"400" repair

H-400

@Pounsett: And she came back from working out, so she was warmed up😁...

Sometimes I put parts in the kitchen oven before welding or she finds something in the freezer before I want to fit a bearing etc.   She is used to those situations, think thats why we don't have a dishwasher. I would clean my carb's in that!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 06/03/2021 at 23:09, H-400 said:

@Pounsett: And she came back from working out, so she was warmed up😁...

Sometimes I put parts in the kitchen oven before welding or she finds something in the freezer before I want to fit a bearing etc.   She is used to those situations, think thats why we don't have a dishwasher. I would clean my carb's in that!

You should buy your own dishwasher for your carbs, and maybe you will catch the wife cleaning some dishes in it sometime? Lol

• Haha 3

Just an update, nothing important happened. Had some mails from GLS so I could track the parts I ordered. One parcel came from Germany so this will be the one from Risse Motorsport. The expensive one... So suddenly I had a email the parcel was delivered and I was surprised, nobody rang my doorbell and I was at home. Maybe the neighbours took the parcel inside, happens more with those delivery guys. Checked my neighbours but no parcel. This can't be possible, maybe they dropped the parcel on my doorstep en it is stolen??? Didn't sleep that night, in the morning I took the phone to call Risse Motorsport because that parcel was insured. They were very helpfull but they said it is impossible their parcel is stolen, they use always UPS and thursday it was still at their shop.   Lets say that was more than a relief!  Later that day I had an email from Ebay, my parcell was delivered! Ordered only one thing at Ebay and that's those exhaust gaskets... Later more😖.

About the "400": The whole engine is open, took my time to weigh the conrods etc... Look at the conrods, never saw this on a normal CIH, numbered :

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Wanted to balance the conrods but looks like these engines had some special attention, all the conrods had the same weight, on the gramm:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Did this also with the big end and some were 2 gramm off, but I will not grind it away cause the total weight will be not the same:

Work on the bottom engine is done, waiting for the parts of Risse:

The head needs some porting, not that much just making everything smoothly. Checked some works info and the difference between the road version and grp B is only one millimeter in diameter of inletchannals.  

Have a nice Sunday evening.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Porting the head, did not grind a lot away. Just making the curves smooth, also on the seems of the casting:

Grinded more alu on the outside, used a gasket as template.

Polishing the combustion chambers, so they keep longer clean:

My fingers hurt, but it is worth it

• Like 9

1 minute ago, H-400 said:

Porting the head, did not grind a lot away. Just making the curves smooth, also on the seems of the casting:

Grinded more alu on the outside, used a gasket as template.

Polishing the combustion chambers, so they keep longer clean:

My fingers hurt, but it is worth it

Looking great! 👍

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some time ago I posted some news, had some days a low profile on this forum.  All the valves are lapped and fitted. Also the stemseals. Because the original stemseals are not available anymore I fitted a size that are almost identical:

As usually I use a plastic foil to protect the stemseal from the sharp edges of the grooves:

To push the seals at their place I used a tube without sharp edges that fits on the metal part of the seal:

Checked with a mirror if the stemseal is fitted as wanted and yes it looks OK:

Before fitting the valve spring with the tool I wanted to know how deep I could press the tool, so I layed an upper valve retainer on the stemseal:

Using the tool:

All the valves fitted in the head:

To be sure what head gasket to fit I measured the combustion chambers, and luckily they are all the same ,some more or less some drops: 52,50CC:

After close inspection of the bearings of the crankshaft I noticed one half bearing with an imperfection so I'm going to fit new bearings. My local parts-shop delivered last year those bearings but yet not anymore. Looked at the internet and found a set on a well known website: The Opel Project! 

Andy known as "611" on this forum sold me the set of bearings, so thanks Andy 👍

After some calculating I ordered today the head gasket (reinforced) at Risse, again waiting.

Stay safe, Herman

• Like 7

Valve clearance is adjusted. Not the most popular job but needs to be done. I was afraid cause of the valve lapping the adjustment could be changed and it did. Before I stripped the cams etc. I measured the clearance and fitted everyting in plastic numbered cups. After refitting everything two valves were too tight, they must have 0,15-0,20mm clearance. There were a few with 0,20 so I measured those shims and after a few hours and refitting/measuring this job was done. I don't have a set of shims so I'm happy I didn't had to order new ones @ Risse. Remember I had to do this with those fantastic Jaguar straight six engines that we had in the CVRT's. The tappets and shims looked the same.

