Jump to content
BushyFox

Hello, from Surrey. MK1 Cavalier project

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone. Decided to join as a lot of the info I have used so far on my project has come from here so be rude not to. I am sure I will be asking lots of questions in the future. Lots of pics going up on my insta too @ryanwakely89 

Cheers :)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Ryan,

A warm welcome to the club!

Looking forward to seeing some photos of your Cavalier.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome indeed, I'm sure whatever you ask one of the Anoraks on here will be able to help.....🤣

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Ryan, welcom. Just fire away, we all are waiting for the pics of your Cav.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I’m a bit of a technophobe and I can’t work out how to upload pictures but I am trying 

Hopefully you can see the picture. I’m terrible with computers.Photo by Ryan Wakely on June 27, 2020. Image may contain: car

 

 

Edited by BushyFox
Worked out how to add pics
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice indeed - love the wheels   :thumbup

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the Alfa guillia, the Jag, The Landy... Even the Mk2😁

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As for my first question. I have a GETRAG 240 gearbox from a Manta ready to be bolted up to a C20XE as I know it’s a relatively simple conversion. However I’ve read some horror stories that that gearbox is not very good and can’t handle an XE (I plan on taking the engine to around 180bhp) Is there any truth to this or is there another gearbox that can be used which is just as simple that is reliable? I searched the forum and discovered the omega box but it’s HUGE! I do not want to use a type 9 and I don’t fancy cutting much tunnel up if I don’t have to.

cheers :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BushyFox said:

As for my first question. I have a GETRAG 240 gearbox from a Manta ready to be bolted up to a C20XE as I know it’s a relatively simple conversion. However I’ve read some horror stories that that gearbox is not very good and can’t handle an XE (I plan on taking the engine to around 180bhp) Is there any truth to this or is there another gearbox that can be used which is just as simple that is reliable? I searched the forum and discovered the omega box but it’s HUGE! I do not want to use a type 9 and I don’t fancy cutting much tunnel up if I don’t have to.

cheers :) 

No personal experience of big power but having read a lot & lurked for years before buying a Manta, the impression I have is that gearbox issues are more to do with putting in oil rather than the proper fluid. 
If you are semi mad & drive it like a drag racer every day you might ruin the selector. 
The torque tube & diff are much more likely to let go and that seems to be nearer the 200bhp mark.

BMW 2002’s & E30’s such as the 320i have Getrag 240’s, many an engine swap has been done without swapping boxes...
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, BushyFox said:

As for my first question. I have a GETRAG 240 gearbox from a Manta ready to be bolted up to a C20XE as I know it’s a relatively simple conversion. However I’ve read some horror stories that that gearbox is not very good and can’t handle an XE (I plan on taking the engine to around 180bhp) Is there any truth to this or is there another gearbox that can be used which is just as simple that is reliable? I searched the forum and discovered the omega box but it’s HUGE! I do not want to use a type 9 and I don’t fancy cutting much tunnel up if I don’t have to.

cheers :) 

It will be fine for that power ‘if’ it’s a good box and serviced. It’s the torque that kills them rather then bhp. The R28 box is still a getrag internals, based on a R25 (250) so a slight upgrade Over std manta getrag 240, the Genuine R28 (280) box had peened internals To upgrade it.

. But essentially the R25 is still a Getrag240 in a GM case (side note; cases are Marked R25-28 as they can be for either, it’s the serial number that dictates if it’s the strongest variant).

Also, type9 is no stronger ‘stock’ and by some consideration weaker than a Getrag240. Unless you spend a shed of money on after marker parts. T5 would be ok, but so would the Getrag265 as fitted to Jags, Monza and BMW, said is good for over 400bhp.

last option for XE, is Mazda RX8 gearbox. 5speed is the strongest option, and adapter plates are easily found. There is a lever of modifications required. There is some measurements and general information about this option in one of my project threads.

 

SHORT ANSWER

GETRAG240 is good for a c20XE N/A engine for up to a shade over 200bhp guise. The rear axle torque tube shaft will be weak point Over 200bhp, but you can get upgrades off eBay on exchange basis that say are good for 300. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OPEL-CIH-verstärkte-Deichselwelle-Hinterachse-Ascona-Manta-A-B-Kadett-C-GT-1000/283463128403

Edited by Jessopia74

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jessopia74 said:

It will be fine for that power ‘if’ it’s a good box and serviced. It’s the torque that kills them rather then bhp. The R28 box is still a getrag internals, based on a R25 (250) so a slight upgrade Over std manta getrag 240, the Genuine R28 (280) box had peened internals To upgrade it.

. But essentially the R25 is still a Getrag240 in a GM case (side note; cases are Marked R25-28 as they can be for either, it’s the serial number that dictates if it’s the strongest variant).

Also, type9 is no stronger ‘stock’ and by some consideration weaker than a Getrag240. Unless you spend a shed of money on after marker parts. T5 would be ok, but so would the Getrag265 as fitted to Jags, Monza and BMW, said is good for over 400bhp.

last option for XE, is Mazda RX8 gearbox. 5speed is the strongest option, and adapter plates are easily found. There is a lever of modifications required. There is some measurements and general information about this option in one of my project threads.

 

SHORT ANSWER

GETRAG240 is good for a c20XE N/A engine for up to a shade over 200bhp guise. The rear axle torque tube shaft will be weak point Over 200bhp, but you can get upgrades off eBay on exchange basis that say are good for 300. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OPEL-CIH-verstärkte-Deichselwelle-Hinterachse-Ascona-Manta-A-B-Kadett-C-GT-1000/283463128403

Wow! Thank you so much for this information, extremely helpful. I think I’ll just stick with the 240 that I have then as I’m not going silly power. If it does break then luckily they seem to be quite readily available and cheap too. I’m not building a race car (already got a clio track car) just something that’s good fun on the weekend without chopping the car up too much. 
 

Thanks again I appreciate it

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep running 1.8 boxes on slightly modded xes for years, plently of fun! And no trouble, very important to run GM oil, red stuff! MANTAMAN would be proud of me! 

Are you planning on standard injection, carbs or bodies! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ®evo03 said:

Yep running 1.8 boxes on slightly modded xes for years, plently of fun! And no trouble, very important to run GM oil, red stuff! MANTAMAN would be proud of me! 

Are you planning on standard injection, carbs or bodies! 

Yes I’m planning on using throttle bodies. OMEX make a mappable bolt on kit which I’m considering. 
 

have you by any chance got a link to the correct GM oil for the getrag 240?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hi and welcome to the club. 

Link to old post with relevant info

 

Link to gearbox oil on eBay 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l2632.R2.TR3.TRC2.A0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=93165290&_sacat=179487

 

still available from Vauxhall dealers and may be cheaper if they will accept club discount

Edited by Mickfrad
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...