4 hours ago, Buz said:

I have a 2.4 frontera engine 👍.  Going to rebore it , new pistons and rods and the 16v top end . Simples 😂

The only part I am unsure of is the crank. Obviously with forged pistons and rods it can rev higher but I don’t know if the crank needs to be changed / uprated 

There was a guy in Sweden iirc selling a forged crank, it was very cheap like €10k 🤯
what about the Diesel crank?

Personally as your not going to turbo, a good balanced bottom end (matched rod weights etc) and Nitriding would be my choice

Edited by Jessopia74
iPad return for new line is fubar
9 hours ago, 611 said:

What pistons are you going to go with?

I haven’t really done much research into pistons and rods , cams etc. I’ve read articles with lots  of manufacturers recommended.  With regards to pistons , wossner and omega seem popular choices

9 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

There was a guy in Sweden iirc selling a forged crank, it was very cheap like €10k 🤯
what about the Diesel crank?

Personally as your not going to turbo, a good balanced bottom end (matched rod weights etc) and Nitriding would be my choice

As long as the standard crank is capable of revving to 6000rpm safely then I think that’s realistically where I’m at. I’m not building a race car. More of a real world fantasy . I could strip the bottom end and find that the bores are perfect and don’t need touching but at 100k I doubt it so if I have to rebore it then I have to get new pistons , so I might as well spend a bit more on decent forged pistons and then maybe rods too but I also have to keep the budget real world too and not fantasy. I know the 16v cih is a more expensive route but i feel it keeps the heart of the car the same 

On 29/08/2020 at 21:49, 611 said:

If your going to that much effort on the engine you have to go throttle bodies and Omex 600 🙂

spacer.png

Maybe these are the answer 

55C0460B-4746-4732-8324-2304F585294E.jpeg

8BFF1DB7-9CCD-4AD5-8C90-5F4056E6F16F.jpeg

6 hours ago, Buz said:

As long as the standard crank is capable of revving to 6000rpm safely then I think that’s realistically where I’m at. I’m not building a race car. More of a real world fantasy . I could strip the bottom end and find that the bores are perfect and don’t need touching but at 100k I doubt it so if I have to rebore it then I have to get new pistons , so I might as well spend a bit more on decent forged pistons and then maybe rods too but I also have to keep the budget real world too and not fantasy. I know the 16v cih is a more expensive route but i feel it keeps the heart of the car the same 

As I said, your key here is not what we perceive as (Tensile) strength of the crank as such, but the twisting action at higher rpm. This lack of ductile strength is what will kill a crank n/a engine. 

Absolute minimum is balance of bottom end, as your rods/pistons will no longer be matched to the counter weights. Lowering the rotational mass is a good thing, but making sure it's all static/dynamically balanced will really help you here.

a lot you can do yourself anyway, matching piston weight to rod weight, so that they are all equal. Or the best is to match all rods so they are exactly the same on big ends when supported at little end, then match with pistons.

Then send with Flywheel, pulley and crank to all be balanced. If you build the top end properly, you can be looking at a bottomless end that you can push the red line to 7.5K 😎 

• Thanks 1
13 hours ago, Buz said:

55C0460B-4746-4732-8324-2304F585294E.jpeg

8BFF1DB7-9CCD-4AD5-8C90-5F4056E6F16F.jpeg

They look interesting. What sort of cost for those??