Mid life Manta Crisis

Buz

My original 76 SR was utterly rotten and that was in circa 1990, look forward to seeing your progress! 

Just now, Jessopia74 said:

Get one of those dehumidifier sponges in there and shrink wrap the seats 

The ones from home bargain for a pound seem to do a decent job.

• Like 2

The seats will need recovering . Strangely in some areas , the white part of the houndstooth has disappeared but the black threads have survived . The black vinyl has remained totally intact except for a couple of rips. I’m planning on keeping the houndstooth interior and saving as much of the original as possible. 

22 minutes ago, Buz said:

The seats will need recovering . Strangely in some areas , the white part of the houndstooth has disappeared but the black threads have survived . The black vinyl has remained totally intact except for a couple of rips. I’m planning on keeping the houndstooth interior and saving as much of the original as possible. 

Sweet talk Ian 😂

• Haha 1

Hi Buz,

are you going to buy the new full front floor pans and the Klockerholm jacking points or are you going to fabricate and patch, the jacking points look past it but your floor looks in pretty good condition for the age, the rear inner arches and strengthening plate is always an area susceptible to rust but an easy repair. 👍

At least you have IanMc's Forum thread to digest, as he has done most of these jobs to a high (and beyond) standard.

If not already started we need to get some of these rebuild threads stripped back to OP entries and open them up for the OMOC Members (with disclaimers :ph34r:). Maybe as a club we can help the OP in doing this?

I do take heart that so many jobs that were too tough to tackle years ago, are now being made easy by different engineering techniques. B)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Mike. said:

Hi Buz,

are you going to buy the new full front floor pans and the Klockerholm jacking points or are you going to fabricate and patch, the jacking points look past it but your floor looks in pretty good condition for the age, the rear inner arches and strengthening plate is always an area susceptible to rust but an easy repair. 👍

The plan is to replace full panels where possible/ practical , so probably going to go for full floor pans , jacking points, swan necks, sills, rear quarters ,  lower front valance etc etc etc . Rear inner arches and other small areas I plan to patch. Planning on getting it blasted first hopefully 🤞

2 minutes ago, Buz said:

The plan is to replace full panels where possible/ practical , so probably going to go for full floor pans , jacking points, swan necks, sills, rear quarters ,  lower front valance etc etc etc . Rear inner arches and other small areas I plan to patch. Planning on getting it blasted first hopefully 🤞

That’s still an impressive list of panels your going to need to acquire.

23 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

That’s still an impressive list of panels your going to need to acquire.

I’ve managed to get all the panels I need except for swan necks and floor pans and jacking points  . I was waiting to see how bad things were , hoping I might not need them. 😂😂

13 hours ago, IanMc said:

Eh?! - what....

Sorry I'm 52 lads, that means I don't do sweet talking any more  :lol:

😂 

The floor pans are handed, drivers and passengers sides are different, the difference is the front wheel wells driver and passenger on opposite panel sides and the bulge on the floor on the drivers side where the driver seat base frame has to be shorter to avoid the bulge close to the tunnel, I had to get both floor pans and they cover a fair bit and they fit quite well. As for RHD and LHD cars, surely the floor pan would be the same, just the bulkhead difference? good question 👍

Edited by Mike.
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

So I finally collected this today. The engine has done 90 thousand but I’m planning on a rebuild anyway .  Big thank you  to Jess for posting it’s availability on the club forum.  Does anyone know what the rear axles are like in these. I expect they are probably flimsy but i could be wrong 🤔

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 5

Awesome you got it mate, will make a great option for a motor ( and thanks for the mention).

rear axle wise, I posted in another thread as was looking at options myself. The upgraded torque shaft seems to be the way forward if your going to be pushing over 200bhp .https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OPEL-CIH-verstärkte-Deichselwelle-Hinterachse-Ascona-Manta-A-B-Kadett-C-GT-1000/283463128403

otherwise rear axle upgrade would be usual route of Commodore or 4HA from scimitar 6

Edited by Jessopia74
  • Like 2

Yeah I had just noticed that in the post on the bmw engine upgrade. This could be a great option. I’ve been looking for a 4ha , Volvo 240  etc for a while now and you need to be lucky or have deep pockets .  I’m not too keen on the extra weight that I think the Salisbury will bring . Thanks for the tip....... again . Lottery numbers next please 🙏

26 minutes ago, Buz said:

Yeah I had just noticed that in the post on the bmw engine upgrade. This could be a great option. I’ve been looking for a 4ha , Volvo 240  etc for a while now and you need to be lucky or have deep pockets .  I’m not too keen on the extra weight that I think the Salisbury will bring . Thanks for the tip....... again . Lottery numbers next please 🙏

Unless your going to pump over 300bhp, the std axle can be rebuilt with a few parts to help it cope. Again, depends on width of rear tyres. Keep them a little narrower with lsd stops things twisting so much.

Volvo axles are really hard to get hold of now, and as I have a 4HA it’s not that much heavier, it can be built up saving some weight with a few parts.  But LSD is not as easy as just dropping a jag one in, so a Volvo with a lsd is worth buying if it’s anything around second hand Opel lsd money (~800) imo.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Received the colour chart today that I purchased from eBay. Thought I would try it against the paintwork for a comparison. Pretty much spot on to be fair. The last photo is a bit misleading as the roof of the shed has a blueish fibreglass roof 

• Like 2