Does my starter motor need a strip down?

IanMc

Dear All,

I have noticed that after a period of inactivity, weeks or months normally, when I turn the key I get absolutely nothing and the voltmeter dips to around 9-10V. If the volt meter did nothing, I would be going straight to the ignition switch and looking for dodgy contacts, but my thinking is that this is probably OK.

Sometimes even hitting the starter with a soft mallet doesn't help - although thinking about it, I don't think I was striking the solenoid on top...

However, eventually and generally with a booster pack attached, she will turn over and fire up.

The volt meter on the dash shows enough volts to turn it over when I start, but perhaps the battery might be suspect itself, or as well as the starter?

If I start it up a few times over a weekend, it seems to turn over every time without any problems - it's just when its been sitting around. I am wondering if perhaps the starter motor needs to come out, have a strip down and a good clean up all over (including the terminals). Perhaps the solenoid is sticking? Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks as always.

1 hour ago, IanMc said:

Dear All,

I have noticed that after a period of inactivity, weeks or months normally, when I turn the key I get absolutely nothing and the voltmeter dips to around 9-10V. If the volt meter did nothing, I would be going straight to the ignition switch and looking for dodgy contacts, but my thinking is that this is probably OK.

Sometimes even hitting the starter with a soft mallet doesn't help - although thinking about it, I don't think I was striking the solenoid on top...

However, eventually and generally with a booster pack attached, she will turn over and fire up.

The volt meter on the dash shows enough volts to turn it over when I start, but perhaps the battery might be suspect itself, or as well as the starter?

If I start it up a few times over a weekend, it seems to turn over every time without any problems - it's just when its been sitting around. I am wondering if perhaps the starter motor needs to come out, have a strip down and a good clean up all over (including the terminals). Perhaps the solenoid is sticking? Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks as always.

Hi Ian after standing for weeks if your not charging the battery before starting as above this would be the issue if you are charging before starting and need a booster your overcoming a bad connection with a higher input check battery cables and earths and strip and clean starter it probably could do with a clean out anyway as has stood for many years.

• Like 1

Hi ian, all the above advice is spot on .

a car like ours with very minimal electrical items(assuming yours has no alarm ?) should have no issues with a good battery being connected up for a few months. My modern car (omega) with much more electronics can sit for 2 months easily without touching and still be ok, 

if you need a battery then although ours were fitted with a 063 size originally they will fit a 075 or even a 100 size (not096)which is a great upgrade and helps considerably especially in winter.

we know your alternator is ok now as you did that a while back but I assume the voltmeter is showing a good charge voltage and has no other issues.

if you fancy a starter motor overhaul then that's entirely diy doable and can guide you through it if needs be.

always worth checking main engine earth strap and the crimping on the lugs on the starter motor leads.cleanliness,tightness etc.

a drop to 10v without anything happening(even a solenoid click) does suggest a bad connection somewhere,you would only expect a drop to around 10v when the starter is actually turning normally.

12v approx static and 14v approx running.

Morning all,

Sincere thanks for all your help, advice and suggestions - it is greatly appreciated.

An update from this morning:

Static battery charge (shown on the car voltmeter), was a tad over 12V

Running charge: 14V

Wishing to start with the easy and cheap things first, I thought I would clean all terminals and connections. We started with this:

g3eguFd.jpg

And now we have this:

wJqN3Kh.jpg

All of the electrical connections and associated components were thoroughly cleaned with a cloth, then brake cleaner, then finally emery paper to take them back to clean, shiny metal. Naturally I did try to start it and it was absolutely fine, no lag at all. Time will tell I guess, but I do tend to think that the battery is the main suspect at this point.

I will keep you updated.