GerryC400

87 Manta GTE Exclusive coupe

Posted (edited)

340B7FF2-30DC-4C0C-A58D-F0EEA96AE827.thumb.jpeg.c20dc8201947c20d51ece4b8530d57f2.jpegFolks,

I have decided to sell my Mantas, this one was in an old topic before, which I went and replied to tonight , and my wife told me that is not the correct thing to do with old topics. Apologys for that . 

New Topic now.

The car is a January 1987 Opel Manta GTE exclusive coupe .

31500 miles from new. Service history and all old MOTs 

Dolphin Grey      I am the second owner , my Father in law was the first. 

Very nice plate to suit the manta D400 Chosen by my father in law  when he bought it.

Condition : is excellent

£20000 

Some of you may remember I made the difficult decesion  to have the paint refreshed on the car back in 2012. The paint had gone flat and there were very minute issues around the car that were annoying, from stone chips on the front 4 slot to slight bush like scratches on the front bumper, the rear bumper had a small blister on it , the rear arches were chipped from the tyres  throwing little stones at the flange facing the tyre. I discussed with the painter what my best options were when he came to the house to look over the car. He felt repairs would be seen and couldnt guarantee a good job. I decided to fully repaint the car to get the best result in original Dolphin Grey.  i consider the car to be original

I am not in a hurry and suspect it may take a while to sell. But I have firmed up in my mind that it is time to sell up, as the cars do not get used , and the guilt of keeping them hidden away .  One person 3 cars all different styles ,which I have enjoyed building and owning for different reasons. Appreciate that the styles of each of the cars is not to every ones taste, but as i have been fortunate enough to have owned 3 coupes , i liked having the different styles,.

So me selling up the cars may well bring 3 new members to a great club.  My white 400r sold last week ,although the car is still in my garage, the v8 is advertised on Facebook market place. Please dont frown that i have not put it here as I am the worlds least technical person in computers , phones and all that stuff. My wife has put the red car up for me on facebook in an account that i apparently have. Its been 25 years of manta ownership and i like to think, in my own way that i have been doing my bit for the mark up here in the north east and north of Scotland, and I am delighted to see so many projects up this way being finished to a high standard. There are roughly 10 -12 cars up this way these days when at one point there were only 3 or 4 of us. I say 25 years of ownership ,but that may be longer , if i dont get a buyer for the cars.  It would be really nice for the cars to be appreciated and seen. 

When I can or someone can , I will see if I can get some  pics of the car, interior and engine bay, i dont believe you would be disappointed  with the condition this car is still in. There have been a few people shown interest in the car , but the price has been a sticking point. Coupes at auction recently have done very well , having more owners and higher miles ,not in exclusive trim . Not having alot to go on to gauge a price except what cars can make at auction and what it would take for me to let it go. 

On the subject of spares , I would say, i have accumulated quite a few, I will sort something out in the coming weeks in terms of a list . I got 1 of the local lads coming to pick some items. 56160DCF-3D25-4656-A25A-41F168E54340.jpeg.b9c331c04804f71f351c4aea0e281607.jpeg741DBB64-165F-40E3-A271-CE93A4ADC441.thumb.jpeg.31b6995683cd883c27e600fe78925970.jpeg

815F6137-B8AD-447F-BE18-C378399EDEB7.thumb.jpeg.f90632619765f63c177add7221986400.jpeg307609DF-0279-4808-A50B-BE4D17813406.jpeg.c777daf1139fc8de1c10a85b7f85a8e4.jpeg

Edited by GerryC400
Trying to get photos
  • Like 1

Good luck with the sale and hope it sells for what you are asking. If you PM me i would be happy to provide an email address for you to send pictures to and i will upload? Also very interested in the spares you may have too.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

83316172-A785-444D-AB45-A3FDCF48C990.thumb.jpeg.9a702cb6b85890e4a80333c09018a02f.jpeg

0D0B64C2-12A6-4BD9-819C-ACDA951D8F4C.thumb.jpeg.94b44d790835f29ecbbe862f02258f56.jpeg

3FB14687-7541-485B-B1C6-889C26AAAA57.thumb.jpeg.e736f36c53141cd5d953ebb2b0b49595.jpeg

DCFE9AA9-A68B-4513-9E30-24792BE3FB83.thumb.jpeg.bf7be4c5f9dda11bff16367db915e626.jpeg

36137AD9-0B4E-4EF3-84FE-848C585E0172.thumb.jpeg.d894c0b24d2f657562e8e10cd8fe1637.jpeg

Edited by Mike.
  • Like 6

Still my favourite colour, good luck with the sale.

Here's the ad from Facebook for the V8 Mantzel kitted Coupe and a few additional photos.

V8 Manta 2.jpg

V8 Manta 6.jpg

V8 Manta 5.jpg

V8 Manta 4.jpg

V8 Manta 3.jpg

V8 Manta 1.jpg

• Like 2

i love that and a bit different to the 400 kitted cars  same body kit as the mega manta isnt it ? is this mantzel kit available

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I appreciate its not every ones taste, but the interest its getting on facebook is alot. Seems to be a couple of people getting serious, time will tell. Thanks for putting it on here.👍 Maybe , I should put up another add......

