berlinetta coupe rebuild/modify

stumpy

1 minute ago, stumpy said:

ime undecided as yet Jess i was going to go with 100mm  but the whole floor is raised slightly being its completely flat so undecided yet between as you say 75/100 mm

Was considering something similar on the black coupe floor when I get started, plenty of room as the seat frame is pretty deep.

• Like 1

day off today sick to death of the dreaded tin worm its everywhere  i seem to look theres no way if i was doing this back to standard i would have completed it 
so ime glad its being modified as it will live another life and pretty much a blank slate theres no right or wrong most of the under seat area at the rear is roached the arches the closing panel of the inner sill come off in my hand   its rotten

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, stumpy said:

day off today sick to death of the dreaded tin worm its everywhere  i seem to look theres no way if i was doing this back to standard i would have completed it 
so ime glad its being modified as it will live another life and pretty much a blank slate theres no right or wrong most of the under seat area at the rear is roached the arches the closing panel of the inner sill come off in my hand   its rotten

Important to take a break now and then. Just not a permanent one 😁

• 2 weeks later...

i havent had much chance to do anything the last week or so due to my day job and the fine weather meaning i could crack on and earn a crust

Edited by stumpy

so ive been reworking the chassis rails  in the end i went for new ones made from a larger diameter  box 75x50x3  the angles at 45 degrees as i originally did them wouldnt work in the build  on this occasion   to sharp of an angle 30 degrees is pretty much cock on

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

this really is a peice of shite removed the scuttle and there just happens to be rust right the way across on the bulkhead skin  that attaches to the thiscker gauge inner frame work luckily thats ok just goes to show that althought they look ok rot hides literally everywhere either that or i have just been extremely unlucky  on this occasion but it is ongoing and ime literally having some fun with it as it was that or scrap it

Edited by stumpy
  • Like 1

if youre anything at all like me ,if someone says 'you'll never fix that then that just makes me even more determined. everything can be repaired in theory it just depends on you frame of mind .

these cars of ours were built in an era when rust was the main killer ( probably electrics nowadays)and even thou they had rust protection of sorts it never worked longterm but manufacturers didnt want that anyway !

cars in the 70's and 80's seemed to last around 10-15 years tops but now if i go underneath our lasses clio apart from some surface rust on ironwork the physical structure of the car is totally rust free and thats 15 yr old now.

but us classic owners are a hardy bunch .as well as mad as hatters 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

indeed and i totally agree all 70s-80s cars are in the same boat  anything ford vauxhall or austin lol   ime glad to see panels being remaufactured i think its a win win for the guys doing it and obviously us lot theres certainly going to be a huge demand but i hope prices are kept sensible  ..

this has gone way beyond a retoration that it was intended to be when i purchased it and thats  a bit of a pill to swallow but i hate giving up on things  though sadly  it will never be close to being an original or remotely like a manta that rolled of the production line wich is what i wanted   
buuut  .... that being said  its now a free for all  with me making everything   its just not viable to do it any other way so choice was scrap it for parts  or  just build it  as mental as my little cider addled brain could think of and well ...the cider won me over and ive gone a little beserk
although ive had hardly anytime on it the last few months i have managed a few hours this week as had to have a week off .... i purposely havent posted pics as pepes will hate it  and thats fine

but its better [modified] than being baked bean tins in my opinion

so i have a 400 kit here and ime going to be cutting the wheel arch anyway
but i think they have cut it more than they needed ... and ime not sure if theres enough material left of the original quarter panel/arch to do that?
 worst case scenario i will custom make something using some thin steel rod to make a skeleton and then panel it in with sheet and weld that to the car we shall see
Frankensteins manta .....this should be called

Edited by stumpy
  • Like 2