how the hell do i get the doors off

stumpy

you will need to purchase ,borrow or fabricate a tool to knock the hinge pins out. top one down and bottom one upwards. they tend to be rusted in and can be very tight, wd before hand often helps.

if your doors are not useable then you could always saw the door part of the hinge off first .

the official gm tool is a cable type ,never had or tried one so cant comment but i use a rod which treads through the pin with a screw on cap . you then use a forked / slotted end bar and hammer to knock them out. 

have a look on google images or youtube for some examples. 

cheers hope this helps.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stumpy said:

having some issues getting the rotten doors off my coupe in order to sort the A post

You want something like this..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Laser-Tools-2133-Door-Hinge-Pin-Extractor-Kit-4pc-/271233691314?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c10

Loads of different makes and types. I'm not recommending this one, it was just the first one that came up.

The hinges are easy to take out if you take your time.

For the bottom hinge put the tool in place and rest the bar on an axle stand halfway down. Now you can hit the end with a lump hammer.

For the top one do the same again but this time rest the end of the bar on a stand. Hit it closer to the pin this time with a lump hammer.

Just be sure to use the right diameter pin.

• Like 1

right ok thanks lads i will cut the doors then try said tool the bottoms of the door frame and outer skin ae rotted very badly i know you can get a door frame repair but i dont think it comes up very far  or i would repair

20 minutes ago, stumpy said:

right ok thanks lads i will cut the doors then try said tool the bottoms of the door frame and outer skin ae rotted very badly i know you can get a door frame repair but i dont think it comes up very far  or i would repair

If you cut the doors off you probably won't need the tool. You'll be able to get a standard punch in.

It's only thr curvature of the door that stops you using a punch normally.

• Like 1

Put a load of penetrating oil down the hinge pins now and it will soak in and help when you do get the tool and pull the pins out.

They grow in place !

Keep the plastic caps from the pins if you have them.  They save the pins and stop grot getting in.  I always have less hassle when the pins have had the plastic covers in both ends.

• Like 1

If you look about halfway down the first page of my project page you can see the tool I made. 

The bought ones will probably be better but if you want to crack on they are easy to make.  Get some M6 rod or a long bolt. Lock a couple of nuts against each other and put it in a drill chuck and spin it at a decent speed. Use a sharp file to knock the edges off one of the nuts. Down to about 8mm from memory. The bar goes through the centre of the pin. The rounded nut sits on the top of the pin. Then a set of mole grips or similar grab the bar. You can then take your time an tap them out.

Probably depends how rusted the pins are. Mine were pretty clean.

Hope this helps.

K.

I bought a set of long series punches when I swapped my doors over. I was just about able to get the length that I need to drive the pins through enough. From memory they were less than a tenner for a set of 5 or 6 too. 

Of course that sort of thing will also come in handy for other jobs too.

Good luck.