‘74 A on the bay

What are people doing to get correct, updated evaluations?  Where are they getting them from?

The club had a basic guide on here a few years ago, probably needs updated now!

In the past my insurance company required a evaluation, and photos, every angle of car, inside and out.

What is everyone else doing? 

That's why mine is only down for 5.5K as they want me to have a valuation from the club. I did enquire a few years ago when i thought i might have had it back on the road (wishful thinking!!) and i think i needed to provide pics and full details of mods etc.. to get something.

I think its something that would be good if the club could provide. I would be happy to pay a fee for it so maybe could be something to look at to help the club (if it was a paid for service) as well as helping us get all accurate valuations??

Im sure there must be lots out there undervalued?

Thoughts????

Andy

The club can offer advice on values based on previously achieved prices when sold, this is easy when the car sells on ebay or at an auction house as this info is in the public domain.

I keep a keen eye on what various Manta models are being advertised for but cannot always say what they finally achieved as some members are very coy about revealing what their car sold for.

What is in no doubt is that Manta values have risen on average around  20% each year.

Some models are rising faster than others for example Manta GTE Exclusive coupes in very good show condition are the most sought after, i believe Chris Burt's recently sold Exclusive Coupe rose around 50% in value in the two years he owned it.

Manta GTE coupes in very good condition are also sought after.

Lets look at Manta A values as they are generally not as sought after as Manta GTE coupes but due to their rarity in very good condition are commanding high prices.

Using my cars as examples lets look at what i paid for them & what i believe they could sell for now

I bought my Manta A SR from the late Ron Daymond in September 2016 this was after Ron had advertised it on the forum  for offers around £7000 the car had 1 month left on the MOT & it needed welding to one jacking point & welding to one Swan neck. I offered Ron £5800 which was accepted as Ron wanted the car to go to a club member who would keep it original. What would it sell for now four years after i bought it ? I believe £12000 - £14000 is possible.

1805756292_MantaA1.thumb.jpg.6c46e0f43f84bc73c4a1a93c0f5bca06.jpg

I bought my Manta B SR Berlinetta in August 2013 & paid £4500 for it which was a lot of money but i wanted it because it only had 39000 miles & was un-restored & original. What would it sell for now seven years after i bought it ? I believe £10000 + is possible

369.thumb.jpg.7248e482c587e5bcdf83c4508e7abb94.jpg

I bought my Ascona B in May 2013 & paid £3800 for it. It was an immaculate time warp car then & its in largely the same condition now. What would it sell for now seven years after i bought it ? I believe £7000 + is possible.

167.thumb.jpg.36905394fccad57664c4fe022185605f.jpg

In conclusion if someone says "whats my Manta worth" well its worth what someone is willing to pay. Its value for insurance purposes is what it would cost to buy a similar condition replacement.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Any reps down in the South?

Hope to have mine back on the road in the next month! (finally) and it would be nice to get a decent value for it. It needs painting but is solid and almost every part has been changed for new! Mine is quite a bit modified so i know sometimes that can affect the value of what its work as not everyone wants that type of car but to replace it would not be a cheap with the price of parts getting expensive now for the A.

Any thoughts would be welcome

http://www.theopelproject.com/?p=1918

Thanks

Andy

Lancaster insurance. 

Pictures, copies of receipts, information of work carried out. 

You put what you think its worth. 

If they agree,happy days.

Valuation  guaranteed for  2 years.

Like I said earlier. My old b that stuart has recently  purchased  was valued and insured for  £30.000.

Stuart's got the valuation reports  for the last 9 years included in the portfolio  I gave him. 

Get all yours valued and  insured  correctly. Please 😢😢😢🤞

We (on the other side of the water) have to go to a firm that is legally authorised to evaluate damage on cars and is also authorised to tax (valuate) our oldtimers. About two years ago we had a accident in our own club, two friends drove in each other car. It hapened in Holland, one car was German and the other one from Luxembourgh. So because it was an international accident we had to call the police. And they had automaticly called the fire brigade... So those fire brigade guys were so "Gung -Ho " they wanted to cut one of our cars open with their hydraulic scissors! 

After that incident I went directly to a firm to renew my valuation report, as Big Stu wrote above: Do it and hope you never have to use it!

• Like 1

Warning, without this running, classic insurance will pay market value or less, now i did ask them (normal everyday car) where do they get this information from? They say Market Value on either, search engine, autotrader, or whats my car worth! Says it all really! 