I spoke with a body shop guy in Edinburgh when i had just got the kit second hand. To buy a new kit then was a special order £3500 , then you have the fun of getting wheels and boots to fill those arches ££££. To build one of these today would probably be so expensive , the engine was £2500 to rebuild. Fortunately i bought it from a member here , i think it was Paul from Penzance , into his v8 mantas.  Shug from this end of the country and Paul met up at Billing show , and between them got it to me here in Aberdeen. Always thought that was a great effort to get me the engine and how the club spirit came through. Then there is all the work and parts to get. Side pipes came from america as did the scoop, Holley and manifold also expensive . I just took my time and bought stuff as I could afford it ...........

Edited by GerryC400
  • Like 3

It is definitely built with affection. Might not be to everyone’s taste, but I bet it ticks more boxes for those that absolutely love it, than opposite.

Shell looks solid for its age, and I love you kept the 2slot front panel with original Opel badges😁

what are gauges on engine for? 

The gauges in the bay was something i took from along time ago. When i served my time the guys i worked with mounted gauges in the bay and i fancied the same . This was in south of ireland in the early eighties. What the gauges are actually handy for is tuning the engine , setting the revs etc It always has people wondering 😃 a bit of a novelty factor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That is Cool Gerry, I guessed along those lines, but great to get the proper explanation 👍

I very much enjoyed the building of this car , no definite plan to start with just the notion of a 70 s custom and I love V8s or VEE ATE s😁  the side pipes and scoop were what we all see on AC cobras or Corvettes , went for a more out rageous look. It gets some strange looks when it's out some approvingly and some not so. I stopped short of bagging it. I had put afair bit of money into it when I stopped .   Very much a fun car , and always looking for reasons to change years when going past walls or underpasses. The bullit in me comes out , even as an old fart 😁😁😁😁

• Like 2

Deposit taken for the v8 today ........ going to quite a car guy and staying in Scotland . i hope you guys and gals see more of the car in the future.

• Like 7

That V8 looks a proper beast! 

I just took her up the road for a little blast , it is such a good sound....................  I will miss that for sure.

• Like 3

Congrats on the quick sale...not all kitted V8's sell that quickly!

On 28/06/2020 at 18:47, GerryC400 said:

I just took her up the road for a little blast , it is such a good sound....................  I will miss that for sure.

Are you sure it's wise selling the Exclusive now that the other 2 have gone? I'm not sure I would as once it's gone, its gone.

Then again, I'm sure the £20K would be useful! 

Posted (edited)

Fair point , to be honest ,I have been giving that some thought. My reason for selling is 100 % , the cars dont go out of my drive whether its 1 or 3 cars,  i agree that if this car sells I wont be able to replace it. When is the right time? is the question to myself, the answer could be when the market dictates , or when I feel its time.

I feel its time and the market seems to be good as it happens. I am selling to free myself of the guilt of not using them as much as i should. I feel its like a sportsman who wants to retire on a positive, i have had a great lot of fun with all the cars over the years, met some lovely people at all sorts of events , filling stations , out on the road being videoed by total strangers driving a manta. Done the news paper articles and probably well know in this part of the world as a Manta man.

The money is the money, we all could drink or smoke the price of a manta, but I dont smoke but enjoy the odd beer. I am just a guy who works in a workshop and skrimped and saved to do what I have done with the cars. The price is what it is for a reason , truthfully a car like this should not be modified or messed with . Not saying its wrong to modify a manta, just saying this one is a survivor and now she needs to be kept that way. If i sell it cheap someone might just go ahead and modify it as its a sound car to do that. If someone has had to spend serious money on it ..... they may not be so willing to do that. I appreciate this is not to every body thinking, but its where I am. I am glad you asked the question to be honest. It looks like i am loosing my marbles selling up, but as some other people have said , one day all of us will have to pass on our treasures. I would like to see the new owner out driving it on the road and end up chatting to him or her about the car without  the guilt. 

The money is always handy but its not life changing. The money would have been alot handier when i was alot younger. I want this car to end up with an enthusiast who will show it more than i did and still look after it.  100% i will be sad to close the manta chapter , but it wont change the memories or the long winded stories about the car. I can look forward to me boring manta owners in the future.........oh many years ago i had 3 different Mantas blah blah lol. 

As it stands the car is still not sold and may not sell, in which case my guilt wont bother me , the car goes back into the garage and time will pass.................will see what the future brings.

Edited by GerryC400
  • Like 5

The price is bang on mate. Was a member for a few years in the early 90s . Very few left especially in that condition. I enjoyed all mine. Still miss my 88 casablanca exclusive coupe. Was told only 1200 coupes in gb. My uncle had a 86 dolphin grey and a 89 f starmist black . They were always overlooked due to the ford following.  Hope it goes to a good home. 

• Like 1