Picture of the head with cams:

Some will notice I have to remove the cams again before fitting the head on the engine, but this work of patience is done. 

Have all a nice Sunday

• Like 6

A parcel arrived some days ago, was informed with an émail and I thought it would be the set of bearings of Andy. But no it was a parcel of Risse, Germany:

Inside the 1,5 mm headgasket and a baffle plate:

Some think why the baffle plate? It is easy made but the one of Risse is rather cheap and I can make a template of it. 

Cleaned the gearbox and fitting new oil seals:

Grts, Herman

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, H-400 said:

A parcel arrived some days ago, was informed with an émail and I thought it would be the set of bearings of Andy. But no it was a parcel of Risse, Germany:

Some think why the baffle plate? It is easy made but the one of Risse is rather cheap and I can make a template of it. 

Grts, Herman

Excellent updates as always H. Many thanks.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, H-400 said:

Grts, Herman

Quite interesting to see the difference between the head gasket for yours and the standard one for the 2.4!

With extra holes for cooling for the 2.4

• Like 1

When you look at the Risse head gasket one of the holes on the front of the bolts is oval, so it fits on classic CIH engines and also on a "400" engine. Think also on the cut off 24V heads/engines, because that head is rebuilded to fit on a CIH.

Today the bearings of Andy (611) arrived, with some delay because I had to pay some taxes. So in the future we (EU mainland) have to think over what to order and how we "define" parts we order in the UK. Nevertheless I'm happy with those bearings so Andy thumbs up! 👍

Noticed yesterday there is a gasket between the gearbox house and the plate whit the oil seal. Looked it up and yes it is original and I don't have that gasket. So gonna order it at our friend Thomas "Edelschmiede", and when you open that website I will order more ofcourse. While I'm waiting for that I will work on the engine.

Grts, Herman

• Like 3

On 16/04/2021 at 16:01, H-400 said:

When you look at the Risse head gasket one of the holes on the front of the bolts is oval, so it fits on classic CIH engines and also on a "400" engine. Think also on the cut off 24V heads/engines, because that head is rebuilded to fit on a CIH.

Today the bearings of Andy (611) arrived, with some delay because I had to pay some taxes. So in the future we (EU mainland) have to think over what to order and how we "define" parts we order in the UK. Nevertheless I'm happy with those bearings so Andy thumbs up! 👍

Noticed yesterday there is a gasket between the gearbox house and the plate whit the oil seal. Looked it up and yes it is original and I don't have that gasket. So gonna order it at our friend Thomas "Edelschmiede", and when you open that website I will order more ofcourse. While I'm waiting for that I will work on the engine.

Grts, Herman

Its a dangerous thing looking on Edelschmiede as there are so many nice extra bits you end up ordering 🙂

• Like 2

Yes Andy, it's always as opening the cave of Alibaba😄.  At this moment your new bearings are allready fitted and torqued. Am yet fitting the conrods on those new forged pistons, pics will follow.

• Like 1

Pics of the new pistons/rods:

My fingers hurt a bit cause of fitting those C-clips. 

Close pic of a piston top:

Putting them in the engine took some time, those bottom oil rings have very tiny rings and wanted not to break them. The pistons in the engine:

Began with cleaning the timing cover, wanted to pull out the oil seal as usually with a screwdriver but this one didn't flip out. So I took a hammer and a tool to beat it out from the inside and no I only bended the lips. Looks like it is glued?

Going to grind it open with a dremel, tomorrow...

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, H-400 said:

Putting them in the engine took some time, those bottom oil rings have very tiny rings and wanted not to break them. The pistons in the engine:

Began with cleaning the timing cover, wanted to pull out the oil seal as usually with a screwdriver but this one didn't flip out. So I took a hammer and a tool to beat it out from the inside and no I only bended the lips. Looks like it is glued?

Interesting mate, need a set myself shortly for the 16v conversion

5 hours ago, H-400 said:

Looking very nice Herman. Good to hear the bearing are all ok. Those clips are a bugger and i know what you mean about hurting your fingers 🙂

When i fitted my pistons last time i used a sleeve ring compressor, well worth the money and so easy to use with virtually no chance of any issues with rings using these.

http://www.theopelproject.com/fitting-pistons/

Andy

• Like 3