Getrag help

BEEDZ

40 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

If it’s a getrag240 it’s just a push on prop (spring inside) over the gearbox output.

if it’s got a flanged drive and a nut, then it might be a getrag, but it’s not a manta box AFAIK.

It’s not got a nut hoping just pushed on spline

18 minutes ago, H-400 said:

Did this Getrag fit bolt on, on a CIH engine or a 1.8 ohv engine? If the flange comes of, you got to see this:

LMwGILO.jpg

It’s for a cih came with a gte engine 

thats what I’m hoping 

going to have a go tomorrow 

I didn’t notice it before just getting ready to fit it

This is a similar  set up to the Monza 265 box I have fitted. The flange can be removed and used with a Manta prop. If the box is from a Carlton, the gear lever position may be different to the Manta one...I don't recall seeing a weld bead on the extension plate?

• Thanks 1

I'v got a Getrag 240 off a Monza, the plate and horizontal lever is some cm's longer. The Manta prop fitted without any problem, if I look at the pic of Beedz I can see a weld bead  and the gearstick holder (how do I name it in English?) is screwed on the plate while original it is spotwelded. So somethings are already changed to fit in a Manta.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, H-400 said:

I'v got a Getrag 240 of a Monza, the plate and horizontal lever is some cm's longer. The Manta prop fitted without any problem, if I look at the pic of Beedz I can see a weld bead 

and the gearstick holder (how do I name it in English?) is screwed on the plate while original it is spotwelded. So somethings are already changed to fit in a Manta.

I’ve got a new bracket for the box and was going to alter the tunnel but found this

Don’t know if anyone has done this on a Manta before? It’s off the Gt forum

C8167285-0DE6-4A69-8E6B-7324E913404E.jpeg

• Like 1

This is done to keep the gearstick on its original position, so the looks of the car stays the same as factory made if you use again the 4-speed gearstick. And ofcourse you don't have to change the centre console. 

7 hours ago, BEEDZ said:

I’ve got a new bracket for the box and was going to alter the tunnel but found this

Don’t know if anyone has done this on a Manta before? It’s off the Gt forum

C8167285-0DE6-4A69-8E6B-7324E913404E.jpeg

Yep, did it to my Getrag so the gearstick is in the correct place for the A series console. You also need to shortedn the selector rod.

spacer.png

IMG_20190430_1913031.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, 611 said:

Yep, did it to my Getrag so the gearstick is in the correct place for the A series console. You also need to shortedn the selector rod.

spacer.png

IMG_20190430_1913031.jpg

That’s great thanks 611

Has everything been ok with gear selection?

did you use a shorter gear stick or the original ?

The flange will pull straight out. The carlton 6 cylinder had a flange in their boxes along with a 2 piece propshaft manta didn't. But by the looks of the modified gear lever bracket someone has fitted that gearbox to a different setup somewhere along its life.

• Thanks 1

I did briefly come across some problem before, give somepne a whole selector bracket to fit to a GTE, it was different to his, something tells me it was the length of the bracket or selector pin connector.

Didn't see it myself but guy said it didnt fit, think i pulled it of a 1.8 box, wonder if the box was a carlton? Are boxes identical?

I can see the weld in Beedz's bracket, but the one i had was not welded, or hidden very well! 

2 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

I did briefly come across some problem before, give somepne a whole selector bracket to fit to a GTE, it was different to his, something tells me it was the length of the bracket or selector pin connector.

Didn't see it myself but guy said it didnt fit, think i pulled it of a 1.8 box, wonder if the box was a carlton? Are boxes identical?

I can see the weld in Beedz's bracket, but the one i had was not welded, or hidden very well! 

My 1800 carlton has exactly the same gearbox and selector as the 1800 manta. Not sure if the CIH engine cars were different.

12 hours ago, BEEDZ said:

That’s great thanks 611

Has everything been ok with gear selection?

did you use a shorter gear stick or the original ?

All been spot on. Much quicker shift as well 🙂 

As mine is an A series i used the bottom part of the original shifter, cut it off and grafted on the top half of the standard A series stick (obviously loosing the reverse pull wire) so it fits and looks just as it did with the old 4 speed in. Got a 5 speed  knob from Opel GT source in the US so it looks original but had the correct selector pattern on. 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...