2 door ascona 400r build

ANDY ABBOTT

Good Luck, in the salvage of this project, I take it you will need to make a full body jig before removing any metal (that is left)?

Manta/Ascona shells were fully recyclable well before it became a trend in modern cars. :wacko:

On 24/08/2020 at 09:56, robah said:

Good Luck, in the salvage of this project, I take it you will need to make a full body jig before removing any metal (that is left)?

Manta/Ascona shells were fully recyclable well before it became a trend in modern cars. :wacko:

Yes I have a jig already made up to put in place of the front crossmember to keep the fixing bolt locations. I'll also be framing up the shell before it goes on the spit 

Edited by ANDY ABBOTT
  • Like 1

Now at home and ready to be fully stripped to go on the spit. But first I'll have to weld in some braces as it's seriously in a bad way. Can it even be done ? I've got to admit, this one scares me but I do like a challenge and give me that extra motivation to make it happen. 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 4

The challenge is a fight or flight moment, it starts the adrenaline rush and attacks our emotions, this is when you know your true self.

This is why this forum has become more special to us as members, as this chassis was definitely made to keep the heart pumping and the mind wondering, on how far we would go as a community to save such vehicles. The names may change over the years but the desire stays with the community, as the knowledge is generously past down through the decades.

I do have some documentation on the full factory setup of the Opel Ascona Rally car with pictures if you are interested? PM me for details.

• Like 1

On 30/08/2020 at 11:19, robah said:

The challenge is a fight or flight moment, it starts the adrenaline rush and attacks our emotions, this is when you know your true self.

This is why this forum has become more special to us as members, as this chassis was definitely made to keep the heart pumping and the mind wondering, on how far we would go as a community to save such vehicles. The names may change over the years but the desire stays with the community, as the knowledge is generously past down through the decades.

I do have some documentation on the full factory setup of the Opel Ascona Rally car with pictures if you are interested? PM me for details.

Is it pictures of this car you have ? It are you referring to a 400 ? Cheers 

Bit done today. Got a bit of a frame made up to support it when on the spit but I've a bit more to add on to this test. I managed to remove the old rear panel, fit the replacement one and started on some boot floor repairs. I've sourced a full manta floor pan thanks to dan and carl, so I can remove the sections I need for this one. It's always good to use one car to save another. 

• Like 4