The first manta.

ANDY ABBOTT

So this car was the first manta kevin ever bought, and the first manta I ever went in, this is where it all started for us. Kevin sold the car back in the mid 90s and bought D235 JNB 16v coupe to replace it with, the car was never seen by us again. Now this is where it gets interesting. About 2/3 years ago kevin was on holiday in anglesey and took hes red coupe along with him to drive some of the lovely Welsh roads. He stopped for a break and to look at the views on copper mountain where he was approached by a man on a bicycle. "Nice manta mate" he said. I've got one of these sat on my drive I've owned it for years and not had time to get it back on the road. As the conversation thickened the registration D217 KNG was mentioned, kevin couldn't believe hes luck he had bumped into the man he sold the car to back in the 90s on a mountain in anglesey !! What are the chances ?? As they talked further it turns out the bloke only lived 10 mins away from my workshop  where the car had been sat on hes drive rotting away for years ! At this point the car was not for sale he was adamant he was going to restore it. Well a few weeks later the bloke had located my yard and popped in to say he wanted to sell the car back to is. A price was agreed and we went to pick it up and brought it home. It's in a bad way and due to us having so many other cars on the go it was placed in dry storage. Well today was finally its day. It's now in our workshop ready for its restoration to begin. This is going to be a mammoth task to undertake between us, but I'm so excited to do this one and very happy this car is back with us after all those years 😊

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Edited by ANDY ABBOTT
  • Like 17

That is great! I wish I could find my first Manta, it must be stashed somewhere as it was rock solid (I had done all the welding and fresh paint but it was jumping out of 2nd ) but after the MOT I had sold it with ran out it seemingly vanished. NAD 357P... suppose back then an iffy box might have been reason to break it.

• Like 1

Great story & amazing to have found it.

Good news that you put it into dry storage to prevent further deterioration.

When i saw the title of the thread i thought i was going to see a pic of a 1970 A lol.

You always remember your first Manta, mine was a 1978 SR Berlinetta.

• Like 2

I can imagine it being really bad, if you say its bad! Nice story, they all have a story dont they, thinking of writing them all down and saving them with the history of the car, think its an important story to tell and to keep the heritage alive.

On the side of being approached by randomers, couple of school kids throught my manta was an old lamborgini, bless em! 

Another was a guy approached me in a petrol station,

He said, being ages since i seen one of these!

Me, really!

He said, yeh last one i seen was my brothers almost twenty five years ago, it was a week old exclusive, a dual carriage way collision with a horse, he was killed instantly,

I was floored, didnt know what to say,

he said it was nice to see a manta again, reminded him of his brother, RIP, and put a wee smile on his face, 

Incidentally, i remember hearing of the accident as a kid, car travelled nearly half a mile on its roof. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, ®evo03 said:

I can imagine it being really bad, if you say its bad! Nice story, they all have a story dont they, thinking of writing them all down and saving them with the history of the car, think its an important story to tell and to keep the heritage alive.

On the side of being approached by randomers, couple of school kids throught my manta was an old lamborgini, bless em! 

Another was a guy approached me in a petrol station,

He said, being ages since i seen one of these!

Me, really!

He said, yeh last one i seen was my brothers almost twenty five years ago, it was a week old exclusive, a dual carriage way collision with a horse, he was killed instantly,

I was floored, didnt know what to say,

he said it was nice to see a manta again, reminded him of his brother, RIP, and put a wee smile on his face, 

Incidentally, i remember hearing of the accident as a kid, car travelled nearly half a mile on its roof. 

Jheez sad story, must have been doing some speed to travel that far on its roof. 

Couple of hours spent today just taking bits off and having a look around it, its had a very poor roof replacement at some point and some interesting repair works in its past lol. heres some pics. 

• Like 5

Job of the day was to start and get some strength back into it so it can go onto the turner.  
A little poke with the screwdriver of death and all was not as good as it seemed.  
The drivers A post outer skin Was always going to be replaced as I’ve new ones coming in from Germany.  
Bit what we wasn’t ready for was the terrible state of the inner. It was barely there and what was left is very badly corroded.  
Replacing an inner A post isn’t a job we have done before, so what did we do?

Yep.  Jumped straight in 😃

The inner A post has the door hinges on it and that more of less hangs in space once the outer is removed and especially if the sills are gone too.  
some measuring and a few spacers required.  Inner of the inner also needed some surgery as the rot had travelled. 
All parts not cut out were ground as much as possible to remove surface rust and a liberal coating of bilt applied.  
A piece of the screen a post was removed to gain access to the inner of the inner of the a post inner of the upper inner part 😃

• Like 5

mines gone in exactly the sme place and also inside the windcreen pillar same as yours altho ime thinking of removing thr inner two skins of the pillar in order to  clean it all up  as you cant relly get in there otherwise

Edited by stumpy
  • Like 1

on my own there was a hole in the windscreen pillar around the size of a 5p peice,,, the car was sat outside  around ten years i think water had been getting in there  running down inbetween the panels of the A post causing the damage i have a glass sunroof so dont beleive i have the problems associated with the factory fitted item

Edited by stumpy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 06/11/2020 at 10:09, stumpy said:

pretty much like looking at what i have ahead of me  in all the same areas  and in a similaire state did you get the floors from the uk or germany

Floor panels and A post covers only available from Leidinger in Germany. 

Edited by Kevin Abbott

Floors now in. Both fronts and one rear and 1/2 a rear on the other side. 
we had the rear floors in our parts stash and never seen them before. Never will now as they are welded in 🤣

A post on the drivers side fully welded in now.  
A post to inner wheel arches looked ok but I’ve ordered a pair of replacements made to order from Matt Belshaw. 
“ let’s have a look at the passenger A post and take off the outer “ said Andrew.  
oh boy.  The inner on that side needs replacing too. 

scuttle panel needed a small repair so we chose to replace the entire thing and do a small repair on the replacement.  Good job we cut the old one off as it was already two pieces and rusty.  The passenger a post underneath the scuttle had been repaired by the previous owner with silicone and a pan scrubber 🤣

Some new items ordered too. A full set of poly bushes including the anti roll bar drop link and a coolex 70 mm core aluminium rad with fan and thermostatic switch.  

The frontera also arrived that’s donating its 40 thousand mile engine and the rest will be turned into bean cans 😃

Edited by Kevin Abbott
  • Like 6