possible Pulsation Dampener problem

execman

i'v pulled my 2.7 Exclusive coupe out of hibernation, with the intention of taking her to Sywell next month. on startup, she idled for about 5 mins before dying; my best mate, (a fellow manta enthusiast), suggested that fuel line pressure is the issue.

we fitted a new Bosch pump + adjacent filter a couple of weeks ago, and as the engine has no fuel regulator, he thinks the PD is the culprit-its the rusted up item on the far right highlighted here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Opel-Manta-GTE-Electric-Fuel-Pump-Bracket-and-Pre-Filter-Assembly-/293568044481?nma=true&si=FXd4nQRwL0%2FmN28AuN6HLafz6eI%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

has anyone tried to replace this?  this isnt my one, but mine still looks like it will break if an attempt is made to even remove the attached fuel pipes. are these not designed to be changed? am I barking up the wrong tree?

Execman

Have a look in the project section “Mike’s Manta” page 4,

I sourced a new Bosch diaphragm damper and put up part numbers as well, just to give others the information if they needed.

wasn't cheep though, needed a small mortgage for all it is!!!!

9 minutes ago, execman said:

I was hoping I was barking up the wrong tree, as I can see it'll be a nightmare to replace; i'll have a look tanks Mike.

Execman

If you have no pressure regulator, if I have read that correctly, what is controlling the fuel pressure?

Remove it, I don't have one on my current Manta which has a C20XE and I didn't have one on my old one which was had a 1.8E injection system fitted to it. 

Do you still have the pre-pump filter fitted?

Edited by Ems

43 minutes ago, execman said:

the fuel return regulator is in the car, and i'll be checking whether its functioning tomorrow. if i do need a replacement diaphragm damper/ pressure regulator, where can i source one?

As others have said I've run many cars with it removed due to corrosion but if you want a damper the later c20ne etc had them mounted by the fuel rail.

I will go down to the garage in a minute and take a picture as they are a different design than the ones fitted to the manta. They are a lot easier to get hold of and much cheaper.

Edited by Snowy

i'm getting insufficient pressure coming out of the pump + I noticed black bits in the fuel leaving the pump-so I've just bought a new prefilter on Ebay; as it looks like the original one is breaking up internally. btw ti'm running the Frontera fuel rail which has its own regulater. I siphoned out spent super unleaded when the car was pulled out of hibernation; could this be why the prefilter appears to be breaking up internally? does old spent fuel damage the prefilter? it melted tarmac when some was spilt removing it.

we tested the pulsation dampener and it appears to be working, so I've discounted that.

The standard 2.0E needs 2.5bar pressure at the injectors from the fuel pump, you might be different with a 2.7 engine, what’s the pressure you are getting if you are saying insufficient? have you tested it.

Edited by Mike.

I dont have any way to measure this Mike; I just know its nowhere near enough between the pre filter and pump. I can only work on the car on Saturdays as I'm working from home. the replacement pre filter will hoepfully be here by Friday, so I'll know by the end of play Saturday if the pressuer is sufficient.

Just in case your following the manta haynes manual, they got it wrong! fuel feed should be direct into rail, regulated on return. 

Black particles could be a breakdown internally of rubber pipe, beter replacing it, it only lasts a few yrs, never had successs, think its the ethanol!

If you need to test pressure, you could fit a in line gauge, handy to so you can keep an eye? Petrol pumps can fail anywhere.

Worth cleaning out tank too as it will clogg filters and destroy pump and injectors. I fill up a stations holding an old white t shirt cloth over nozzle of pump, its surprising sometimes! 

after replacing the prefilter and pump with a Senator B/3.0 CNE one here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333573631081

fuel pressure has been restored to fuel rail, but now she wont start. looks like the coil is at fault as the spark from number 1 plug lead is very weak so I orrdered one from edelschmiede.com; at just under £90 delivered to the London area, its expensive, and I consequently found the same one on Ebay for £51! I wasnt best pleased-the moral learned: always check Ebay/elsewhere before orderding from edelschmiede.com.