"400" repair

H-400

Not done a lot on the Manta, more being relocating stuff to my other garage (the rental one) to make space for the work that has to be done. And I had a early visit of Santa:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

An engine stand, normally I can use it from a friend but with all those corona situations I bought one. And I used it already to fit a 240 gearbox on it. This gearbox is ready for a forum member but thanks to corona it is still waiting for him. So sometimes I turn the gearbox with oil to be sure everything stays lubricated but with this tool it is a lot easier!

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Some gaskets arrived but take a look at the website. Some parts are cheap:

And sometimes you'v got to enjoy life 🍺:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

The engine is out, so we can clean the engine bay :

Removed the clutch house, flywheel (yes also the P-bolt) etc... 

This is what I wanted to fix, the oil seal:

But later I noticed the 2nd cilinder has got a compression problem...

Engine ready on his stand to remove the head. First I'v got to check (again) the valve clearance before removing the camshafts, the valve clearance is done with shims so it takes some time to adjust/measure them.

• Like 1

Engine & car are safe, the sound of the alarm will wake up the dead. This is a pic of the head:

with some engines you can push the valve with a handle and take the shim out (VW etc.) but this one you need to remove the camshaft. I need to fit new stemseals so everything has got to be removed.

• Like 3

Had some time to work on the engine. Last weeks I'v lost a lot of time cause I am doing exersices at the phisio. 2-3 times a week and always 3hours but my knee is getting better. Today I was home at 14.15, and I still had to eat...

Checked the valve clearance before the camshafts go out:

Camshafts out, you can see all the thermostatic house is still on the head. One bolt is stucked in the aluminium and I'll have to heat it to get it out:

Head off, looks like a normal CIH. The chain guides look like they are machine made but not as a serial part.

Parts on my toolbox:

Head on the bench, checked the engine and the problem cilinder has got still nice hone-signs. The axial space looks the same as the other pistons. The valves in the head look great and no signs of problems with the head gasket. Hope to remove soon the 2nd piston to check the rings.

Stay safe, Herman

• Like 2

Found out what is wrong with the second cilinder. Didn't see it at the first time, was looking in the engine and on the piston but everything looked ok? Closer inspection and I came on this:

Its not a piston ring, but a piece of the piston between the first and second compression ring. You can see the middle part is already brown and soaked with oil and the ends are shining. It kept stucked on the piston but after some time it fell of. The inside of the cilinder looks ok, the honing marks are still there but the piston has got some wear on the side of the broken part.  I fitted the compression rings in the engine and the gap is like new, need a professional tool to measure the inside of the cilinder. Have a digital vernier caliper but that's not the way to do it. The days are over I could go to the barracks to get some tools 😪...

All the valve cups and shims are removed before I handle the head, my wife gave me some plastic cups to keep everything organised, black is exhaust and bleu inlet:

Have a nice evening.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

Think I read about the weakness on Ring Lands on OpelGT forums, one of reasons why they was looking at alternative pistons/rod setups.

Going to be expensive now, depending on how you feel about keeping the pistons matched. Personally I would just make sure Amy new/used you get is the same weight, and if they did not do it from factory, good time to balance all the rod&piston weights.

Great little cups, hope it's not the Mrs best China set 😂😂

Hi Jess, looks as I have to fit a new set of pistons. That decision is allready made. I know the cranckshaft can have 300hp as delivered in the standard "400" and the rods are also capable but the pistons were always a problemchild on standard "400"engines. I have yet 110.000km on this engine but when I bought the car It had about 67.000km's and the compression was as new. All 13.5bar, so maybe the bad modern feul and self combustion can be a reason why that ring snapped off. I know I had to pull off the decompression-line of the ignition when I used Dutch feul and also in the UK. It was as marbles were playing in my engine but I was always aware to shut down the decompression before anything could be damaged. 

So expensive, yes. And as you wrote gonna check the rods & pistons on their weight, thanks for the tip.

The wife is happy she could help me with the China-plastic, I will let her know you noticed😁

• Like 2

Hi Andy, no they are not the same. The 8V pistons have those 2 half-moon shaped milled "figures" in them to give space for the 2 valves. Think also it is possible the "400" ones are forged, had contact today with a friend that ownes also a "400" and he is also a mecanical. He said he had the exactly the same damage in his engine.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, H-400 said:

Hi Andy, no they are not the same. The 8V pistons have those 2 half-moon shaped milled "figures" in them to give space for the 2 valves. Think also it is possible the "400" ones are forged, had contact today with a friend that ownes also a "400" and he is also a mecanical. He said he had the exactly the same damage in his engine.

Maybe there is a difference between the 400 pistons depending upon application. even if they are all forged, there is no guarantee that the quality of the alloy used was consistent.

So it's probably going to be cheaper to get get a set made. Getting a new set off Wosner or custom forged set manufactured will definitely be stronger than oem due to the engineering improvements since the 1980's too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jessopia74 said:

Maybe there is a difference between the 400 pistons depending upon application. even if they are all forged, there is no guarantee that the quality of the alloy used was consistent.

So it's probably going to be cheaper to get get a set made. Getting a new set off Wosner or custom forged set manufactured will definitely be stronger than oem due to the engineering improvements since the 1980's too.

Think i would go the Wosner route if i was doing the 2.4 again. They also have the scuff coat on the skirts would would be a help on the 2.4.

1 hour ago, H-400 said:

What cost are you looking at for a set? as i know the standard 2.4 aren't cheap these days!

• Like 1

I bought a new set 2.4 Mahle pistos with rings and pistonpins for 500€ brand new OEM when I overhauled the engine of the GSI. Came from Germany from a firm that buys overstock from other firms. A set of forged pistons with rings will be around 1000€ 😢.  And I most pistons have a CR of 12/1, for street use not so good with the modern feul. I am waiting for an answer, someone is looking around for me.

Things to do: Remove the valves and springs to get to the stemseals, the pulley is stucked on the cranck and measuring the dialeter of the cilinders. I am going to take it easy, have all a nice Christmas-evening.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, H-400 said:

I bought a new set 2.4 Mahle pistos with rings and pistonpins for 500€ brand new OEM when I overhauled the engine of the GSI. Came from Germany from a firm that buys overstock from other firms. A set of forged pistons with rings will be around 1000€ 😢.  And I most pistons have a CR of 12/1, for street use not so good with the modern feul. I am waiting for an answer, someone is looking around for me.

Things to do: Remove the valves and springs to get to the stemseals, the pulley is stucked on the cranck and measuring the dialeter of the cilinders. I am going to take it easy, have all a nice Christmas-evening.

It might also be worth trying the guys at Opel Gt source to see if they know anyone over in the US as they seem to find it quite easy to get custom pistons made over there.

Im going to use the Christmas period to swap out the engine bay airbox on my A as the current one is not as good as the spare i have.

Have a great Christmas Herman.

Andy

• Like 1

Thanks for the info & help. The guy that works in the carpartsshop in my hometown is a US car freek. As we with our Manta's. This rebuild will need some time cause the parts I need must fit in a rare car, but I noticed raceparts (high compression) are easier to find. 

Ordered today a tool to remove the valves/springs, costs 29€ and looks OK to me. I can make a tool myself but then I have to buy a tube that fits on the spring retainer, a tube that I can use as a handle and also some steel L-profiles. I got to machine it and weld it also so I think this was the right decision. And my son is happy, just order it Dad! The more he doesn't have to buy when I'm old and grey😁.

Have a nice Christmas day

• Like 3