berlinetta coupe rebuild/modify

stumpy

so this is to me the worst part of the repair the rot is in the a post inner skin  [the peice at side of your feet when sitting in the car ]well that little triangle piece in front of the a post but it goes back further  right up to the lip the door seal sits on so i will have to drill out the spot welds and change the whole peice ime thinking i may have to take out the  steering column/dashboard   x brace/rail    as it attaches at the very top of the section i need to change

i  will have to fabricate it first now  ime confident of being able to make something  resembling the original but its not going to be 100 % accurate but it will be strong i will make ths from 1.2 mm steel instead of the 0.9mm i beleive of the original ?  its really no good in my opinion trying a rust converter or any of that pish  just chop it out and be done with it  the only problem is  that top corner theres like 3 seperate panels  all join on that corner

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Edited by stumpy
  • Like 1

the swan neck isnt to bad tbh what i find strange is the  inner face of the chassis is spotless and covered in waxoil as is the flat at the bottom its the outer face thats gone it has had 1 plate previously near the bolt hole   so i can easily repair this without  changing the full panel  its as new in there so pointless

Edited by stumpy

anybody had anything like this regards the rot on the inner panel extending all the way up to the very bottom of the windscreen pillar at the scuttle   to remove the panel i have to either remove the ends of the panel marked with two lines or drill out all the spot welds and remove it completely  and also the panel marked with 1 line will need to be removed  the actual door hinge inner panel seems solid and i think wil clean backto good steel the top of it will need repairing and the outer skin will have to be changed ime deliberating on this could do with some advice 

On 14/06/2020 at 02:51, stumpy said:

anybody had anything like this regards the rot on the inner panel extending all the way up to the very bottom of the windscreen pillar at the scuttle   to remove the panel i have to either remove the ends of the panel marked with two lines or drill out all the spot welds and remove it completely  and also the panel marked with 1 line will need to be removed  the actual door hinge inner panel seems solid and i think wil clean backto good steel the top of it will need repairing and the outer skin will have to be changed ime deliberating on this could do with some advice 

I  Managed to buy a complete left and right A posts from reclaimed cars, both are corrosion free, so they do come up.

What you could do if you can get them,  is drill out the spot welds to get the panels you need, and cut out repair section as you need them. You probably don’t even need complete Aposts, just sections that are in good condition.

• Like 1

triple webber carb obviously custom fanricated inlet to mount them i have no idea wether i will use them but at the price i couldnt turn them down

Edited by stumpy
  • Like 2

got  a bit more progress today  slow going drilling out spotwelds and trying to remove panels without damage apart from the inner A  post that i hammer and bolstered out after drilling spot welds   the inner a post outer face behind the skin cover looks   very crust at first but cleaned up not to bad at all with the addition of a twisted knot wire wheel hopefully te rest will be like the first bit i did 

https://ibb.co/9H99zxT

https://ibb.co/9H99zxT a little daunting digging into the inner structure but theres abolutely no point doing it if ime not going to chop the tin worm out completely it will be 100% solid and clean steel be the time we are finished

Edited by stumpy
  • Like 4

i never realised how the windscreen pillar had 3 layers  either 
the part you see up the side of the screen  rubber from outside   then an inner  but that is then sandwiched by the piece you can see from the inside of the car running up to the roof  with a peice of trim glued to it  i have to do surgery to the middle section so will be dealing with that next

• Like 1

i think i wil try and get some shell cuts or failing that cut out the panel and fab from 1mm zintec steel  deffo the worst part of the car the rest is plain sailing after 

Edited by stumpy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

managed to pick up a manta 400 bonnet on ebay for £23 so thats now a full kit  £15 to et it uplifted bargain needs slight repair but thats fine someone fitted an extra scoop  the guy also threw in a rear spoiler and also a headlight lense must be something about manta owners

pic

Edited by stumpy
  • Like 1

so ive come up with a bit of a plan  ime thinking of running some 60x40 mm box section along the inner sills [sit inside ] the cavity   then at the front behind the door hinge plates weld some 30x30 box section at 90 degrees to the 60x40   the door hinges then welded to this 30x30 so their position cannot move 
 then i can build/remove the rotten panel from around the hinges without them shifting position   [ dont fancy that much] 

the inner A post is heavily pitted and pinholed after cleaning it up with a twisted knot wire wheel and would in my opinion be like a patch work quilt
 ime trying to get panels from a scrap car but no luck at the moment  .
 i was trawling the projects section  after seeing a chap on here by the name of william who has a highly modded manta in the projects section way back   ime thinking everything else can be built around this and externaly would look the same with the A post covers welded in place this is a last resort  but a definite way out of trouble even if not one for the purists

Edited by stumpy

Yep, anything is possible, as long as door hinges dont move, try doors before fitting, as they normally do need a little adjustment.

surprised no one has offered you a cut from a scrapper, surprisingly they are normally not too bad here, did yours have a factory fitted sunroof? 

Maybe try and parts wanted advert, and show photo of what you need. Explain that outer cover will be replaced.

it has a pop up glass roof i think its always had or was a non sunroof and was converted to sunroof   i think whats happened is its had some rot in the lower windscreen pillar corner[bubbling paint] i think water has been let in through pinholes here constantly running in and down the the cavity between the two panels of the A post  there plenty of clean steel but plenty of thin pitted steel to and ime not hapy to paint with rust remover or a anti rust paint and slap the outer A post cover on it tho it would probably be good for ten years its not how i like to work  i did have a lead on the A post with the roof pillar  but hes gone a bit quiet so i dont think he could be bothered to cut out tbh i will deffo put and add in wanted  with a pic has to be someone with a unsaveable or shunted shell/car

as you can see in the pic the hing is bolted to a stelel frame i wouldnt be going to this extent but  its an option for the problem areas at least

Edited by stumpy
  • Like 1