A good recent example is the dolphin grey exc, coupe. Hopefully owner didnt get ripped off by insurance, although car is being fixed, but im sure it was horrible to have it happen, and to deal with aftermath

6 hours ago, Rapierdave said:

I keep a keen eye on what various Manta models are being advertised 

Good answer mr sunbeam,

Some adverts surprise me, one was Dannys yellow b coupe, i personally thought it was undervalved, at the time an exclusive that needed welding was sold close to 8k? And not undervaluing Mr Rapiers B above, whats the difference in this, and big stu, 30k (valued) B. Im not dissing anyone car,

I dont know either car, or owners etc, both are very nice cars.

Personally i prefare a B over any gte, or exclusive. So would I be bias or would someone else be, over a much prefared later manta, and is that personal taste. 

It would be great if the club could offer members, upon renewal of their membership, for their cars to be updated and agreed on valuation. Lets face it no one knows more about these cars than us, that guide the club came up with was a starting point and could be used.

What 611 said about Manta A prices and spares, totally agree, i have a car, with some parts for example, 6 point roll cage, plated LSD, bilstein shocks, early round holed revolutions, these 4 items are proving real difficult to find, bilstein dont make these shocks, has to be over 15yrs since i seen a LSD advertised, revolution dont make these wheels, never seen a cage advertised. 

Value of these 4 items alone roughly 2.5+k, cage appox 600, shocks 500, LSD 1k,  revos, 500. But they cannot be replaced or atleast very, very difficult. Thats modified stuff etc

Same for mr daves, manta or ascona, originals, where do you go to find a replacement for them?  Where do you find a replacement.

We have been running or own mini economy, prices of parts increase car values, or is it the other way round?

• Like 3

Mine is no show car but despite needing some welding for the mot remains very roadworthy & slowly/regularly gets bits replaced. To get another would cost more than I have it insured for but it’s hard to justify an increase without an independent report. 
Things like this don’t help either

59FD81E8-2710-4C29-96D1-2F00A4FCDF72.jpeg

Edited by Trooker
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ®evo03 said:

Some adverts surprise me, one was Dannys yellow b coupe, i personally thought it was undervalved, at the time an exclusive that needed welding was sold close to 8k? And not undervaluing Mr Rapiers B above, whats the difference in this, and big stu, 30k (valued) B. Im not dissing anyone car,

Same for mr daves, manta or ascona, originals, where do you go to find a replacement for them?  Where do you find a replacement.

Stuarts Manta was advertised several times over a 18 month period for £12500 - £15000, Stuart thought he had sold it initially for £13000 but the guy was a messer.

I assume Stuart got roughly what he wanted for it this time.

Carl & Danny's Manta was worth more imo but they couldn't afford to wait around for a long time to find a buyer as they needed a return on the money they had invested in the car.

My potential prices for my cars are based on achievable sale prices in the current market using the same data that classic car insurance loss adjusters use i.e. prices achieved in the recent past.

In the latest edition of Classic Cars magazine Quentin Wilson reckons Manta prices are set to increase dramatically. 

Could i ever find a replacement for my Manta B or Ascona, getting less likely with each passing year.  

7 minutes ago, Trooker said:

Mine is no show car but despite needing some welding for the mot remains very roadworthy & slowly/regularly gets bits replaced. To get another would cost more than I have it insured for but it’s hard to justify an increase without an independent report. 
Things like this don’t help either

59FD81E8-2710-4C29-96D1-2F00A4FCDF72.jpeg

Those magazine guides are normally about two years out of date

In the latest issue of Classic Cars magazine Quentin Wilson says values of Mantas have increased by up to 300%, based on the values above he's right !

5 minutes ago, Rapierdave said:

Those magazine guides are normally about two years out of date

In the latest issue of Classic Cars magazine Quentin Wilson says values of Mantas have increased by up to 300%, based on the values above he's right !

That’s good to hear, I’ll have to look for a copy. 

Be interesting to see the new Quentin price guide, even if it is two years out of date? Compare it against the OMOC guide, think it could be two year out of date now! And have a look at whats one the market.

An OMOC guide would be a good start for reps and members, with the request to add additions, special rare parts, or 5k paint receipts etc.

11 minutes ago, ®evo03 said:

Be interesting to see the new Quentin price guide, even if it is two years out of date? Compare it against the OMOC guide, think it could be two year out of date now! And have a look at whats one the market.

An OMOC guide would be a good start for reps and members, with the request to add additions, special rare parts, or 5k paint receipts etc.

See my post in general discussion 👍