GTE - Manta Wanted

Sfv82

I'm a new member - for the last 19 years I've owned D234 BNV - an exclusive coupe. 3 weeks ago a speeding van driver on his mobile ploughed into the back of me and wrote off my car. I believe it to be repairable but, as I can't do my own repairs, not by me. Depending on how cooperative my insurance company is I may be able to put it up for sale at a later date. I'm now after a replacement Manta. Need's to be a GTE and would prefer a coupe, but judging by recent prices it might have to be a hatch! My price range is £3-5K and preferably within a days driving distance of Oxfordshire. Any suggestions?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

You might need to bump that budget for a coupe mate. 5K might get you a hatch, or a project coupe, but as you say you are not in a position for repairs that may not be the best option.

Looking at your car as it was, think you need to be thinking in the £8k+ region to replace it 🤔

Sorry to hear  about your Manta, do you have any pictures of how bad the damage is? I'm sure some on here can advise if it is repairable and what would be needed.

There is also a nice gold hatch on Ebay which does need work in the usual places but would be really nice finished. 

Edited by TheRealExile

20 hours ago, Monaco Blue said:

Was he not asking circa £7500 for it a couple of months back. 

I don’t remember exactly but he’s definitely come down quite a bit.
It’s got decent recent history that can be seen in threads on here & seems to require  very little serious work so C5k feels like a good deal  🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

I have 2/3rds of a car left!

Left rear qtr after accident.JPG

Right rear quarter.JPG

Smashed rear end of my car.jpg

On 27/08/2020 at 18:36, Trooker said:

This is on the road & appears to need nothing major

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283971375314

Was going to go after that one but looks like I've just missed it. My budget currently is what the insurance pays me which should come next week and what I can get for the (non broken) parts of my car.

• Sad 3

That’s heartbreaking. On the positive side  , there’s still plenty of value in parts if you were to break it, got to be at least 2 1/2 to 3 thousand if you’re prepared to work at it and wait

8 minutes ago, TheRealExile said:

That must have been quite an impact did all walk away unharmed? 

Terry, you are far better human than I , all I saw was the damaged manta.  I need to look at myself in the mirror 🥴

43 minutes ago, TheRealExile said:

That must have been quite an impact did all walk away unharmed? 

I have got bad whiplash symptoms. Reckon the van driver (completely unharmed) was doing about 60mph (in a 40mph zone) when he hit! At least he managed to brake from 80!

The back 6" of the boot is folded down. The rear right pillar is bent and pushed upwards a couple of mm. Needs a new boot floor, replacement rear panel, replacement lhs rear qtr. RHS rear qtr might be repairable, replacement boot lid, spoiler possibly repairable, bumper amazingly survived largely undamaged! New lights and fittings.

Edited by Sfv82

I would like to think you will get fair market value for your manta from your insurance company in-line with recent sales values which have been rising steadily. Yours looks to have been in first class condition, every manta owners worst nightmare, glad to hear you are ok.

• Like 1

Is indeed the worst nightmare that can happen. And the car looks so fine for the rest. Remember the spring of '19 in Holland, two Ascona's of our club (400Club) had the same accident. Damage was not so bad as yours Brian but almost. The back of a Manta/Ascona is very fragile; the owner of the Ascona-400 saw the damage and had to lay down...

First thing I did when I was back home with my "400" was making a new value rapport. 

Think your Manta is technical repairable, but first you got to pull the back of the car again out (in a workshop) before cutting pieces off. The financial/insurance side is something else. I wish you the best.

• Like 1

On 29/08/2020 at 23:04, Mike. said:

I would like to think you will get fair market value for your manta from your insurance company in-line with recent sales values which have been rising steadily. Yours looks to have been in first class condition, every manta owners worst nightmare, glad to hear you are ok.

Indeed, I would be challenging anything less than £6k

On 29/08/2020 at 22:04, Danny D114BCW said:

I am starting to reconsider and think I would be fixing that after seeing different angle pictures. Any pictures of inside the boot and underneath? 

Thinking the same thing Danny, would send it to be pulled as far it can before chopping the panels. Definitely could be saved

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...