WOW, The Opel Project Lives

Well, its been a very, very long journey in the restoration of the A series! and finally today was they day when we hit the road for the first shakedown 🙂

Still a few little bits to iron out and a new battery to buy, but well happy with the way she drives. 

Time to sort out the free tax and MOT so we can get out and start doing some proper miles.

I will get some better footage with sound next time but here a a few clips.

http://theopelproject.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Opel-Project.mp4

One good this to come out of this lock-down, happy days!!

Andy

• Like 11

Getting out in the Manta for the first time in a lot of years gives you a great deal of satisfaction and reinforces the fact that all the time and effort spent in the garage was worth while, looking good in your video, drives well,

well done 👍

5 minutes ago, Mike. said:

Getting out in the Manta for the first time in a lot of years gives you a great deal of satisfaction and reinforces the fact that all the time and effort spent in the garage was worth while, looking good in your video, drives well,

well done 👍

Thanks, Mike

It does make it all worth while and the first set of lights i pulled up at a guy waiting to cross shouted over, Love the car! so makes it even better when you have something that people dont see every day on the road. Got to get cracking on the bodywork now just in case there are some shows on at the end of the year!!

• Like 1

You'r driving at the wrong side! They all drive at the wrong side!🤪🔀

Serious, congratulations! If you gonna work on the body as with the mecanic this car is going to be a headturner.

4 hours ago, H-400 said:

You'r driving at the wrong side! They all drive at the wrong side!🤪🔀

Serious, congratulations! If you gonna work on the body as with the mecanic this car is going to be a headturner.

Thanks, Herman.

You know its the right side, every one else is on the wrong side 🙂

I plan to get started in a week or two as hopefully i might be able to get some paint some time soon. I managed to get to primer before lockdown so at least i can do some prep on it.

The engine was worth all the hassle, as it feels like its going to be pretty nippy!!

10 hours ago, pjz1000 said:

It will be good to have two of us on the road down here its been a bit lonely the last year even though I only ventured out a few times when the sun shone😃

Hey Paul

And i thought i was the only one in Bournemouth with an A series, a small world 🙂 Where in Bournemouth are you? im over near Iford.

Have you got a Turbo??

Be interesting to see how mine goes compared to the Turbo if you do have one!!

Im just sorting out the tax and MOT and then i should be on the road and hopefully if i get her run in over the next few months, when this is over maybe we can arrange a meet up?

I plan on going out what ever the weather and make the most of driving the A as it has been far too long off the road.

Andy

Hi Andy, recognised the area a real coincidence I bought my Turbo from a good friend back in the good old days 1988 when cars were cars and he lived in lford.Ive just taken the old girl out for a quick run at lunch time as the weather is so good, mind you having a black car and no air con does get a bit sticky even with the windows down .I'm over in Bear Cross so not a million miles away.

I've looked at what you've done to yours and hats off to you its amazing the quality you've put into it, I myself  obviously have gone a different route being what the car is most of the restoration was done in the late 80s but as you know its continuous, it was mainly dry stored  through to about two years ago when I had more time to spend on it(kids all grown up).

Good to here from you Andy and we should meet up for a chin wag.

all the best Paul.

8 hours ago, pjz1000 said:

Hi Andy, recognised the area a real coincidence I bought my Turbo from a good friend back in the good old days 1988 when cars were cars and he lived in lford.Ive just taken the old girl out for a quick run at lunch time as the weather is so good, mind you having a black car and no air con does get a bit sticky even with the windows down .I'm over in Bear Cross so not a million miles away.

I've looked at what you've done to yours and hats off to you its amazing the quality you've put into it, I myself  obviously have gone a different route being what the car is most of the restoration was done in the late 80s but as you know its continuous, it was mainly dry stored  through to about two years ago when I had more time to spend on it(kids all grown up).

Good to here from you Andy and we should meet up for a chin wag.

all the best Paul.

Hey Paul

Even back in those days the old Turbo was a rare car! I know there use to be one this way but didnt know it still existed. We will have to find a car meet to go to when this is over as we will be able to go in force!! Mine has been a very slow restoration, with work, moving and as you say kids! getting in the way! and the fact a bought a motor bike years ago and it was more fun to take that out on a sunny day rather than being stuck under the Manta 🙂

I have a bit of running in to do and a few niggles to sort out and my parents live in Ferndown so you never know you might see me out and about near you, as soon i have sorted out the tax and MOT. Im off to send in all my details tomorrow to register for free tax and no MOT so should be on the road soon.

Be nice to be able to see yours as its been a while since i have seen one.

and as you say a Manta is always an ongoing project!!

Hope we can catch up soon.

Andy

Hi Andy l sorted out all the tax thing last year wasn't to bad.

My local mot station gave it a good going over as the owner is into his american cars and all it cost was a crate of beers he had a manta along time ago so he appreciated the car.

So no official mot but you don't need one for our age of car but I have piece of mind it's all safe.

Paul

14 hours ago, pjz1000 said:

Hi Andy l sorted out all the tax thing last year wasn't to bad.

My local mot station gave it a good going over as the owner is into his american cars and all it cost was a crate of beers he had a manta along time ago so he appreciated the car.

So no official mot but you don't need one for our age of car but I have piece of mind it's all safe.

Paul

Sent mine off today, the guy in the post office had to change the classification to historic! to get it zero tax, now i juat need to wait for them to update it. Just paid the insurance so i should be on the road very soon. I was thinking that i should get an MOT check, just to make sure all is ok as lots of it was fitted years ago and you forget what you torqued up and what you though you would do later. I think i will then just have an MOT check when i think i need it.

Time to get cracking on the bodywork now while the weather is still nice :--)

Its going to see strange not having things to fix/fit on the car now. Think i might have to start on the 1967 Lambretta i have in the loft in bits that i have been meaning to get working on. That should be a quicker restoration as you can buy all the bits off of the shelf 🙂

Andy

• Like 2

Great news Andy all the hard work is starting to pay off hopefully just in time for summer to enjoy the many hours hard work driving with a big smile on your face saying to yourself it was worth it enjoy it 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, yeti132 said:

Great news Andy all the hard work is starting to pay off hopefully just in time for summer to enjoy the many hours hard work driving with a big smile on your face saying to yourself it was worth it enjoy it 

Im looking forward to later in the year when i can hopefully get to the odd car show or two 🙂

After changing a few bits on the dashboard to try and fix the temp gauge i thought i would run down to tesco and get some fuel but after filling up i thought maybe i should go just a little further just to check things out, 5 miles later!!

All the gauges now work but i have got a few bits to sort out. Front caliper rubbing, still need to sort the exhaust as its knocking quite a lot (but i have a cunning plan for this!) and i noticed that i have missed the split pins from the tie rod end ball joints!!

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 5