berlinetta coupe rebuild/modify

stumpy

fresh out the wrapping under the watchful eye of my helper finally managed to get a set of good doors.... not mint but rock solid and straight ..some rust along the bottom of the skin its surface where its been rubbed down at some point
i will need to get some channel to make a frame for the poly windows iintend to fit 

but what it means is i can now start the A pillar repairs wich ive put off until i had a door to keep check on alignment
and  being the A post and that whole section is the worst area of the car thats where i want to start the resto and have waited to do so  until i had doors so now i can get cracking  on that area before chopping anything else out 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Edited by stumpy

6 hours ago, stumpy said:

as a side note i couldnt beleive the difference in weight with the bare door as opposed to the rotten but whole/complete with glass/winder mechanism  door i took off

Yeah, heavy beasts huh

Both the A posts (complete inside and out) on exclusive need reclaimed A posts grafting in as they are completely rotten. L

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

finally managed to get the front subframe/ engine/ box out as one unit  had to cut through one of the rear leg mounting bolts as was rusted solid the other  flew out  so grappled with it got the motor off the subbie dont have an engine hoist so  fair weight on them motors on your own 

Edited by stumpy
  • Like 1

On 15/12/2020 at 19:01, stumpy said:

as a side note i couldnt beleive the difference in weight with the bare door as opposed to the rotten but whole/complete with glass/winder mechanism  door i took off

A bare fibreglass door is the same weight as stripped out metal door. Never seen an a post rott out, maybe its the difference in a 30, 35, 40yr old car being outside, guess if you only bought the car, there is a good chance it has. Worth noteing could be the doom for alot of cars in the future. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ®evo03 said:

A bare fibreglass door is the same weight as stripped out metal door. Never seen an a post rott out, maybe its the difference in a 30, 35, 40yr old car being outside, guess if you only bought the car, there is a good chance it has. Worth noteing could be the doom for alot of cars in the future. 

Both A posts on my Exclusive coupe shell are rotten, but already have replacements (salvaged from earlier cars as it happens! ) to put in. 
On 79 shell mint & on silver 85 Berlinetta mint - however, both these shells do not have sunroofs.

Could it be the front sunroof drains on the sunroof models, another 3 or 4 inches of drain piping and a bung sorts that out, and what opel should have done! Maybe it was all that acid rain in the nineties! Whatever happened to acid rain? and no it had nothing to do with the happy mondays, or did it! 

you know its going to be a long day when every single bolt is rusted solid to remove the rear axle/suspension so left that soaking  over night  but ime thinking its going  to be a case of cutting the heads of the bolts and drifting the shanks out

few pics of the front end grot now  the front clip is removed

Edited by stumpy
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, stumpy said:

wil see if anywhere local i can get some and give it a bash i hate using a grinder while lying on my back under the thing

Diesel will maybe do! Kerosene is home heating oil, just incase you dont know! 

Basicially put it this way, i haven't failed yet, always works, dont even have a pinch bar, plenty of curse words, and grrrrrr noises!

• Like 1

pheeew thats done been lying on my back all day shite dropping in my eyes but its all now off just the rear bumper bootlid tank and rear lights and its a bare shell

Edited by stumpy
  • Like 5

On 12/01/2021 at 19:05, Jessopia74 said:

Both A posts on my Exclusive coupe shell are rotten, but already have replacements (salvaged from earlier cars as it happens! ) to put in. 
On 79 shell mint & on silver 85 Berlinetta mint - however, both these shells do not have sunroofs.

have seen bottoms of A posts rusted and completely detached from rest of car and that was on a 79 cav saloon with no sunroof so it can happen yes.no major issue to repair or replace but time consuming to get door alignment correct. 

all part of the fun !

• Like 2

the weird thing is that  it will clean back to bright steel
there are some heavily pitted areas wich i was going to cut out and patch repair
 but it  seems to bleed rust......  i cleaned it back to bright steel painted it straight away in   random aerosol paint to protect temporary  i was goin to remove it and use a good quality anti rust paint but it started rusting within a day or two very strange a different area i did the same time no sign at all of rust coming through 

Edited by stumpy

no manta fun today had to  make a new subframe for a seat i want to adapt to fit the bike ime building atm first time ive used this mig welder very pleased with it  nice and smooth the last one suffered wire feed issues even after changing the wire feed assemby from a newer model so got this one instead 

Edited by stumpy