berlinetta coupe rebuild/modify

so today has been spent measuring up  the floors ime using were originaly made for an old mini project 

now on a mini the floor at its outer few inches goes up at a 45 degree angle or there abouts and another 45 to make to a 90 degree where it becomes the innersill 
so  being i have these folds already in the panels i made ime going  [rather than chop them off to give a straight flat ] and turn these into twin exhaust tunnels either side of the gearbox/trans tunnel  in case of v8 power and being folds in sheet steel add stiffness /strength i think maybe a winner   if it doesnt work i will chop them off as i have plenty of material in the panels length and width wise  ..dontlook like this now hasa healthydose of surface rust but thats fine will give them a blast with sand blaster or wire brush

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 1
  • Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

busy couple of days ahead stripping the mechanicals and suspension out  had a price to get it blasted inside outside and underneath and the guy will come tome wich saves me so much hassle so thats the

pheeew thats done been lying on my back all day shite dropping in my eyes but its all now off just the rear bumper bootlid tank and rear lights and its a bare shell

folded up some new cr4 steel inner sills/floor  did them a bit heavier gauge than standard this is maximum length of my folder at 6 ft  Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click t

Posted Images

managed to get the inner sill in place its not welded but held with tec srews [i love using these things]
  it also worked out as planned with an 80x40 box section running along the inside of the sill this is going to be tied in to the A post bottom when the outer sill is removed by using two half moon shaped peices of 2.5mm plate to box it in

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

you can also see the gap on the inside of the rear quarter between the inner sill top the Rot had spread up and was so thin all along where the original inner sill was spot welded ...it looked solid   too prior to cuttin it out
how many other projects have rust between mating faces like this scary thought

Edited by stumpy

next job derust [blast] the floor in pic two then trim it up to suit and offer it up will also be changine the rear underseat x member ??? and putting two peices of 60x40 box instead

so trimmed up the floor and derusted it as was covered in a heavy layer of surface rust cleaned up lovely still a little bit to do

offered into place and more fettling got a nice tight join to the inner sill and sitting on a 20mm lip here so mucho strong

the floor is not sitting flat/level in the pic as the chassis ect underneath needs trimming for it to sit as i want it  but the old chassis will be getting cut out anyway 

So i had a spare folded tray here,  wich i trimmed down /more to be trimmed its approx 110 mm deep with 20mm lips so rather than let this go to waste its going to form the rear section of the exhaust tunnel probably trime the 20mm lip thatattaches it to the tunneldown to 10mm tho

along with the folded edge of the floor pan and this section when joined would give approx 110x110   with a taper as can be seen 

Obviously it is not going to sit as high as in the pics it is literally just placed for the pic and to  see if i like it
It will have a matching tunnel the opposite side as i may or may  not run a v8 but at least its there should i decide to and adds detail to the floor so stronger i would think.

Edited by stumpy
  • Like 2

managed an hour or two so cut the floor pan down in width ready for the exhaust tunnel i have fabd and  had a little play at coming up with a closing panel for the rear end of the floor have a couple of options a straight panel with a lip  and a cut out for front ofthe rear chassis rail as this needs and angled peice or a fully angled piece full width 

• Like 1

ime undecided as yet Jess i was going to go with 100mm  but the whole floor is raised slightly being its completely flat so undecided yet between as you say 75/100 mm

ive made it at 100mm  but easily trim it down should i need to

Edited by stumpy
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, stumpy said:

ime undecided as yet Jess i was going to go with 100mm  but the whole floor is raised slightly being its completely flat so undecided yet between as you say 75/100 mm

Was considering something similar on the black coupe floor when I get started, plenty of room as the seat frame is pretty deep.

• Like 1

this is why i love the tec screws
all revesible during this stageasits a caseof suck it and see tbh
height on tunnel also depends how much clearance i have between the bottom of the 60 x40 box section running across the rear
originally it is angled downwards from the centre towards the inner sill its looked good but had rot alongthe inside for a good 6 inches not into patching things up.
  so  mine are flat/level  doesnt give me as much room obviously but  i can alter it but ime enjoying the whole process tbh 

Edited by stumpy
  • Like 1

day off today sick to death of the dreaded tin worm its everywhere  i seem to look theres no way if i was doing this back to standard i would have completed it 
so ime glad its being modified as it will live another life and pretty much a blank slate theres no right or wrong most of the under seat area at the rear is roached the arches the closing panel of the inner sill come off in my hand   its rotten

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, stumpy said:

day off today sick to death of the dreaded tin worm its everywhere  i seem to look theres no way if i was doing this back to standard i would have completed it 
so ime glad its being modified as it will live another life and pretty much a blank slate theres no right or wrong most of the under seat area at the rear is roached the arches the closing panel of the inner sill come off in my hand   its rotten

Important to take a break now and then. Just not a permanent one 😁

yes mate has to be done for sanity just means more panels to make you know its bad when even things that look solid crumble in your hand when you scratch away the paint/sealer 

this was  yesterdays work replicating the inner sill of the drivers side

i removed the tunnel  [easy enough]  as i wanted to change the under seat rear x member set up as well wasnt happy with the box section i put in either so ime going to make some higher four link box x braces to do the same job as the x member would have

• Like 1

i cut the rear section off the inner sill cover panel to expose the box section
i will be putting in the x brace at that cut end  and then once done put a peice back on so i have the return lip
as i then need to replace the lower section of quarter panel inner frame wich will tie into it

also have some roll cage base mounting boxes i fabbed up that will get welded directly to the box section
the cover panel then will be altered to suit to pretty it up  obviously the box section will be tied directly into the A post and the jaking points will be in original position but a different design   will tie the chasis rail into the A post as per original will probaly use some75x25x5mm unuqual length angle iron two  peieces joined down the centre to give a chunky strong area to jack

Edited by stumpy