Drivers Wing mirror adjustment

hoobby

3 hours ago, Exclusive Opel said:

It should do. They can get a bit gummed with old grease in the mechanism. They are fairly simple to strip and clean but there a lot more parts in them than you think!

Ok cheers for that will take it apart at the weekend can only rock the handle a little any more than that it feels solid if any real pressure is put on it not going to force it.

Edited by hoobby

Can be removed in situ. You need to remove the knob from inside the car first. Use a hooked tool to pop of the cover and inside you will see four 'tangs" holding the knob on to the square shaft which clip in to a groove. You need to just very slightly bend these back to release the knob and it should easily pull off. They are plastic and break easily. Maybe something like a plastic sraw might work here, haven't tried that. More fidely than anything. Then it's just a case of removing the three screws from triangular part and it should all pull out from the out side.

It's good to see the the plastic cap covering the screw and spring still there. Less likely to be rusty and can be a buggar to remove if they are!

Good luck! It's more complex in there than you would imagine. There are gears!

I've got stuck getting the door card out Haynes says it's integral (coupe) but door card is holding at this point sorry it's been over 20 years since I've removed one on a manta I cannot work out how to get it out.

IMG_20200728_181912.thumb.jpg.99acc13e17379a999caddb82231ef28b.jpg

2 hours ago, hoobby said:

I've got stuck getting the door card out Haynes says it's integral (coupe) but door card is holding at this point sorry it's been over 20 years since I've removed one on a manta I cannot work out how to get it out.

IMG_20200728_181912.thumb.jpg.99acc13e17379a999caddb82231ef28b.jpg

You just have to pull it off unfortunately, the trim around the door handle, not the door card.

Edited by Snowy
  • Like 2

All done mirror now moves smoothly in all directions not over complicated in there two small gears to drop and lose but all went well again thanks for the help now gives me the chance to grease up the rusty door release mechanism creak creak creak :angry:.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hoobby said:

All done mirror now moves smoothly in all directions not over complicated in there two small gears to drop and lose but all went well again thanks for the help now gives me the chance to grease up the rusty door release mechanism creak creak creak :angry:.

Was it just crud in there mate?

the pivot for in out had no grease at all had to lever it off with a screwdriver to remove it  i guess missed during assemble a little water had got in there and corroded the pivot. 

• Like 1