New Ascona A owner

Hi,

Just picked up a 72 Ascona A 1.6s a week ago and have been on the Facebook group but thought I would join here and say hi! New to Opels and my 1st classic so really excited to have the car and get stuck in. Already had some great help from people on Facebook. Hope to catch some of you at a show once I’ve got some bits done to the car and the worlds back to normal!

Edited by LewisKnowles
Typo

Hi Lewis

Welcome to the forum, that is a rare & nice looking car you have bought.

I know from the facebook page that you have been sorting out some minor problems, did you manage to find/make a new cover for the replacement fuse box ?

What are your longer term plans for the car ?

Consider joining the OMOC as either a web member for £20 pa or full member £25 pa as this will give you access to all parts of the forum.

Several members on here owned your car in the past & would be able to give you any info you need.

I too own a 1.6 Ascona but the later B model has the same engine as yours though.

14 minutes ago, 611 said:

Looks nice 🙂

And you are in the right place for Opel help and support!

Andy

Thanks mate 👍🏻

3 minutes ago, Rapierdave said:

Hi Lewis

Welcome to the forum, that is a rare & nice looking car you have bought.

I know from the facebook page that you have been sorting out some minor problems, did you manage to find/make a new cover for the replacement fuse box ?

What are your longer term plans for the car ?

Consider joining the OMOC as either a web member for £20 pa or full member £25 pa as this will give you access to all parts of the forum.

Several members on here owned your car in the past & would be able to give you any info you need.

I too own a 1.6 Ascona but the later B model has the same engine as yours though.

thanks mate

havent done anything with the fuse box as of yet. There’s was a few missing switches and some electrical gremlins so I’ve ordered all the missing bits and I’ve got an auto electrician who’s going to go through it all once I do. I’m then going to make some new carpets and put all them in so I’ll do something with it then. I’m going to build a false back in the boot so I’ve got somewhere to hide oil/tools/jack etc and carpet all that out too and just give it all a good clean and refresh inside.

Short term I just want to get it running sweetly and not leaking oil. Mines the earlier 1.6 which doesn’t have the bolts from the head to the timing cover so might be challenge. I’ve got all the gaskets coming and putting a new water pump on as that’s leaking too. I’ve tweaked a few things but need to set the timing and carb up properly. I also want a new set of wheels on it, I’m thinking these Rota BM8s

spacer.png

Long term with the car, going to run it as a daily for work, it’s only a couple of miles from my village on quiet roads so should be fine. One rear wheel arch has gone, so in time I want to change that and have the whole car resprayed. There’s a couple of little dents and bits and bobs I’ll do at the same time. I’ve just bought a new house which is a fixer upper so it’s balancing doing the house and the car, whilst keeping the wife from getting too annoyed with me! I would love to do an engine swap for something more fruity in the future too, but with the rarity and low mileage (49k) I’m undecided on that. I’ve always been in to American stuff and hot rods, and I can’t help wondering what it would be like with a small block Chevy under the bonnet! I will probably join the club and hopefully get to some shows to meet you all and see your cars and get some inspiration!

• Like 1