"400" repair

13 hours ago, H-400 said:

Hi Andy, I used this:

https://www.hbm-machines.com/producten/automotive/automotive-gereedschap-1/motorcompartiment-1/cilinder-en-zuiger-gereedschap/hbm-zuigerveer-compressor-set-1

But I saw a video with that tool you used and the piston slides nice into the engine block. 

Looks like a good one and easier than those band ones 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Porting the head, did not grind a lot away. Just making the curves smooth, also on the seems of the casting: Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

The "400" had some things to do after months of staying in the oldtimer storage. Looked as the AFM had some problems but before solving that problem I wanted to be sure the electronical ignition is ok

Some time ago I posted some news, had some days a low profile on this forum.  All the valves are lapped and fitted. Also the stemseals. Because the original stemseals are not available anymore I fitte

Posted Images

Posted (edited)

Some time ago I posted something on this topic. Didn't do that much but more thinking & improvising...First problem: The oil pump gears! Opened the Risse Oil Pump and noticed the gears are not in a good condition. Never had any problems with the oil pressure but you can see why I was surprised:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

They look worn and the clearance was also a bit too much. I am not a fan of those big oil pumps cause a standard pump gives enough oil as long it is in good condition. I have another set of gears but looking for new ones... 

Fitted the chain guides on the engine block and also a new oil seal in the timing house:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

The engine ready to fit the timing house:

Timing house & water pump fitted:

Looks like a normal CIH:

Hmm, think not:

With the head on the engine I checked the valve clearance again, and I had a lot of work to set them. Had to mix a lot of measurments (and shims) to end that I have three valves that are too tiny so those shims need to be  replaced... Did this some time ago with the head before fitting on the engine...Think I replaced those cams 6 times, why not!

Last Friday I bitten my dental filling in pieces so after more than a week I can visit my dentist next tuesday. The pain is killing me but now I'm going to drink a beer!

Have all a nice weekend and stay safe!

Edited by H-400
  • Like 6
2 hours ago, H-400 said:

Some time ago I posted something on this topic. Didn't do that much but more thinking & improvising...First problem: The oil pump gears! Opened the Risse Oil Pump and noticed the gears are not in a good condition. Never had any problems with the oil pressure but you can see why I was surprised:

They look worn and the clearance was also a bit too much. I am not a fan of those big oil pumps cause a standard pump gives enough oil as long it is in good condition. I have another set of gears but looking for new ones... 

Fitted the chain guides on the engine block and also a new oil seal in the timing house:

The engine ready to fit the timing house:

Timing house & water pump fitted:

Looks like a normal CIH:

Hmm, think not:

With the head on the engine I checked the valve clearance again, and I had a lot of work to set them. Had to mix a lot of measurments (and shims) to end that I have three valves that are too tiny so those shims need to be  replaced... Did this some time ago with the head before fitting on the engine...Think I replaced those cams 6 times, why not!

Last Friday I bitten my dental filling in pieces so after more than a week I can visit my dentist next tuesday. The pain is killing me but now I'm going to drink a beer!

Have all a nice weekend and stay safe!

Looking good Herman and beer always helps 🙂

• Like 1

Looked around for info about those long oil pump gears and they seem to like to "dance" in the oil pump house, checked also the clearance between the gears and the bottom plate. They had too much play so it had probably some effect on the condition the gears are at this moment. 

After some measuring I'm going to replace 5 shims, not sure I'm going to order them @ Risse or looking for a local shop that can grind them perfectly. If the surface is not 100% flat it will push the cam follower out of the centre in the aluminium head.  

A pic of checking the clearance of the cranckshaft, Nasa proved technology:

And some parts of Edelschmiede arrived:

Have a nice Sunday

• Like 2

Got a engineering shop to grain down some cam shaft sims as l had a head gas flowed ect could not get a sim to fit

Was spot on had no problems 

• Like 1