Help. Manta 400 enquiry

Julian B

Manta 400.docx

Hi

I just wondered whether anyone could please help? My brother looked at a manta 400 rally car for sale in Ireland but was a bit concerned about a plate that seems to have been welded in on the front inner wing, marked with the yellow arrow in the first photo attached. The vin plate has been attached to it strangely? There also seems to be on the other side inner wing a similar plate welded on at some stage. My brother did a bit of searching of other 400 engine bays [photos further down the page] and they also seem to have similar plates that have been welded in at some stage. The last picture is Russell Brookes car and again there seems to be a similar plate. I'm sure I remember seeing this on one of Russell's cars myself. Are these areas cur out to access something and then a plate welded back over perhaps? If anyone could help it would be really appreciated. For info the car seems to be a genuine 400 rally car, minus the engine which has been replaced with a vauxhaull unit.

Julian 

Hi Julian, I think what you want to ask. Noticed them also on some ralley Ascona's and Manta's. Those oval shaped plates where the inner wheel arch goes over to the more horizontal part of the whing towards the nose:

ascona%20herwig%20thuis%2028.jpg

On a Manta-400 inside the arch:

Opel-Manta-B400-Nelissen-150.jpg

If you look to the normal road  Manta:

IMG_20190416_102926.jpg?w=1920&auto=form

Where those plates are welded the inner wing makes a fold, so I can only think they are reinforcements to keep the car straight after impact?

Hi

sorry about that, please see the photos attached as Jpegs.

Thanks so much for the pics, the welded plates obviously serve some purpose if they appear to be on other  rally mantas and asconas. I'll pass this on to my brother. Would be good to hear from anyone who is currently running a manta, even if not a 400 to see if there are similar paltes?

Many thanks577518548_Manta400plates.jpg.ffee19a3df4960c1f63635af6800aa66.jpg1012231426_Nearsideinnerwing.jpg.1e5afbe2374d1bf7a66196c7c9345f4f.jpg1577978006_Bothwings.jpg.c964b4aa50181ed9db80f19efb05e700.jpg1837985957_Russellscar.jpg.8a494492e6642a356d944e5770c30685.jpg

Julian

• Like 1

Ah, I might have the answer here. I have seen something like thus before on rally prep Fords.

if you check the vin plate and the chassis numbers they will match. But at some time it has had a new front. The reason they cut the steel panel with the original rivers is to show authenticity And so it does not get trashed should it be ploughed into a tree etc in the future.

But check the plate numbers against shell, first.