Oil Catch Can CIH Engine

LewisKnowles

Hi,

On my Ascona A 1.6S I’m finding the car makes the house smell of oil, and I’m getting splats of oil on the underside of the bonnet. I’ve got a breather pipe currently going to a little filter so think I need an oil catch can instead. Has anyone fitted one and any tips/recommendations? The inlet is obvious, but where have you routed the outlet? My car has a Weber carb which I believe is none standard with a k&n filter on top. Thanks in advance 

it does indeed.

this can also be due to a blocked gauze filter in the valve cover.depending on aluminium or steel type its possible to remove this (different methods)and clean it.this should allow the oil to drip back iinto the engine and only the fumes to come out.with an oil catch can you will still get fumes as it has to be open to the atmosphere which it wassnt designed to be.

idealy you would fit a stub into the air filter so it can go back into the engine and you will get no smell then.

• Thanks 1

You can also look for the reason your engine's got some pressure: Those old CIH's of the "A" models had not valve stem seals as we know yet. An engine overhaul shop can change the head so those stem seals can be fitted. Did this once myself with the head of a Manta-A. The 2  gauzes in the original valve cover can be removed by bending the both ends of the location where they are fitted. With a small saw-blade  you can pull the gauzes out, they get stuck on the blade .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies. Will run a compression test next week. The head hasn’t was rebuilt last year so valve stem seals all done etc so hoping not that! The engine was running reasonably sweet when I got it but within the space of 100 miles it’s now running poorly, anything above half throttle and it coughs and splutters as well as developing a couple of oil leaks. One was from the fuel pump the other seems to be from the seal in the timing cover which I’m going to go through next week. I’m going to check the timing and give it a good service too I’ve got new oil plugs filter too. Sounds like it’s the breather gauze then so rocker cover off job unfortunately. Thanks for the help, once I’ve done all the work I’ll let you know if that’s cured it 

Edited by LewisKnowles
Added further info
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, LewisKnowles said:

Thanks for the reply’s. Will run a compression test next week. The head hasn’t long been rebuilt I believe though so that’s a bit worrying! The engine was running reasonably sweet when I got it but within the space of 100 miles it’s now running poorly, anything above half throttle and it coughs and splutters as well as developing a couple of oil leaks. One was from the fuel pump the other seems to be from the seal in the timing cover which I’m going to go through next week. I’m going to check the timing and give it a good service too I’ve got new oil plugs filter too. Could any of that be causing the pressure build up?

Not unless it’s dumped enough fuel in the bores to wash them and kill the rings, you will smell it in the oil if this happens.

So compression test, no point speculative diagnosis until you do the basics mate

• Thanks 1

On 31/05/2020 at 12:01, Jessopia74 said:

Not unless it’s dumped enough fuel in the bores to wash them and kill the rings, you will smell it in the oil if this happens.

So compression test, no point speculative diagnosis until you do the basics mate

Don’t think it’s killed the rings, hope not anyway!

With the compression test, any idea what it should be at? I’ll obviously spot if one cylinder is out but be good to know what a good reading should be on these engines 

thanks 

So update on this, pulled the gauze out, gave it a clean but it wasn’t bad at all so compression test Wednesday I think when I fit my new heater valve and refill everything. Had the radiator out today to change the water pump and the oil seal behind the timing cover both had gone. I had oil and water leaks that are now cured. Flushed the radiator out as the water was brown and a hint of oil. I know the wrong head gasket was in it at one point so hope it’s stemmed from that before It was fixed. Also changed the plugs oil and filter while I was at it. Quickly fired it up after and got a worrying amount of blue smoke my garage stunk. Had a head rebuild by the previous owner so im hoping it was just some unburned fuel or something 😬 Noticed a big hole in the backbox so need a new one of those too. Need to set the timing as it’s out and tweak the carb as well and give it a good clean. Seem to be 1 step forward and 2 back at the minute!

2 hours ago, LewisKnowles said:

So update on this, pulled the gauze out, gave it a clean but it wasn’t bad at all so compression test Wednesday I think when I fit my new heater valve and refill everything. Had the radiator out today to change the water pump and the oil seal behind the timing cover both had gone. I had oil and water leaks that are now cured. Flushed the radiator out as the water was brown and a hint of oil. I know the wrong head gasket was in it at one point so hope it’s stemmed from that before It was fixed. Also changed the plugs oil and filter while I was at it. Quickly fired it up after and got a worrying amount of blue smoke my garage stunk. Had a head rebuild by the previous owner so im hoping it was just some unburned fuel or something 😬 Noticed a big hole in the backbox so need a new one of those too. Need to set the timing as it’s out and tweak the carb as well and give it a good clean. Seem to be 1 step forward and 2 back at the minute!

The more you dig the more you find, unfortunately that is the case with our old beasts, and apparently the fun 😀