SFK i240 restoration after all these years

ANDY ABBOTT

My first ever attempt at brazing. Its bloody harder than it look 😂 it's not perfect, but not bad for a first attempt. Think it go over it all again to make sure its nice and solid and neat. Trying to keep that factory look on this one. 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

That feeling when you get to the last patch of welding 🙌 hopfully get this little section addressed tomorrow then it's in the question for going into our body shop for tom to work hes magic with the bodywork and paint. Cant wait to see this one back up and running 

• Like 4

Hi Andy, what a cracking job you´ve been doing to this car , congratulations!

If any Manta deserves a new opportunity this particular vehicle even more due to her specs! Absolutely brilliant.

I´ve got a question about the rear arches. As this has the original irmscher i240 body are the rear arches on the body exactly same as any other manta with the plastic extensions on top just bolted on, or are them trimmed down in the same way as the 400 Kit. Because on the pictures them look normal to me.

Basic question is, can this kit be fitted without trimming the rear wheel arches down?

Cheers

Luis

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Luisetegsi said:

Hi Andy, what a cracking job you´ve been doing to this car , congratulations!

If any Manta deserves a new opportunity this particular vehicle even more due to her specs! Absolutely brilliant.

I´ve got a question about the rear arches. As this has the original irmscher i240 body are the rear arches on the body exactly same as any other manta with the plastic extensions on top just bolted on, or are them trimmed down in the same way as the 400 Kit. Because on the pictures them look normal to me.

Basic question is, can this kit be fitted without trimming the rear wheel arches down?

Cheers

Luis

Thanks Luis. Yes this is a special manta for sure one of a kind, and one of my dream cars. I was over the moon to be given the opportunity to own and restore it, a dream come true for me. On the i240 the arches are standard and not tubbed like the 400s was. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ANDY ABBOTT said:

Thanks Luis. Yes this is a special manta for sure one of a kind, and one of my dream cars. I was over the moon to be given the opportunity to own and restore it, a dream come true for me. On the i240 the arches are standard and not tubbed like the 400s was. 

Great to see this one coming along. Happy you got it mate! As already said it had suffered sat on a driveway. Saving it now  is a great save and I exoect this will be a keeper for you,  so I can't wait to see it finished. Be mighty impressive based on the blue coupe results 🍻
keeps me inspired to press on with mine when I am stalled  waiting on others 🤦🏻‍♂️

8 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

Great to see this one coming along. Happy you got it mate! As already said it had suffered sat on a driveway. Saving it now  is a great save and I exoect this will be a keeper for you,  so I can't wait to see it finished. Be mighty impressive based on the blue coupe results 🍻
keeps me inspired to press on with mine when I am stalled  waiting on others 🤦🏻‍♂️

Thanks mate. In yes, this is defo a keeper 

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

Looks good, never noticed how many casting marks are on a block before.

Are you re-ringing it and giving those bores a hone out?

No mate, theres nothing wrong with it. Had it all up and running, and driving before we stripped it. It's a low milage car, it's a peter maiden built motor so want to keep it all as original as poss parts included. And would just be a pointless expense. I'll fix it once it's broken 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ANDY ABBOTT said:

We can see what she has done, what did you do???? Used to read my Manta Haynes manual to my daughter as a bedtime story,,,as long as you start "Once upon a time..".think it put her off cars for life!!..but on the flip side now 12,  she has her own mini 10.8volt Dewalt drill and impact driver and can assemble Ikea furniture on her own.. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, GTEPETE said:

Just looking at your head gasket, have I read recently on our forum you can add extra holes in the gasket to aid cooling....does anyone else know??

Yes, sometimes there is an extra holes stamped into the gasket to aid flow from block to head

Just checked two of my used head gaskets, and a new GM Frontera 2.4. One  used one has all the waterways, the other used and new one, like the above one don't? why I wonder? As my engine is turbo'd so need maximum head and block cooling, so a gasket with the additional waterways would be good for me....

1 hour ago, GTEPETE said:

Just checked two of my used head gaskets, and a new GM Frontera 2.4. One  used one has all the waterways, the other used and new one, like the above one don't? why I wonder? As my engine is turbo'd so need maximum head and block cooling, so a gasket with the additional waterways would be good for me....

Have a copper one made with the extra holes 

20 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

Have a copper one made with the extra holes 

Looks like the GT guys punch  extra holes in stock  head gasket...or use Elring head gaskets. They say "the biggest "hot spot" in the CIH head is, of course, the cylinders 2 and 3 junction because you have two exhaust valves right next to each other. Lowering exhaust gas temperature in this area results in the best cylinder-to-cylinder head temperature stabilization, which is the specific purpose of the extra coolant holes here, adjacent to #2 and #3 exhaust valves."

de_1_b-jpg.8429

https://www.opelgt.com/threads/improved-coolant-flow-to-cyl-2-3-exhaust-valves.3296/

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update on this as I've not posted about it for a while. Engine rebuild is taking place still in my garage at home it's just a as and when job at the moment. I put the car back on its wheels and rolled it out of the workshop and into dry storage to make way for kevs exclusive restoration ( the first manta) its sat in storage for a while but I pulled it back out today and finished the last little bit of welding. Just some dressing back and tidying to do, and strip out the last remaining bits from the shell and engine bay, then it should be in my body shop in the next 2 weeks for prep and paint 🙂 I'll update with pics tomorrow. 

• Like 6