Jump to content

400R build.


Bonga
 Share

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

Joining the poly disc club, got two cars to strip of original paint. 

Q? Is there any other shapes available, for a drill, as hard to access some corner areas with a flat disc. 

Sort of, not sure about drill, but I gave a pad kit fir a die grinder and my 99deg mini grinder, but after that not sure. Local sand blaster I guess is going to be the best way if you have a tight corner you want to get into.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

Joining the poly disc club, got two cars to strip of original paint. 

Q? Is there any other shapes available, for a drill, as hard to access some corner areas with a flat disc. 

Yes you can get drum ones with a shaft to go into drills etc

like this https://www.frost.co.uk/shaft-mounted-strip-disc/

once they were down a bit they are really useful for the little nooks and crannies

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

No updated for a while but I've been getting stuff done.

Got the front end stripped and painted. I used bonda primer as on it 1st. It's a epoxy based paint with added zinc but doesn't use an activator so there's no waste if you put too much in the gun. You can also paint it with a bush, Ideal for inner sills etc. Sounds like decent stuff and it sprayed on easy.

Next I coated it with 2 part high build primer then knocked it back with a block and some 120 or 180 grit wet n dry.

I decided to got for polar white 2 pack paint. The spaying didn't go as well as I'd hoped. I did have an orange peel effect (I am a beginner). After some research and some messing around it looks like the air pressure was too low. I knocked it back with 1500 then polished it and it looks decent now 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

I made a start with the passenger side sill area. I did the inner part from the rear seat area.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

It's nice to compare this are to what I started with

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 22/04/2021 at 00:21, H-400 said:

Nice work . It's for sure a B1, it has got those two grilles (left & right) in front of the windshield. Keep up the good work👍

Thanks guys. Its an early cavalier MK1 shell. I think it's pre 1980. I just changed the nosecone over as I prefer the manta look and the nosecone was rotten anyway. Side project happening just now with a wee mx5 I use for autotesting is taking my time just now. Get back to the manta in a few weeks.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Finally got it up on the spit. I managed to get the inner sill on the passenger's side done. I thought this was quite a tricky piece to build back up but it's all hidden so didn't bother too much with how it looks as long as the strength was there. Here are some before and afters.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Another wee repair done and that finishes that area off now. Onto wheel arches next. 

I'm fitting a 400 kit so not too bothered about how they look. Was thinking of cutting the old arch back so all the rot was gone, then just expending the old inner arch out to meet the lip of the fibreglass 400 arch.

Anyone did this before. Looking for a simple solution.

 

 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

No updated in a long time. Progress been really slow but slow is better than none. 

The welding was a real saga for me. Never welded or cut a piece of metal before I bought this shell. Learned some real lessons and I could have went back to the start and done some of the earlier work I'd done as I could see how much I had improved.

Anyway got the underside all done. Sprayed it with matt black stone chip and ready to fit the axles back on next and get it off the spit.

Next up axles then engine and gearbox fitted. Might get that before Christmas 😄

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...