Ascona A series

Yes I bought it from charlie as a mom runner. I got it running, did a couple of little bits to it, fitted the wheels and new tyres, then sold it on after offering it back to charlie for what I paid for it, as Charlie only sold it as he was struggling to get it going. I thought offering it back to him first was the right thing to do, but he had already allocated the funds to hes manta and was happy to let it go. Nice little car. Rear arches needed attention. 

Edited by ANDY ABBOTT
  • Like 1

Andy Abbott sold it for around £3.5-£4K about a month or so ago on ebay  to a classic car dealer, who has currently got it on the market for £5.5K

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1225221

There is currently a guy on the Manta facebook page that is interested in buying it & has been supplied info on it from previous owners.

Don't think the car dealer has done anything to it just wants to flip it

I do miss pulling engines in and out of that little car. I’d have bought i off charlie myself if I’d got the cash at the time but I’m a porper and can’t afford anything 😂. 

On 20/05/2020 at 19:19, ANDY ABBOTT said:

Yes I bought it from charlie as a mom runner. I got it running, did a couple of little bits to it, fitted the wheels and new tyres, then sold it on after offering it back to charlie for what I paid for it, as Charlie only sold it as he was struggling to get it going. I thought offering it back to him first was the right thing to do, but he had already allocated the funds to hes manta and was happy to let it go. Nice little car. Rear arches needed attention. 

What was the running issue after all Andy? 

13 hours ago, ANDY ABBOTT said:

Coil was goosed, dizzy was 180 out and the plug leads was in the wrong firing order. 

There’s no surprise really. Charlie’s got a box full of old coils id be surprised if any of them work at all 🤣. There’s no excuse for the firing order though haha 

• Haha 2

Tried numerous coils, including a know to be good one and a brand new one. As soon as Andrew drove off with it I thought about the leads but there you go. Sometimes when you spend too much time looking, you can't see anything. The original fuse box was so knackered that the fuses fell out as you shut the passengers door. It looked ok with the cover on and it worked . I was going to do more with it.

If you think I have a lot of coils you should see my collection of starter motors

• Like 2

2 hours ago, welder said:

The original fuse box was so knackered that the fuses fell out as you shut the passengers door. It looked ok with the cover on and it worked . I was going to do more with it.

Agreed that the original fuse boxes on "A"s are crap "B"s are only marginally better.

If i was the dealer selling i would have at least made a fuse cover up out of black card/plastic before i took the interior picture.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, welder said:

Tried numerous coils, including a know to be good one and a brand new one. As soon as Andrew drove off with it I thought about the leads but there you go. Sometimes when you spend too much time looking, you can't see anything. The original fuse box was so knackered that the fuses fell out as you shut the passengers door. It looked ok with the cover on and it worked . I was going to do more with it.

If you think I have a lot of coils you should see my collection of starter motors

I remember the one you made for that Red GTE. One day I’ll make one for mine......one day........ maybe when the kit car show comes back and we can browse around stuff again .