Frontera 2.4 rubber rocker gasket on manta b

hoobby

Was recommended using this but can't see how it's ever going to fit due it's profile am I supposed to trim the lips off the gasket to make it flat or use a Frontera rocker cover or is this the wrong gasket?.

IMG_20200702_153839.thumb.jpg.97f24c4873f82bef76e7cc457fd86be0.jpg

Well found out supposed to use the Frontera cover so wasn't worth sending back so thought I'd make it fit 

IMG_20200702_160645.thumb.jpg.7c0d422293220dcc8d2408c1a5d60eff.jpg

1 pair of sharp scissors and a cup of tea latter and no idea if it's going to work as may not be thick enough.

IMG_20200702_172534.thumb.jpg.77a61477de997eb4c25d844c9fd297b0.jpg

Edited by hoobby

The alloy ones (frontera or GT) sit in the gasket,  so it lips around it (i still had to trip a small part on the GT one but you wont on the frontera cover)

See pic:

Where as the tin ones normally sit over the cork one. They seal pretty good on the alloy one even if you didnt have the lip so the tin one should be ok if its nice and flat. Just dont tighten down too tight that it pulls it out of shape.

Had no leaks since i used these gaskets.

Andy

Screenshot 2020-07-02 22.04.42.png

16 hours ago, 611 said:

The alloy ones (frontera or GT) sit in the gasket,  so it lips around it (i still had to trip a small part on the GT one but you wont on the frontera cover)

See pic:

Where as the tin ones normally sit over the cork one. They seal pretty good on the alloy one even if you didnt have the lip so the tin one should be ok if its nice and flat. Just dont tighten down too tight that it pulls it out of shape.

Had no leaks since i used these gaskets.

Andy

Screenshot 2020-07-02 22.04.42.png

My plan is to use sealant between the cover and gasket then fit but sure I've come across something like this before where a rubber gasket was available as straight swap (latter model has alloy cover) but problem is rubber is less compressible than cork

The tin cover will crush down into the cork where as the rubber one will distort the cover at the bolts and spreaders  before you can get a good seal on the runs in-between. 

Have ordered a new cork gasket just in case

Will get back with the result but may be a week or two (bloody DIY ! :angry:)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hoobby said:

My plan is to use sealant between the cover and gasket then fit but sure I've come across something like this before where a rubber gasket was available as straight swap (latter model has alloy cover) but problem is rubber is less compressible than cork

The tin cover will crush down into the cork where as the rubber one will distort the cover at the bolts and spreaders  before you can get a good seal on the runs in-between. 

Have ordered a new cork gasket just in case

Will get back with the result but may be a week or two (bloody DIY ! :angry:)

I only ever used cork gaskets and never had any leaks, but I always used Red hylomar semi setting sealer with them and made sure I set the bolt torque( you need the screwdriver version) was even and had the spreader plates.

never had any issues with the cork on the tin ones but could never get the GT one to seal on the cork, but spot on with the rubber one. Tin one might be fine wit a bit of sealer as you say.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
20 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

Good outcome, and upgrade, rubber it is!

Could you edge be cut of original manta cover? Leave it a perfect fit. 

I did think about cutting the edge off the cover but thought it would make the cover less ridged and encourage leaks besides the surface that would be left is too wide to take the gasket I suppose more cutting but then would make it even less ridged.

IMG_20200702_172534.thumb.jpg.77a61477de997eb4c25d844c9fd297b0.jpg.83cb19b845d438a316f7bcb68ca8bea7.jpg

• Thanks 1

Rubber it isnt ! THANKS!  It would be great of someone produced a rubber from cork gasket dimensions, suppose with 3 or 4mm rubber, a rocker cover, sharp blade, straight edge, it could be DIY.  Btw i dont have rocker cover issues, just interested in better ways of doing things. 

Edited by ®evo03