D REG IRMSCHER DOLPHIN GREY COUPE ACCIDENT DAMAGE

ANDY ABBOTT

So just acquired this D reg irmscher built dolphin grey exclusive coupe. Some of you may have seen it in another section. I'm hoping I can save this one but it's in a bit of a bad way after having a little glance over it . Although door gaps are good, roof is not buckled and C posts are un damaged so theres hope yet. Can it be saved? Well let's find out and give it a go. 🙂

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Quick pull with stacker has pulled it a lot. However there wasnt much to pull on as the rear panel and lower rear quarters are detached from the car. Hopefully it will be on the jig in the next few days to see what we can do with it 

• Like 6

Definitely onto Jig mate. I suspect it will just be panelling then. Repaired my nates Silver GTE that was very similar back in the late 1990s although we had 3other cars for spares at that time! 
If anything I can help you with let me know, nowt is for sale,  but if you get stuck drop me a message and see if I can help with the parts.

• Thanks 1

Thanks all. Will get it on jig and go from there. I have 2x rear half of mantas here for cuts inner arch etc... also have managed to source a passenger rear quarter and a rear panel. I must also admit I jumped the gun a little and have purchased another shell as a worst case scenario. Although I'm confident now that this can be saved. 

• Like 6

On 23/09/2020 at 01:01, ANDY ABBOTT said:

Thanks all. Will get it on jig and go from there. I have 2x rear half of mantas here for cuts inner arch etc... also have managed to source a passenger rear quarter and a rear panel. I must also admit I jumped the gun a little and have purchased another shell as a worst case scenario. Although I'm confident now that this can be saved. 

Fair play  Andy, I know a lot of chaps are definitely routing for you to save this 1.

• Thanks 1

Great to see this getting fixed, see if i can insert some scaled drawing, may help you, if not will pm them?

Andy have you ever produced a panel with ridges from an old panel, using the old panel as a form, guide or mould. Its a boot floor im trying to reproduce, any techniques would be much appreciated, its not opel. 

• Thanks 1

On 22/09/2020 at 18:00, GTEPETE said:

Can you share the reg number?

D234 BNV

13 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

Great to see this getting fixed, see if i can insert some scaled drawing, may help you, if not will pm them?

Andy have you ever produced a panel with ridges from an old panel, using the old panel as a form, guide or mould. Its a boot floor im trying to reproduce, any techniques would be much appreciated, its not opel. 

Unfortunately not mate, I make what i can and just try to purchase any used sections if it's a large section. Second hand if need be 

• 2 weeks later...

Had a few hours on this one today. Fully removed the damaged rear quarter and mocked up the new panels to see where they sat, it looks pretty close ! Still a bit of fettleing to do before welding on permanently, and still waiting for the jig being freed up so they can fit me in for a jig section. Hopfully next week. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, GTEPETE said:

Not sure what you plan to do with this car, if a member was looking to buy an Exclusive this would be a good time to approach you discuss specs/colour etc etc

I'd point blank refuse to do a colour change on a irmscher built D reg dolphin grey exclusive coupe 😂 this is one of my favourite colours and a rare car being irmscher built and not GM. only built by irmscher for one year if I'm correct and was then only available in monaco blue and dolphin grey, they came with bronze glass and orange piped seats rather than the green glass and red piped seats. The car will be for sale once finished and painted. As a good will gesture I'll first offer it back to its former keeper. If he doesn't want it I've had interest already shown from a couple of members but nothing set in stone 🙂

Edited by ANDY ABBOTT
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, ANDY ABBOTT said:

dolphin grey exclusive coupe 😂 this is one of my favourite colours and a rare car being irmscher built and not GM. only built by irmscher for one year if I'm correct and was then only available in monaco blue and dolphin grey, they came with bronze glass and orange piped seats rather than the green glass and red piped seats.

First Manta and current where both 87, oval lenses cibie quads, orange piped seats, monaco and dolphin. Was there anything else? Didnt realise irmscher only done two colours, something i learned today! 

So where the 88s where only available in black and red? 

No offence meant! D235 YPE (date reg 27.01.1987, chassis number WOL58H6028202) was the first Dolphin Grey Exclusive I looked at buying in 1990 (£5000) Remember the GTE and Exclusive boot decals being on different sides compared to later cars...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GTEPETE said:

No offence meant! D235 YPE (date reg 27.01.1987, chassis number WOL58H6028202) was the first Dolphin Grey Exclusive I looked at buying in 1990 (£5000) Remember the GTE and Exclusive boot decals being on different sides compared to later cars...

No offense taken, just saying I wouldnt change the colour on this lol.

2 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

So where the 88s where only available in black and red? 

Also 88MY Exclusive's also came in Artic White & Monaco Blue. 

56 minutes ago, ®evo03 said:

Think also the GM 88 and Irmscher 87 had GTE and exclusive on opposites, if i remember correctly

Yes, you do recall correctly. 

Incidentally, the Starmist Black Exclusive's came with silver Ronals rather than the anthracite Ronals fitted to all the other colours. Presumably, Opel thought that looked better. I'd have felt cheated. 

• Like 1

Andy, there are only 29 left ! Thats hatch and coupes, amazing really, as they all had sunroofs, see link below, only 1 manta DL ? Rarer than a 400.

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=opel+manta&commit=Search

Seriously though, how would you know! Really the OMOC should get more involved, maybe a club stats list etc. Years ago a nice club member had a exclusive register on the go, there where a few articles in the club magazine written by him this was nearly 20yrs ago, shame its all lost now. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

Andy, there are only 29 left ! Thats hatch and coupes, amazing really, as they all had sunroofs, see link below, only 1 manta DL ? Rarer than a 400.

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?utf8=✓&q=opel+manta&commit=Search

Seriously though, how would you know! Really the OMOC should get more involved, maybe a club stats list etc. Years ago a nice club member had a exclusive register on the go, there where a few articles in the club magazine written by him this was nearly 20yrs ago, shame its all lost now. 

There’s still a exclusive register Mick Harbridge runs it forgot his username on here though 

and get your membership renewal done 🤣🤣

Edited by garymanc