400R build.

5 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

Joining the poly disc club, got two cars to strip of original paint. 

Q? Is there any other shapes available, for a drill, as hard to access some corner areas with a flat disc. 

Sort of, not sure about drill, but I gave a pad kit fir a die grinder and my 99deg mini grinder, but after that not sure. Local sand blaster I guess is going to be the best way if you have a tight corner you want to get into.

11 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

Joining the poly disc club, got two cars to strip of original paint. 

Q? Is there any other shapes available, for a drill, as hard to access some corner areas with a flat disc. 

Yes you can get drum ones with a shaft to go into drills etc

like this https://www.frost.co.uk/shaft-mounted-strip-disc/

once they were down a bit they are really useful for the little nooks and crannies

• Like 3
  • 2 months later...

No updated for a while but I've been getting stuff done.

Got the front end stripped and painted. I used bonda primer as on it 1st. It's a epoxy based paint with added zinc but doesn't use an activator so there's no waste if you put too much in the gun. You can also paint it with a bush, Ideal for inner sills etc. Sounds like decent stuff and it sprayed on easy.

Next I coated it with 2 part high build primer then knocked it back with a block and some 120 or 180 grit wet n dry.

I decided to got for polar white 2 pack paint. The spaying didn't go as well as I'd hoped. I did have an orange peel effect (I am a beginner). After some research and some messing around it looks like the air pressure was too low. I knocked it back with 1500 then polished it and it looks decent now 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

I made a start with the passenger side sill area. I did the inner part from the rear seat area.

It's nice to compare this are to what I started with

• Like 7

Big time to repair that around the steering column bearing and bulkhead👍. looks a solid repair .

My AsconaA was pretty bad around there too, took a lot of steel and time 😬

Fairplay, going great guns there with the welding and painting,  great repairs on places that are not easy, another manta saved, been along time since ive seen a manta that pale blue colour, must be a B? Pre 83. 

• Like 1

Nice work . It's for sure a B1, it has got those two grilles (left & right) in front of the windshield. Keep up the good work👍

• Like 2
On 22/04/2021 at 00:21, H-400 said:

Nice work . It's for sure a B1, it has got those two grilles (left & right) in front of the windshield. Keep up the good work👍

Thanks guys. Its an early cavalier MK1 shell. I think it's pre 1980. I just changed the nosecone over as I prefer the manta look and the nosecone was rotten anyway. Side project happening just now with a wee mx5 I use for autotesting is taking my time just now. Get back to the manta in a few weeks.

• Like 1